Congressional Gold Medal of Honor

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knifemaker

Not me
Reaction score
A shout out to my uncle Bobby. Last living of 7 siblings including my mother. He was a member of the OSS during WWII and fought in several battles, including Germany. Today he received the Congressional Gold Medal of Honor. Unable to attend the ceremony in Washington DC several months back, they had one here in the Veterans Home he is now living at. (He is confined to a wheelchair and blind)

Local news covered the event. He recently celebrated his 97th birthday.(which I attended)

Very cool.

IMG_3353.jpg

The event in DC he couldn't attend:

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you for the sharing.

we can never repay nor forget the sacrifices so many have offered which allow us to enjoy all we have individually and as a nation.

please thank your uncle bobby from me.

thumbs up.

rob

Thank you, Uncle Bobby, for your service. You have beaten the odds more than once old boy.

I think about men of your generation and can only strive to be a worthy recipient of the fruits of their bravery and sacrifice.

Modern society should be so selfless.

These men and women are the reason I ride Tour of Honor every year.

Thank you for your service

Thanks for the story and for those men like your uncle who were in the OSS in those dark times, they were truly special people. Godbless him and all of those who have served!

thank you for the sharing.
we can never repay nor forget the sacrifices so many have offered which allow us to enjoy all we have individually and as a nation.

please thank your uncle bobby from me.

thumbs up.

rob
Echoing this... and please give him a hug from me the next time you see him...
flirt.gif

My gratitude to your Uncle Bobby for his service. He is among only a hand full of WWII living veterans. I lost a very good friend last year at age 92.. He served in the Navy in the Pacific during WWII. His ship was sunk and he survived. Thanks for sharing the thoughts.

One million likes to your post! God bless your uncle! The last of the greatest generation! Awesome!

One of my dad's uncles was a tent mate of Joe Rosenthal (Iwo Jima flag raising photographer) for a while. His uncle had a scrap book of many of Joe's pictures but my dad never knew what happened to it. Alas, to have that today!

Thank you for sharing this Knifemaker. it reminds us that regardless of anything else, there are some things we should hold in the highest of regard, respect, and unconditional gratitude.

Uncle Bobby is one of those things.

Wow, great to see this. I hope your uncle is able to document his stories, or someone may do so on his behalf. My grandpa, who was a tank bow gunner and some times tank driver in Germany, died on this day three years ago, D Day. In my younger years, he said he didn't see a lot and that he was clean up. As I got older and he would tell a story or two at times, I realized he went through a lot more than he admitted. From booby trapped landmines that killed buddies to firefights that lit up the sky to even trying to ship German guns home to Grandma (confiscated at some point of course). These were remarkable men and let there be no doubt that remarkable military souls continue the legacy. Hope to hear more about your uncle and his service.