Took the plunge

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SK Coach

Reaction score
Excited to be a part of the FJR club. Rode home a 2014 today and it turned 2000 miles on the odometer on the way. Look forward to learning more about the bike and I promise to never ask about tires or oil. Wind noise will have to be addressed. Stock shield on a 6 foot 3 guy, at 75 mph I know how Dorothy and Toto felt. First shaft drive bike Ive owned and the smoothness of it is something I think I will like quite a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome aboard Coach. I'd tell you to get a Cee Bailey barn door like I have on my '14 (works great for me at 6') but I guess they quit making moto windshields anymore. A yami touring or Cal. Sci. might be in order. Plenty of threads on here that talk about all the options. Enjoy the '14, you'll love it.

Welcome!! By any chance did you buy Scooters bike? IIRC, he was looking to sell his 14 with only 2000 on the clock.

Regardless - hope you enjoy your FJR!!

I don’t think so. I bought it from a dealer in Texas. I did some research, including on this site before I bought and read about the wind noise, so I wasn’t totally uninformed about It. Thanks for the suggestions about the shields and I will take any more info you guys have. Coming from a Kawasaki ZRX so it’s my first foray into sports touring.

Even if you find a miracle shield (there isn't one) and the best helmet in the world - ALWAYS WEAR EAR PLUGS!! The last four words are all caps (shouting) for the many of us who didn't.

I hear you, at least I can at the moment. Already picked up some cheap ones, but I enjoy listening to music while riding. Anyone have suggestions on that end?

I hear you, at least I can at the moment. Already picked up some cheap ones, but I enjoy listening to music while riding. Anyone have suggestions on that end?
There are a zillion threads on the subject - this forum and many others. The following is a very recent one on this forum:
https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/174267-earplugs-just-me/?hl=earplug

I have tried custom made plugs and they never worked. The best for me has been the orange foam Howard Leight ones but there are as many other choices as there are riders. There are some options with custom plugs with built in speakers - expensive but people who have them, love them.

Welcome to the FJR

The Yamaha touring wind shield and the Yamaha comfort seat and it works for me (both from Yamaha). I am 5' 10" 190. Also added tip over protection using the Yamaha frame sliders and (can't remember the company) bag protectors.

the ear plugs I use are

https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Honeywell-Visibility-Disposable/dp/B0007XJOLG/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1526228067&sr=8-7&keywords=foam+ear+plugs

and believe it or not make my Sena 20S sound better in my Shoe GTAir helmet (it brings the bass back). I ride with the windshield all the way down and not too much noise with this set up.

You may enjoy some variant of the National Cycle aftermarket windshields for someone your size.

I've had one for the last 5 years, and its been excellent as a replacement for the original on my old Gen 1 machine.

Its pretty durable, and since I've avoided using abrasives or any cleaners with ammonia (aka Windex), it is still clear and clean.