Oh Canada EH! 2018

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler

Miss Demeanor
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
June 9, 2018

S’funny how circumstances create a happenstance meeting between two people… I had gone back and forth about whether to stop for gas or keep going outside of Sacramento… decided to stop early… a gent pulled up on his bike… he had run out of gas and had some kind soul stopped to help him out so he arrived a couple of minutes after I arrived.. perfect timing… he said hi and asked where I was headed… I said Canada… his mouth dropped open… he is an Army vet who served in Afghanistan and had been shot in the chest and not expected to live but he did… dealt with some difficult times with PTSD but came through it okay… he is at a crossroads in his life so we talked a bit about life, travel, choices, etc., exchanged contact info, and new friends were made… gotta love it!

Today was pretty much a freeway day to get out of Dodge… left early and blasted up 80… winds in Nevada were brutal and Sybil seemed to be a magnet for tumbleweeds… knocked out 425 miles and made it to beautiful Winnemucca… staying at a local favorite, Townhouse Motel, and dinner at The Pig which was delicious especially given I hadn’t really eaten much all day. Tomorrow will be meeting beloved nurse/friend, Jana, and then heading for New Meadows to meet up with my traveling partner in crime, Lydia, to continue north through Glacier NP and into Canada… w00t w00t!!
biggrin.png

Donner Lake

34817641_10156148683120325_8538236070658048000_o.jpg

Killed some tumbleweeds…

34962963_10156148683570325_2907380155708080128_o.jpg

Good grub!

34962481_10156148683835325_8793408238151270400_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
June 10, 2018

Brisk morning leaving Winnemucca this morning but otherwise a beautiful day full of sunshine, cool clouds, and little traffic while Sybil rolled over 60K when I wasn’t paying attention… and a best part of the day was sharing a lunch with my beloved friend, Jana, who was one of my nurses in Boise after my accident and one of the reasons I’m still here… a bond that has been forged that will never be broken… and then meeting up with my partner in moto crime, Lydia (who dealt with snow today to get to New Meadows), for some fun filled days ahead… :D

Me and Jana

Moody skies…

A river runs through it…
35062797_10156151092745325_4835038890643423232_o.jpg

Modern art… sky reflection in a puddle…

Lydia and I up to no good… :D

35162147_10156151092395325_2395942446602125312_o.jpg

And so it starts. Keep coming girl and be safe out there.
Mine did not get started, had a brain fart and the powers that be took me in for carotid artery surgery, seems to have gone ok so far vascular guy (who also rides) sees me in two weeks to see if I can drive yet. Gets really hard to plan to socialize at my age. Crappy part is they plan on doing the other one in 3 mos.

And so it starts. Keep coming girl and be safe out there.
Mine did not get started, had a brain fart and the powers that be took me in for carotid artery surgery, seems to have gone ok so far vascular guy (who also rides) sees me in two weeks to see if I can drive yet. Gets really hard to plan to socialize at my age. Crappy part is they plan on doing the other one in 3 mos.
Dang, James, sorry to hear that but sending healing thoughts and energy your way and hoping you're back up and running right quick! B)

Lots of green and blue here Don - and a foot of fresh white on Silver Star Mountain since Saturday!

Next week we will be in the 90's in this valley - a little cooler in the Kootenays but looks like epic weather so far - keep your fingers crossed!

Monday, June 11, 2018

A soggy start to the day and quite cold… we bundled up in many layers like the little brother in A Christmas Story and headed out… pretty much stuck to 95N except for a side jaunt along White Bird Rd and Old White Bird Rd before having a wonderful breakfast in Grangeville… we continued on and saw a really ugly storm front in our path but luckily the road went a different direction and we managed to skirt the onslaught…

The middle part of the day was cool temps but clear skies with cotton clouds mixed with blue skies… until we got Cour d’Alene and saw a storm in front of us that did not look good… but again the road continued to skirt it and all of a sudden there was a tunnel of blue skies that we headed right into on our way into Bonners Ferry… thank you, weather gods!

Staying at the BF Log Inn which i realized I had stayed previously for a gathering a while back with riding friends… no restaurants nearby and we were done riding for the day so it was pizza delivery and a relaxed dinner outside our room as we listened to the rain and distant thunder… another good day and tomorrow will start the really good stuff with Glacier NP!

Morning view in New Meadows…

Somewhere along the Salmon River… photo credit to Lydia

Somewhere along the Salmon River… photo credit to Lydia

35151470_10156153465590325_1950416125959340032_o.jpg

Cowboy round up on White Bird Rd… photo credit to Lydia

In the clouds on White Bird Rd…

Big skies along 95… photo credit to Lydia

35242239_10156153465855325_3027488688507453440_o.jpg

Where we came from… big fluffy clouds mixed with blue skies…

W!here we were headed… dark grey skies with falling rain… yikes!!

Pizza delivery and dinner outside our room… heaven!

Bonners Ferry evening view…

Luvin' it! Please say hello to Lydia for us!
She says hi back!! :D

Nice, a soggy day on the bike is better than a good day at work.
Amen to that, m'friend! B)

Bonners Ferry no kidding!! My Grandmother lived there and spent several Christmases and Summers there. Great report and Safe travels!!
It's a beautiful area... must have been a great place to spend time! ;)

Tuesday, June 12, 2018

What a fabulous day… this is what we rode balls to the walls to experience… another cold morning leaving Bonners Ferry but then the sun broke through and it was blue skies all day… we rode mostly 2 to Glacier NP… Going to the Sun Road still wasn’t open all the way so we just went in the west side as far as we could (about 16 miles including lots of delays due to road work) before turning back and heading east on 2 to skirt around and then up to Many Glacier where we stayed at the Swiftcurrent Hotel… the first 10 miles or so of the road were totally fubar’d and I thought I might lose my bike in one or two of the pothole sections but slow and steady won the race and we made it without incident… nice dinner at the hotel restaurant, hung out in the lobby for a little bit to catch some internet, then hit the sack and slept hard… tomorrow will be heading into Canada!! :D

P.S. Any photo you see with me and the bike it is courtesy of Lydia!

Along Hwy 2…

On the way into Glacier…

Nice capture…

Lake McDonald…

Lydia’s sad face…

Weird clouds before Many Glacier…

Views on the way in to Many Glacier…

Wednesday, June 13, 2018

A somewhat lazy morning with an hour extra sleep, breakfast at the hotel restaurant and then making our way back out past all the potholes… then up 6 and across the border without incident and quite quickly… a lovely day with cool cloud formations, rolling green hills, and arriving at our AirBnB at the Solara Hotel… our suite is AWESOME (we thought we were in the wrong place)!! Tomorrow will be a chill day… sleeping in, getting a massage, then a taxi into Banff to see a concert with Serena Ryder… life is good! :D

Potholes galore coming out of Many Glacier… this section of the road is maintained (or not) by the reservation… Lydia could skirt them a lot easier than I could… slow and steady won the race…

Crossing the border at Chief Mountain Border Station… easy peasy… only asked for passport

US flag at the border… hmmmmm…

Luckily the road turned away from this cloud formation!

Coming into Canmore…

Our 2-bedroom suite at the resort… love this place!

Relaxing with a glass of vino at the Solara Resort & Spa…