Does Canada require special proof of insurance cards?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. I called my insurance company this morning and they are sending me the required shit.

You're welcome.

More on this. My insurance company, Progressive, is sending me the required stuff. A friend's insurance company, Geico, said U.S. Proof of Insurance works in Canada. Go figure. YMMV.

More on this. My insurance company, Progressive, is sending me the required stuff. A friend's insurance company, Geico, said U.S. Proof of Insurance works in Canada. Go figure. YMMV.
You will probably only need the Canada proof of insurance if you are involved in an accident, I have never been asked for it in 30 years of Canada travel.

Canada does have much higher minimum liability limits than are required in most US states, I think that by having your insurance company issue a Canada proof of insurance they are also guaranteeing your liability limits meet Canada’s requirements.

The card is free and like lots of insurance-related things I pay for, having it guarantees I won't need it (the best reason to buy life insurance). Just give your agent a call.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just talked to my State Farm agent and he said my current card is just fine in Canada.
smile.png

Ive crossed in and out of Canada over 50 times in the past ten years, and that is a very conservative estimate. Never been asked about insurance, drivers license or any other documentation other than my passport. Ive carried bear spray every crossing and declared it every time; they could not care less about it, but they do always ask if I have a firearm or an apple. But the real issue is not what happens at the border. The real issue is what will be needed at the scene of an accident, and that I do not know.

Last edited by a moderator:
You will probably only need the Canada proof of insurance if you are involved in an accident, I have never been asked for it in 30 years of Canada travel.
Canada does have much higher minimum liability limits than are required in most US states, I think that by having your insurance company issue a Canada proof of insurance they are also guaranteeing your liability limits meet Canadas requirements.
This is correct info. You wont need it to cross the border, or anywhere else, unless an accident is in your immediate past and a chat with a LEO is in your immediate future.
-Steve

I get one from my agent every time I cross the border, which averages once a year, sometimes twice in some years, sometimes nonce in other years.

Never took it out of my wallet till I got home. Ever. But I never had an accident up there.

Get one and you won't need it, pass on it And you likely will. American Family issues them at no charge when I ask for one.

When I buy insurance I am always asked if I plan to travel in the U.S...”because you will need more insurance coverage..americans love to sue for very high amounts of money”

Ya dont suppose its all just a scam by insurance companies?

Just talked to my State Farm agent and he said my current card is just fine in Canada.
smile.png
Same here. Whenever I ask my SF agent for a Canada card he looks at me like I'm crazy...

~G
Mrs. Bug called today and same here with Foremost. Nothing special needed for the Great White North.

If anyone is still stressing on this topic I spoke to my RCMP pal and he confirmed that whatever evidence of insurance document is accepted in your state or province of residence is just fine for any province or territory of Canada. Nothing special for Canada required.

If anyone is still stressing on this topic I spoke to my RCMP pal and he confirmed that whatever evidence of insurance document is accepted in your state or province of residence is just fine for any province or territory of Canada. Nothing special for Canada required.
punk.gif

~G

Latest posts