high output stator qurstion! gen 1 esg 130

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone!- Happy memorial day!

So, I just swapped out my stock stator with a esg 130 stator.. an since there's ZERO instructions with it, I'll ask here.-

All three wires are white, without any indications.

Does anyone know which SPECIFIC wire goes to which SPECIFiC rectifier plug wire?- or does it not matter..

After installing my new stator, and starting the bike,- the wires started getting VERY hot before shutting it down.

Why isnt there any wiring instructions?????

Any help is appreciated..

-Brian

Stator wires do get hot....on most bikes. The only concern are they getting hot enough to melt their insulation or the solder on their connections? A 150 degree wire is hot to the touch but not hot enough to do those things... You should just check them for awhile to make sure that's not happening.

Good luck with your Electrosport! Long-term satisfaction with them has been far from universal. I do not know whether they changed the design or manufacturing processes recently but quite a few people bought them a number of years ago to augment the electrical systems on their Gen I FJRs. Especially in the days before decent LED auxiliary lighting - halogens take a lot more power. The extra lighting plus heated gear for two put the charging system into a deficit condition. The Electrosport seemed to be a decent cost-effective solution but many discovered they were not good for the long haul. 25-30,000 miles and most were toast. (Wonder if they took electrical design lessons from Lucas)

In any case, it is possible that the reliability of the product has improved since then but you would be wise to keep an eye on it and be prepared in case of failure. Not sure if there is any warning but hot wires would not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about it!

(Do a forum search for Electrosport)

Stator wires do get hot....on most bikes. The only concern are they getting hot enough to melt their insulation or the solder on their connections? A 150 degree wire is hot to the touch but not hot enough to do those things... You should just check them for awhile to make sure that's not happening.
Thanks for your input!-

the wires are so hot, it'll burn your fingers.

i'm gearing up for a trip from Chicago to mexico.

It angers me to no end, when i try and do a simple upgrade, and It turns out to bite me in the ass later. I hope this doesnt end up to be the ol- ' leave well enough alone' story.

#aftermarketcirclejerk

#wasFineNowFire

For future reference, for anything that can be done to an FJR, chances are that someone has tried it and reported their results on this forum. A quick search before your investment in money or time might save you a lot of grief. If you don't see any reference here, you can be a hero for discovering something innovative and useful (or become an example of what not to do). Unless you are expecting to be running stuff that will take more juice than the stock stator can supply, I might suggest switching back assuming there is nothing actually wrong with the original one. As long as you are not running in an energy deficit mode, there is no advantage to using the higher power stator.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went through two electro sport stators in my 03. The extra juice was handy but after the second one left me stranded I went back to stock and learned to balance usage.

What they said above is 100% accurate. Much better to go back to stock and figure out how to reduce your electrical loads to stay within the design conditions of the stock unit.

Thanks for your input.

I Called Electrosport, and asked if the wires normally get hot, and he said 'no, It's probably your rectifier'.

yea, right, I doubt it,- there was nothing wrong with it before the swap.

Now I have a stock stator with cut wires,,,, wonderful..

I had an Electro shit stator in my 03. I might be an exception cause I had over 50k miles on it when I replaced it. But man, it looked bad. Felt a lot better about going back to the stock.

Thanks for your input.I Called Electrosport, and asked if the wires normally get hot, and he said 'no, It's probably your rectifier'.

yea, right, I doubt it,- there was nothing wrong with it before the swap.

Now I have a stock stator with cut wires,,,, wonderful..
Too bad the wires were cut. Not long enough to use? (I have no idea if there is any slack)

Stators come up on eBay at a lot less than the dealers or on-line vendors want for them. There are some used Gen I on there now as well as a bunch of new Electrosport. There is another one (RMstator) that I don't know anything about.

Good luck

Note: It is a good idea to check out the R/R in case the Electrosport let the magic smoke out of it!

I tried to locate the pictures some have posted of their year-old Electrosports, but can't find them. between PhotoBucket's greedy nonsense and forum upgrades over the years, some of that older stuff is damn hard to retrieve. Anyway, those stators weren't pretty.

But think about it. As i understand it, it's using the same magnet, just more wire, to get higher amperage out of the stator. Fitting more wire in there means winding thinner wire more times. So we're carrying higher current with lower-gauge wire. Why is that a Good Thing?

I tried to locate the pictures some have posted of their year-old Electrosports, but can't find them. between PhotoBucket's greedy nonsense and forum upgrades over the years, some of that older stuff is damn hard to retrieve. Anyway, those stators weren't pretty.
But think about it. As i understand it, it's using the same magnet, just more wire, to get higher amperage out of the stator. Fitting more wire in there means winding thinner wire more times. So we're carrying higher current with lower-gauge wire. Why is that a Good Thing?
This thread does it

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/111569-smoked-esg130-stator/?hl=electrosport&do=findComment&comment=507462

Photobucket stuff is showing, at least for now.

IMG_20081021_1047.jpg

I too went with an Electro Sport on my Gen 1. It was not because the stock unit failed but was an attempt to get more juice. The Electro Sport cooked itself in less than 30K. It was a waste of money imo. Reinstalled the original stock unit and it lasted forever after.