Engine Didn't Grenade/Something Happened/And Final Report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Intech

Mr. Camping Meet
Reaction score
Got a call from my brother David last night. The engine on the 07 gave up the ghost at 104k. Way too young. Engine seized. Metal visible in the oil. No indication of impending failure. He is looking for an engine. I have a line on another 07 with 74K, but he is looking at engines first. Any lines on available engines is appreciated. Several on EBay, but would prefer one that someone knows about.

We will be waiting to hear what happened. Not very many occurrences of this that cannot be attributed to neglect in one form or another. Even then, the engine's demise is typically more gradual with diminishing performance due to compression loss or something similar. The only catastrophic failures I recall were CCT related. ...although it seems to me that Patriot had a failure that was attributed to a "ROD BEARING" https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/151853-what-happened-to-isabellas-engine/?hl=%2B%2

Good luck on the quest for a replacement motor!!

Bob, I assume your brother did not crash during this event and is OK. Right? I will be watching to learn what caused the destruction.

We will be waiting to hear what happened. Not very many occurrences of this that cannot be attributed to neglect in one form or another. Even then, the engine's demise is typically more gradual with diminishing performance due to compression loss or something similar. The only catastrophic failures I recall were CCT related. ...although it seems to me that Patriot had a failure that was attributed to a "ROD BEARING" https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/151853-what-happened-to-isabellas-engine/?hl=+%2
There was evidence that the water pump seal was leaking on Patriot's Gen1. He recalled that it had run very hot to overheating on several occasions. It is also worth noting that his motor did not seize or grenade, it was just making a lot of noise. But yes, the rod bearings were worn and loose.

Having an FJR motor seize up is very rare as others have already posted. Personally, I would be looking at finding another used FJR. The money and time spent would make that the more attractive option.

Last edited by a moderator:
We will be waiting to hear what happened. Not very many occurrences of this that cannot be attributed to neglect in one form or another. Even then, the engine's demise is typically more gradual with diminishing performance due to compression loss or something similar. The only catastrophic failures I recall were CCT related. ...although it seems to me that Patriot had a failure that was attributed to a "ROD BEARING" https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/151853-what-happened-to-isabellas-engine/?hl=+%2

There was evidence that the water pump seal was leaking on Patriot's Gen1. He recalled that it had run very hot to overheating on several occasions. It is also worth noting that his motor did not seize or grenade, it was just making a lot of noise. But yes, the rod bearings were worn and loose.

Having an FJR motor seize up is very rare as others have already posted. Personally, I would be looking at finding another used FJR. The money and time spent would make that the more attractive option.
I'm not confident that Isabella was always treated to the best of mechanical care. Seemed to have had a lot of (apparently) unrelated issues. Perhaps just the (bad) luck of the draw?

If I recall, he had climbed a curb and bent (creased) at least 2 header pipes, causing the engine to run much hotter than normal. This went on for quite some time.

p.s. when he bought that bike from me, it was running like a top, as good as new, and still had a few months of YES warranty left. I only sold it to upgrade to a Gen II 2008.

The bike was meticulously maintained. I am very curious as to the cause. David didn't go down, thankfully. As previously stated, there were no abnormal signs of the impending doom. We will find out the cause.

Ray, I may be in touch if it is possible to rebuild.

If I recall, he had climbed a curb and bent (creased) at least 2 header pipes, causing the engine to run much hotter than normal. This went on for quite some time.p.s. when he bought that bike from me, it was running like a top, as good as new, and still had a few months of YES warranty left. I only sold it to upgrade to a Gen II 2008.
I had forgotten about the crunched header pipes. It is true that when Patriot got that bike it was in excellent shape. He did not take care of it and did not look after it, he just rode it and did what he knew how to do.

Which actually makes Intech's situation all the more confusing. Other than a CCT does anyone ever remember an FJR engine "grenading"? Even under the worst of situations there are usually warning signs over a period of time.

I am very curious as to what Intech and company find inside that motor. While I hope they do find a cause I still think it would be cheaper and easier to find another used FJR and start over.

I have no interest or profit from the note I'm writing. I traded in my 07 FJR AE with 49,800 miles to Road Track and Trail in Big Bend, WI on an 09 FJR AE with 10,000 miles. They said that they were going to put new tires on it, clean it up, safety check, and look at the CCT, if it needed replacing they were going to replace it. They said when that is done which should be within a week. They were going to put it on their web site for $2,900.00. It will have no farkels left. I took the RDL, Gerald highway pegs, Heli-Riser and Hepco-Becker Top case/ They said they were going to remove the police light package (siren & lights) as they think it's illegal to sell it with them on. It had the oil changed with synthetic when needed from 20k to 49.8k as I had it done. It has scratches and rash as much as the average with 50k on the clock. It was dropped once or twice at no-speed and has never been in an accident during my tenure of ownership or according to the first owner in his. The mirror stay is also broken or not right as from the day I bought the bike the left mirror is somewhat less then perfect in how it can line up.

Please know that they have no relationship to me. If you talk to them and like it great. If you never do it's no skin to me.

In case it got lost in the dogpile in the other place...

11,763 mile 2009 "AE" motor on eBay - free shipping and $977 sounds like a good deal if it checks out OK

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-YAMAHA-FJR1300AE-ABS-ENGINE-MOTOR-TRANS-ELECTRIC-SHIFT-VIDEO-WARRANTY/173286827704?hash=item2858b326b8:g:9hsAAOSwS7Na38ig

Just have to swap a couple of parts (i.e. shift drum) out of the dead '07 motor

and

Someone did an engine swap using an "AE" motor. (JamesK) Not a big deal apparently, although there was a lot of discussion. Probably can swap a few bits from the dead one to make it work just fine.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/161693-converting-gen-2-ae-to-a-engine-is-it-possible/page-1?hl=engine

Edit - the same seller has a couple of '09 ECU's in his ebay store for under $100. A fix for '07 throttle issues. Might also want to replace the pulley on the throttle bodies.

Not an 07 but a 03 in the UK did 254,000 miles.It had been a ticker from 40K miles.

It didn't fail by seizing but it was a terminal failure. Part of the cylinder liner fractured towards the head gasket interface. The lumps of liner ended up the sump by-passing the piston skirts. The engine still ran but here was no compression on the affected cylinder. The cylinder head /valves were unaffected

I have a few pictures if anyone's interested.