Unknown rubber bit...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossKean

Reaction score
Any ideas? Appeared while washing the bike. About 1.5" long. Definite molded shape to the end.

20180519_171203.jpg

Not sure it's the same from the angle in the photo, but could it be one of these?...

IMG_3067_zps8j5uzkbe.jpg

Toward the front. Above and in front of the tank would be my best guess.

The upper edge appears torn but not the lower edge.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't find it on the parts breakdown, but it goes under the tank and I would run my accessory wiring behind it. I can't remember if it attaches to the frame of the tank, but I think it's the frame. I know there was one on the right side (battery side), but can't remember if there was one on the left.

I can't find it on the parts breakdown, but it goes under the tank and I would run my accessory wiring behind it. I can't remember if it attaches to the frame of the tank, but I think it's the frame. I know there was one on the right side (battery side), but can't remember if there was one on the left.
I don't remember seeing it before but that may not mean anything. Obviously there to protect something. I'm traveling so I only have internet access via phone. Not enough resolution to examine parts fiche online.

part of the traveling windshield thingieamajiggie?
Don't think so. The windshield gasket is one piece and I believe is actually made from soft PVC material rather than rubber. This piece is definitely rubber. I may have to follow Hppants lead to start looking unless someone can give me an exact location and part. Don't have the tools or time to dig into it until I get home.

Ross, by the picture, the split end, with the slot cut into it looks torn. Is there another half of that somewhere?
Yes, I am pretty sure it tore off somewhere. One end seems to have a finished tab and the other end looks torn off. Similarly, one side of the channel seems smooth and the other is rough. Don't have the tools to open it up right now but even if I did, it would help to know what to look for. Hppants has provided the best hint so far, I think. Will have to wait until I get home unless someone recognizes exactly what it is. For all I know, it might not even be a part of this bike! That would be an exercise in frustration.

It looks like the end piece broken off of a car windshield wiper blade.
Thus, the last two sentences of my previous post. I don't think it is that but I could not possibly know for sure. I may need to open it up and go over everything inch by inch looking for a ripped edge.

Looks to me like the rubber piece that fits on/under the rack where its cross piece passes under the rear seat. There is one on either side isolating it from the tail bodywork. Brodie
Thanks Brodie. I will have a closer look at it when I get home in a couple days. Another 2300 km to my epic fly-and-ride!

Looks to me like the rubber piece that fits on/under the rack where its cross piece passes under the rear seat. There is one on either side isolating it from the tail bodywork.
Brodie
Not sure if I understand where you mean?? I took another couple of pictures that might be a bit clearer and with a quarter there for size reference...
I looked where you indicated and I don't think that's it. There are two rectangular pieces of rubber that go under the arms of the rear rack (at the cross brace) and these are intact. Hppants suggested something under the tank and I will have a closer look there next time I have it raised.

20180526_203121.jpg

20180526_203151.jpg

20180526_203140.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: