Rear Tire Feathering

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forbigd

Reaction score
Hi All, This is my first post after making my greeting post.

I have an issue that scare me a little.

I have had my 2016 FJR ES since October, and in the first 4000 miles all was fine. All miles done on twisty roads, almost NO freeway

Now here in the last 1000 or so, I have noticed feathering on my rear tire.

Here is what it looks like (not my photo, but a good example)

https://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d32/Kramer_Krazy/bridgestone_BT020.jpg

It has only appeared in the last several hundred miles. The only change I made was taking a couple of passengers out.

I normally had left the ES settings as Rider and bags (no bags, but I am pretty heavy (260). And Standard -1.

It seemed like a good setting but I hadn't really played with it. When I added a passenger (three different ones) I set it for two up with bags, and Standard -3 for the passenger comfort.

When I was done with the passengers, I played with the ES settings, and set it at One with bags, and Standard +1. That is all I have done. Pressure right on at 42 lbs.

The feathering is pretty bad and I can feel a slight squirm on some corners I would have to attribute to the feathering.

I have it back at One and bags, Standard -1. But of course the feathering is still there, it will need to be worn off.

Anyone have any sage advice? Anyone else get feathering? A search here for feathering only gets "feathering the brakes" type posts.

Thanks all!

Don

Looks well used and perhaps low on air. It's due for replacement and keep the pressure at 42psi .

Normal.That's what they look like when you run them hard. She's a heavy beast and when you run her hard, she will take it out on her shoes,

Using the throttle aggressively coming out of corners will do this. Perfectly normal if you ride the beast as she is meant to be ridden.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all,

Very interesting comments. The picture isn't mine, the feathering looks just like that, but not all the wear on the middle.

I just clicked over 6k this morning. I am riding a bit faster as I get more and more comfortable. But aggressive? Maybe a bit more throttle on exits, but that is when you are supposed to use it, right?

Actually since seeing the feathering, I have stepped it up a bit tying to wear them off. I never get over like 5k rpms during riding, and never any full throttle. The guys that use all the throttle and 10k + must buy tires every weekend :)

Last week I came across 30 bikers sitting at an intersection. As I went off into the twisties, I saw them start to pull out.Within seconds about 10 of them had passed me like I was standing still. Then a few moments later 10 more, and then finally 10 more. The last guy in the last set I could just hold onto, but it was faster than I want to go.

I wonder how some of these big cruisers go so fast into the corners. I am not going that fast, but have scraped the left boot and right side center stand, I can't lean much more than that.

How can some crazy long haired guy riding a POS honda 650 can out corner me? Taint fair.

So the consensus is that I hit the gas too hard and I need to make sure it is at 42. (not a lb more?)

Thanks

Don

So the consensus is that I hit the gas too hard and I need to make sure it is at 42. (not a lb more?)
Thanks

Don
Maybe smoother throttle control, not necessarily less throttle? Pressure no less than 42 cold. Most peops suggest 43 or 44.

Considering your weight I would suggest 44lpsi in the rear tire. I weigh 145lbs and run 42psi. I have a 2014 ES and ride one up only. When not on a road trip I have my suspension setting at one up without bags and standard. If on a slab I may change it to soft. On road trips with bags and rack bag I set at one up with bags standard. When in the twisties I set on hard.

Perhaps you should experiment with tightening up the suspension.

Thanks all,Very interesting comments. The picture isn't mine, the feathering looks just like that, but not all the wear on the middle.

I just clicked over 6k this morning. I am riding a bit faster as I get more and more comfortable. But aggressive? Maybe a bit more throttle on exits, but that is when you are supposed to use it, right?

Actually since seeing the feathering, I have stepped it up a bit tying to wear them off. I never get over like 5k rpms during riding, and never any full throttle. The guys that use all the throttle and 10k + must buy tires every weekend
smile.png

Last week I came across 30 bikers sitting at an intersection. As I went off into the twisties, I saw them start to pull out.Within seconds about 10 of them had passed me like I was standing still. Then a few moments later 10 more, and then finally 10 more. The last guy in the last set I could just hold onto, but it was faster than I want to go.

I wonder how some of these big cruisers go so fast into the corners. I am not going that fast, but have scraped the left boot and right side center stand, I can't lean much more than that.

How can some crazy long haired guy riding a POS honda 650 can out corner me? Taint fair.

Thanks

Don
As far as ground clearance, make sure your body is positioned correctly. I went on a group ride (not my normal buddies) about 10 years ago, and was frightened to death by the guy in front of me. He was going through corners with his body leaned to the outside of the corner, pushing the bike down, motocross-style. He was going really slow through the corners, but had zero ground clearance. I thought for sure he was going to pitch it. I'm sure he thought he was really hauling ass, but he wasn't. Concentrate on putting your head and inside shoulder down toward the inside mirror of the bike. Even without sliding your butt to the inside, just moving your head in that direction can make a big difference.

Tire cupping/feathering? What everyone else said. She's a big girl, and will go through tires. Ride it, and enjoy it.

Heh, heh, heh .... notices feathering from some spirited riding and steps it up a bit to wear them off.

Dude, you coming to SFO? I want to ride with you. :)

Hello Uncle Hud,

All my searches here for Feathering brought no help, and surfing google at large kept bringing me to "your rebound is set too soft, that is why you have the cupping". But it isn't cupping, it is feathering, but since I didn't know it was from spirited riding, I set the suspension they way it had been for 4000 miles and waited to see if the feathers wore off. Now I know that is it the spirited riding that is causing it in the first place. Searching for feathering, always brought me to cupping. I know how long time members of a forum hate newbies coming in and asking the same questions over and over. I really did try the search function. But still this thread got canned into what I can best tell to be the trash. I did get a few nice answers before it got called pointless. I have other questions, but fear the same response if I try to ask. Why take the time to compose a nice note asking for help if my note is going to be called "pointless". I know you don't really want to send newbies away, but I feel like I am on shaky ground here, and will not post anything new. What good is that? I would like to continue the discussion here on my issue, but being the thread was moved to "pointless" status, no one will read it.

In fact, I don't know why I am even trying here, I am sure other nubes have complained too. And no one is going to read my note anyway.

Swollen Raccoon's comments were very very helpful, and I see where I can improve my riding, thanks SR!!!

Uncle....

You ask if I am coming to SFO.. San Francisco Airport? No hits for SFO in the search so you must be talking about the airport. You are far from there. Why do you want to ride with me? Seems I don't know what I am doing with my FJR, and getting help will be tough. Maybe you should stay away from me.. :( I think you are trying to make fun of me, but it went over my "pointless" FNG head.)

Best I can tell no one will come here and read what I have to say anyway. (off-topic forum)

All:

I wish some nice forum member could have helped me with my posting, telling me folks heave heard it all, and don't ask any questions.

Now I feel I have worn out my welcome already. I was looking forward to some nice discussion and help from other members. But I guess if it has been asked before, I can't ask again, even if the search box in the forum gave me no hits on my subject. I really tried to find help myself before I asked. I am sure my other questions have been probably asked before, so I won't try myself. I will just lurk. The forum even put FNG over my name. Pretty insulting. I have ridden for 40 years. My post was moved, but no one told me why. I guess that is what I get being a FNG. You guys really don't want new members, do you...?

Don (off-topic "pointless" newbie)

Don, please hang around for a while longer. Go ride that beautiful FJR you have, and let the big girl rip. I promise that you'll feel better after the ride. And the others will help you learn what SFO is. And they will be correct in advising you to go. Trust us all on this one. Have a tremendous day, Don!

forbigd posted:
Hello Uncle Hud,

<snipped quite a lot>

You ask if I am coming to SFO.. San Francisco Airport? No hits for SFO in the search so you must be talking about the airport. You are far from there. Why do you want to ride with me? Seems I don't know what I am doing with my FJR, and getting help will be tough. Maybe you should stay away from me..
sad.png
I think you are trying to make fun of me, but it went over my "pointless" FNG head.)

Best I can tell no one will come here and read what I have to say anyway. (off-topic forum)

All:

I wish some nice forum member could have helped me with my posting, telling me folks heave heard it all, and don't ask any questions.

Now I feel I have worn out my welcome already. I was looking forward to some nice discussion and help from other members. But I guess if it has been asked before, I can't ask again, even if the search box in the forum gave me no hits on my subject. I really tried to find help myself before I asked. I am sure my other questions have been probably asked before, so I won't try myself. I will just lurk. The forum even put FNG over my name. Pretty insulting. I have ridden for 40 years. My post was moved, but no one told me why. I guess that is what I get being a FNG. You guys really don't want new members, do you...?

Don (off-topic "pointless" newbie)
First off, my post was intended to be complimentary. You're a guy who feathers tires, and you wind it up a little higher to burn them off?!?!? Hell yeah, I want to ride with you!

Second: SFO is the Southern FJR Owners meeting -- but "meeting" is used in a semi-sarcastic manner. Same with the Eastern Owners Meeting and other shindigs mentioned around here -- the word "meeting" is used because we "meet" somewhere. There is no real activity other than attempting to feather our tires and lie vociferously about how spiritedly we ride. Sometimes there is a banquet and t-shirt, but it's all about (finally!) shaking hands with someone you met on the internet, seeing friends you haven't seen since last SFO (where you met them for the first time), riding around all day, and trying to convince others you saw stuff on your ride that is way cooler than they saw on theirs.

Third, you are now speaking with -- perhaps -- the only Forum member who intentionally started a NEPRT thread. See how many threads are in that category? NEPRT-ness is determined by admins, not by the thousands of Forum members who read, post, joke, blaspheme, and critique the entries therein. Five bucks says there's a new NEPRT thread started before Friday. (Today's Wednesday errr, Tuesday; that bet's easy money for me, brother.) If you want consolation, look at who has started NEPRT threads and who has contributed, joked, blasphemed and critiqued in there. It's a Who's Who of current and former Forum members.

