Thinking Outside the Box--A New Kind of Light

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
I've got a lot of lights on the bike--good ones, front and back. Plus all kinds of reflectors that either came stock or were added, like the big Real Time Industries set on the side cases. Yellow helmet, either a yellow jacket or lots of reflective material on the other ones.

Do I need MORE visibility? HELL YES! Why not? Whatever I can do, as far as I'm concerned. I'd run red and blue lights and siren full time if I could.

But what else could I do? Youve seem how the tail light of a bicycle can stand out from a mile away in the dark. Hmmm. Then today I came across a review of an inexpensive helmet that included a built-in light--

. You can see the light feature at about 5:47 into the vid. But I don't need to replace my helmet; I like the one I have now just fine.
But when you're on the bike with a big Givi trunk behind you, traffic behind you can't see much of your bright yellow jacket, right? But the helmet light is nice and high--over the tail case or any big duffel bag you might be carrying. Like that third taillight they started putting on most cars a few years ago. Suppose you had a high taillight like that on the bike? There's no legal reason not to have another rear-facing red light is there? Rear-facing white lights are illegal and so are forward-facing red lights, but red lights facing backward--we all have that anyway. A couple AA batteries keeps one of those things blinking for a long time, and it's only for the dark hours. Carry a pillion? Let her wear it.

Cost? Hey, I've already got a couple out in the garage. So why not give this a try? Thoughts?

I love these topics. Lights are a nice to have and I do have some flame throwers but I tend to rely on my instincts most of all.

Nuff said,

Dave

I ride a bicycle on county roads around here and have a nifty liight on the back,very visable in bright daylight. Cost was next to nothing, weighs next to nothing. I suppose you could mount one to a helmet and put it on slow blink.

Why not LED-up your top box & side cases? ... a la cruiser set that you've seen with lights out the back up the ying-yang

Agree with visibility/conspicuity, but when I think of helmet mounted lighting, I keep envisioning a Tele-tubby.

Halo bands have been around for awhile. About fourteen bucks. Think I have one in a closet somewhere.

F33808265.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I decided to just clip one of my bike lights over the collar of my jacket with the clip it came with--it fits every jacket I have. Easy to take off and on and put in a pocket--I won't bother with it on bright days, but it'll be right there if I want to put it on. Like timk said, cost is nothing, especially since I already had it, but if it falls off, not a big loss.

I won't be putting it on my helmet after all, since it's so easy to clip to the top center of the collar and it's good and secure. There was no obvious way to mount it higher anyway. And I agree about the looks thing too. I always thought the top-of-helmet mount for a GoPro camera looked pretty hokey (although I never thought of the Teletubbies--I'm too old), but it's also easy to whack on something.

I'd use a Halo Band, Mike, but they don't work on modular helmets. I'll try this out today, especially since I'll be out late when it gets dark. I'm mostly curious about whether it's going to rub on my neck or anything.

My real concern was if there were any kind of legal issues that might attract unwanted attention. Any of you LEOs, (esp. Cali ones) have a thought? I don't think this is a hot enforcement priority. I'm pretty sure the maximum number of forward-facing lights you can legally have on a motorcycle is four, and dual headlights like the FJR's count as one. I have a total of five with my Clearwaters. Never been an issue for me. Hard to imagine a cop really wanting to make an issue of that. I'm thinking the same for my bicycle back light.

I cut a reflective Yamaha stripe for my bike and one for my helmet. Both the black and the white are reflective.

Super easy to make and not expensive... I guess I had around $20 or so in materials.

20180101_154055.jpg

20180101_154135.jpg

I actually did that on an old helmet, KM. It was a little clunky but it helped some (um, don't feel bad, Mike. That was the day I realized a Halo Band needs a solid helmet.) On my current Neotec I ordered a length of SOLAS tape and stuck pieces of it on the back of my helmet and the fender under the license plate. (Paranoid? ME???!!!)

Ghetto and Proud of it!

Somebody out there makes a wheel kit Tape and a small little light that makes it glow. Not a reflective tape. Wheels glow at night from the side. Won't help from front or rear though.