2005 fuel pump problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLUELITENIN

Reaction score
After purchasing my 2005 FJR last fall, I have put around 1,400 miles on it. Thursday I rode my FJR to work, then to lunch. Around 2pm we were asked to move our vehicles. I went out and hit the key and starter switch. The bike cranked and sputtered a few times but would not start. I pushed it out of the way. I tried several more times and it just wouldn't start. I put my ear on the tank and when the key is switched on there is just a klunk type sound but no fuel pump whine.I cycled the key several times, once in a while the pump would run but it sounded funny. When the pump ran it would start but only run for a few seconds or die as soon as the throttle was opened. I had to go back to work so I let the bike set. after a few hours I turned the key and there was the familiar high pitched whine from the pump for 2-3 seconds. The bike started fine and continued to run. I left it at work as I didn't want to get stranded and my wife was already on her way.

The next morning when I arrived at work it again fired right up. I parked it in the sun just like the day before. It started at lunch and after work again with no more issues. I rode it to the movies that night and then home after, the bike ran fine.

My question is has anyone had any similar issues? I see the factory pump is $500. I thought about trying a relay first before spending the money for the pump. I did find some aftermarket sources that make just the pump that can be installed in the factory sending unit assembly. Has anyone done any of these repairs? Thanks for any input.

It doesn't sound like a fuel pump problem to me. I would guess that you may have flooded it and next time that happens just open the throttle wide open and hit the starter and crank it for a little while to get the excess fuel out of the cylinders. The fuel pump does not run continuously on the '05. Just long enough to build up pressure in the F.I. system. Drive it for awhile and see if all isn't normal.

Good luck.

Guessing the no start was flooding - possibly caused by being parked in the sun. (Does the Gen I California version have a charcoal canister to absorb gas fumes and is there any chance this is a CA version? - an alternate answer may apply if the answer is yes to these questions) The fuel pump only runs when the fuel rail isn't pressurized. Personally, I would keep a close eye on it and if there are repeat performances, consider the next step. Fuel pump failures on FJRs are very uncommon. Double check the electrical connections that go to the bottom of the tank.

Edit: I was replying the same time as Viper Pilot! (Similar response)

Last edited by a moderator:
If the bike sat for awhile, the pressure would have dropped(normal).

When you initially turn the key on, (as you posted) you should have the pump whine as it pressurizes. If you hear a klunk, or any other unusual noise, the pump is likely toast.

The FZ6 uses a very similar pump and yes, folks have changed out the pump motor with a non Yamaha motor.

Here's a pic of the FZ pump with a VERY clogged up pump filter (which is NOT replaceable):

I did the wide open throttle and it made no difference. Since that day I have experimented and the pump runs for the 2-3 second prime every time the key is turned on. The day it would not start the pump was not running or was not running correctly. The fact it stalled when the throttle is opened means low fuel pressure. I just wanted to know if others have had this issue and was it the pump or relay. A high resistance in the circuit could cause it to run at low efficiency. I have seen other threads about a ground issue?Does anyone have any information as to where on the bike is this ground point is, so I might check it?

Guessing the no start was flooding - possibly caused by being parked in the sun. (Does the Gen I California version have a charcoal canister to absorb gas fumes and is there any chance this is a CA version? - an alternate answer may apply if the answer is yes to these questions) The fuel pump only runs when the fuel rail isn't pressurized. Personally, I would keep a close eye on it and if there are repeat performances, consider the next step. Fuel pump failures on FJRs are very uncommon. Double check the electrical connections that go to the bottom of the tank.
Edit: I was replying the same time as Viper Pilot! (Similar response)
After the bike started I raised the tank and wiggled the connections at the fuel pump assembly and couldn't get it to stumble or do anything abnormal.

I do appreciate all the responses it can be very helpful to pick all the available knowledge here.

This looks like it would work. https://www.highflowfuel.com/i-23900345-quantum-intank-efi-fuel-pump-yamaha-fjr1300a-2003-2018.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIo-qIu6eo2wIVxLXACh3McACfEAQYASABEgLV6PD_BwE

I talked to a yamaha dealer mechanic in Ohio while at my parents. He said they have seen many fuel system problems from the quality of the gas in the area. There was an independent shop mechanic there at the same time that said he does a huge amount of fuel system work for the same reason.

they both said the strainers plug up with green gunk.

"Bad" gas is almost always a function of failed storage tanks at individual stations rather than a poor product from the manufacturer. "Green gunk" sounds like oxidized copper or brass although nickel or "reduced" iron can also be greenish. I suppose it could be some sort of organic goo although I have no idea where it would come from. In any case, it is very likely a function of water in the fuel in the station's holding tanks (or at the local distribution depot).

No excuse for that kind of shit. If you can pin it down to one supplier, I would go after them - for a new OEM pump plus labor!! If it turns out to be a gummed up fuel pump related to bad fuel, make sure you carefully check the inside of your tank for corrosion.

Good find on the replacement pump. If you need it, I hope it works for you (but I hope it turns out that you don't need it).

Last edited by a moderator:
"The fuel pump only runs when the fuel rail isn't pressurized."

False.

There is no fuel pressure sensor in the control loop of the fuel pump. At "key on" the pump runs for approximately three seconds and then stops. It restarts when you crank and start the engine.

The pump is powered from the same relay as the fuel injectors. If the injectors are powered the pump is running.

It would be nice if there was a switch to cut the power to the injectors when the engine was flooded with fuel. You could crank the engine with no fuel being injected.

I wonder if there is a difference in the way the Gen I and Gen II operate? Seems to me that the Gen I has a return loop and Gen II doesn't??? Doesn't really matter - I always assumed that the pump only ran as needed which is why it only ran the few seconds upon turning the key...

Learned something new today.

Gen 1 and 2 are the same except for where the fuel pressure regulator is located. On the Gen 1 the regulator is mounted at the end of the fuel rail with a return hose to the tank. On the Gen 2 the regulator is in the tank at the pump so no return hose is needed.

Electrically they are the same except for the addition of the oxygen sensor heater on the Gen 2. The heater is powered from the fuel system relay along with the pump and injectors.

The Gen 1 oxygen sensor doesn't include a heater. An improvement on the Gen 2.

If its a California bike my son run into this on a 2006. He took both overflow lines on the tank to the rear wheel outlet. 1 went to a block epa mandated I assume eliminated that block this fixed problem. Sorry no pics figured out by looking at my non California 2007