Fourth, three-letter searches are automatic fails. Got to have four letters or the search engine spits you out like hydrocarbons from my FJR. No problems, you're an FNG. By the way, that's a standard title for everyone who joins; not really a slander against your character. And -- truth -- you are new, and the G can stand for Guy or Girl.

Fifth, I hope you DO stick around, because (and this is intended to be complimentary, too) you have the same wide-eyed curiosity I had four years and 63,000 miles ago when I brought home my new FJR. HOOOOWHEEEE, baby! Did I feather those Bridgestone BT023s!

Lastly, we hold a firm grip on sarcasm and cynicism here. I think its part of the website's DNA, and I enjoy the banter. Of course, some people don't. If you decide to lurk, you'll see what I mean ... we will rail on other members, but they're our friends! We'll see them at a meeting and share a story and a beer; or we'll ride 300 miles round trip for lunch; or we'll team up with three relative strangers from this place to ride across the country in fewer than 48 hours.

And lastly lastly, I number shit because I'm an engineer and like things in bullet lists. Not trying to be demeaning.

Hope to see you around, and dude, I would love to ride with you at SFO or EOM. I am currently scheduled to be out your way for YFO 2019 ...... maybe then?

Hey forbigd! Looks like you took offense to things which were not intended to be offensive in any way. Welcome aboard! All tire and oil threads pretty much all go to NEPRT. Everyone reads them because that's where all the cool postings end up. :) You don't need a thick skin to contribute to this forum. Assume that all posts made in your direction are not derogatory because they are not. Again welcome aboard! Lots of good people and informative posts here. You'll catch on, especially after meeting up with these folks in person. Look for rides posted in your area, attend one, and you'll see what I mean.

Well well... look who feels foolish now. :)

I guess I did take offense at the title FNG, to me, in my former working life, the F stood for a swear word. It seems unneeded to use that name.

Call me "Training Wheels" or whatever, but I take offense to the F part. It is like the admins have an attitude. Why not be friendly?

Yeah I am being too sensitive.... i'll stop, but I wanted to comment.

I have so much I want to discuss, but don't know how to do it, and I guess having my post moved to "Pointless" makes me think twice about trying.

The FJR has been around a while, I am sure a lot of the folks here have been here a long time too, so I am sure every question I have has been addressed somewhere here already.

I did have questions about the YES warranty, but I found answers here without having to ask.

I get numbness in the hands after x minutes, and have spent hundreds, and lots of hours trying to fix it. I don't see any hits for my problem, but I am sure someone must have commented about the vibration.

Do I just post my question? and see if I get some answers? or moved to "pointless"?

Swollen Raccoon, with a few lines, has changed my riding a great deal. I came in asking about feathering, and learned that it is MY fault, and I am riding incorrectly.

I could not fathom why me on my awesome FJR couldn't keep up with the majority of the riders I encounter. Then Swollens comment, and I realize I was doing it wrong too. I don't ride with anyone (yet!! :) ) who can point out mistakes. I thought I was doing real well boogieing through corners and having fun. Now I can see that it must be me doing the feathering wear, and the last two days out, I have been switching my style, and I can see the difference, I will be faster, smoother, and use up less tire.

I feel like a FNG :) But I have ridden for 40 years. (last 10 forced hiatus). I don't know where this style of mine came from other than what has already been said, She is a big girl and needs a firm hand. I have been forcing her to work poorly.

I want to continue to get better, and obviously there is good info here. I just need to ask for it in a way that doesn't get my post labeled "pointless" (yes that bothers me too, there are NO pointless posts, just uninformed folks. (for the most part..)

I will start with a post about vibration, carpal tunnel, and numbness. Will it get moved? Should I just post in the pointless area to save time :) ? I do see at least 1 post that speaks about my issue, but ist is short, doesn't cover my questions, and is 6 months old. I will post it in the wide open and see what happens. Knowing me it will be long and hopefully at least somewhat entertaining.

Thanks everyone!

Don

Attaboy Don! Just post your questions and don't worry where they end up in the forum. The admins move posts to wherever they feel is appropriate, but it's not like others won't read it or respond. If you take everything so personal, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. Enjoy the forum.

Don, This, like many forums, requires you to have a bit of thick skin. It's just how it is. Post your questions, learn from the brain trust and contribute when you can. It's kinda like hanging out with the boys at the local pub. Lot's of ball busting, ribbing and sarcasm. I too was a bit miffed when one of my first posts was moved to the isle of NEPR and I was also titled FNG. Anyone who has ever served in the military knows exactly what that means.

...get my post labeled "pointless" ...Don
No need to assume your thread has been cast as "pointless".

It's in the "Never-ending, Pointless or Recurring" area, so it could have been moved here for any one of those descriptions.

If your question has been asked many times before, then it is "Recurring", the very fact that it recurs means that it is probably not "Pointless".

If it's a thread that looks like it might never stop (e.g. "What did you do to your FJR today?"), it will be moved here.

By no means "Pointless".

While not finding any hits on vibration that I was looking for, I tried "numbness".

Lots on that. I will have to absorb all that before I ask.

Some folks leaving the FJR over it. Oh My. I have it bad, but I will work around it, hopefully.

Thanks