First BBG Attempt

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluenoseFJR

Reaction score
I am thinking of attempting a BBG. Being in the Atlantic Provinces, it is a little challenging as there are not very many miles of twinned highway with higher speed limits. I have planned a route from Halifax to Montreal and back, which Google tells me I can do in just under 23 hours:

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Petro-Canada/Petro-Canada,+4200+Rue+Bernard-Pilon,+Saint-Mathieu-de-Beloeil,+QC+J3G+4S7/Petro-Canada,+7015+Bayers+Rd,+Halifax,+NS+B3L+2B8/@46.2106221,-70.5337574,7z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m20!4m19!1m5!1m1!1s0x4b5a21a3d8f172e3:0x5db35f6c99cc21c2!2m2!1d-63.6250885!2d44.6538276!1m5!1m1!1s0x4cc9002c08d270b5:0x8d87cee4b30cdea8!2m2!1d-73.2826862!2d45.5842188!1m5!1m1!1s0x4b5a21a3d8f172e3:0x5db35f6c99cc21c2!2m2!1d-63.6250885!2d44.6538276!3e0?hl=en

I would love comments from those who have completed the BBG and other long rides. I have done a couple of SS1000s, including one all in NS last year, but the BBG distance I have only done in a cage, which is much different. I have 24 hour gas stations picked out, with 7 total stops planned plus the final fill to stop the clock back at the starting point. I am currently planning to leave Halifax around 2pm. The thinking here is based on missing Montreal traffic and trying to avoid moose country in NB at night. With this departure time I should be through NB before dark, but not back to NB much before sunrise.

My concern is with the overnight portion and not getting too tired. Typically I would start a long ride in the early hours so any night riding is done when I am fresh. With this plan, I would have been riding for 8 - 10 hours before dark, so not so fresh. If, instead, I leave home around midnight - 2:00 am, most night riding would be done at the start, but I would be in Montreal (although I am turning a little short of Montreal, so maybe not as important??) around noon and if I leave too early could be in moose country before daybreak. I am starting to lean this way, but would like to hear any advice from those more experienced in the art of the long distance ride.

I'll also see if I can figure out how to get a Spotwalla link set up and posted for anyone interested. Will update my departure time when the final decision is made. Thanks for any advice offered!

Good luck and ride safe.

I'll let you buy me a coffee and tell me all about it when you get back
smile.png

Canadian FJR

My only real advice -- as I've never done a BBG -- is to pay attention to your mind and body. Bail out when either begins to fail, and you'll be around to try again.

If Google says 23 hours, you may be cutting it too close. There's gas station, bathrooms, and eating; they all take time and none can be ignored.

<edit 3 mins later> A different strategy? Ride to somewhere that can provide you immediate access to a twinned highway, and start the clock there. Avoid large cities,. They can bring traffic congestion at any hour of the day or night, and that will clobber your average kph.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not much wiggle room there! I have done SS1000 distances a couple of times as a function of having to get somewhere - not for the sake of doing it (not certified). I understand the desire to see what you are capable of doing but I doubt I'll ever try that particular distance ride in 24 hours.

Montreal can be a crapshoot although if you time it right you should be OK. Where is your turnaround point? As far as speeds are concerned, Nova Scotia requires some care, New Brunswick is possibly a bit more forgiving. Be VERY careful between Edmundston and Quebec City - especially in the non-divided highway stretches. Between Quebec and Montreal, I wouldn't push it. If you find yourself passing a lot of cars, you may be in line for a performance award. I try to stay on the lower side speed envelope of the fastest 30% of drivers to be on the safe side. Especially in Quebec and especially if you have plates from English Canada.

A BBG in Eastern Canada will be a challenge. With maximum speed limits of 110 km/hr (some lower), you have to keep the wheels turning pretty much all the time (or greatly exceed limits). Quick gas stop or washroom break but that's about it. Easier in the American west where there is light traffic, decent roads and higher speed limits!

Drop me a line (text message) if you are fading on the leg home and need a spot to lay over. As Hud mentioned, don't push it if you are running into excessive mental or physical fatigue.

(I'll email you a phone number)

Scott would know best about this ride, but I started a Trans Canada Gold (Hali/VanC) on this same route. I was bound by an overall time (Of a 10/10ths)

and did not get to choose my start time. My ride started at 22:09 and I fueled in Montreal at 09:49. I was not riding hard, but my split was 11 hrs 40 min.

I had to go inside at every fuel stop (American Card) Good luck and keep us posted!

Ride safely and come back. If the BBG fails there's always another time. If YOU fail there's no other YOU.

It's not about speed, it's about minimizing the time spent at zero MPH.

I always plan my overall time, then chop about 2 hours (or more) off the 24 hour deadline to accommodate for the unexpected. That might be delays getting fuel, construction, or even the need for a 20 minute power nap in a rest area.

Thanks for the replies. All input is appreciated.

Scott would know best about this ride, but I started a Trans Canada Gold (Hali/VanC) on this same route. I was bound by an overall time (Of a 10/10ths)and did not get to choose my start time. My ride started at 22:09 and I fueled in Montreal at 09:49. I was not riding hard, but my split was 11 hrs 40 min.

I had to go inside at every fuel stop (American Card) Good luck and keep us posted!
This time frame is helpful. I am hoping to shave about 20 minutes off this for each direction. While 'riding hard' is subjective, it perhaps means I can achieve my time goals if I don't get too tired. I actually know the route fairly well as I do it in the car with my family at least once a year. Never on a bike and never really on the clock though.

My only real advice -- as I've never done a BBG -- is to pay attention to your mind and body. Bail out when either begins to fail, and you'll be around to try again.
If Google says 23 hours, you may be cutting it too close. There's gas station, bathrooms, and eating; they all take time and none can be ignored.

<edit 3 mins later> A different strategy? Ride to somewhere that can provide you immediate access to a twinned highway, and start the clock there. Avoid large cities,. They can bring traffic congestion at any hour of the day or night, and that will clobber your average kph.

Ride safely and come back. If the BBG fails there's always another time. If YOU fail there's no other YOU.
It's not about speed, it's about minimizing the time spent at zero MPH.

I always plan my overall time, then chop about 2 hours (or more) off the 24 hour deadline to accommodate for the unexpected. That might be delays getting fuel, construction, or even the need for a 20 minute power nap in a rest area.
The above two quotes hit the nail right on the head, and are what I was basing my decision making on for departure time. I don't intend to take risks with this (beyond normal risks associated with riding a motorcycle). My wife and I lost our daughter four years ago, so I will ensure she does not lose her husband and my boys will not lose their father for a piece of paper that says I rode my motorcycle a long ways! In this light, traffic considerations in Montreal go out the window. If I get held up because of traffic, I'll just have to try again. I feel I have the best chance of making the ride without fatiguing myself if I start in the early morning (about 1am hopefully) instead of in the afternoon with an all night ride in front of me. This brings Montreal/Quebec traffic into play, but I think is the safest choice. If I find myself unable to maintain a steady speed or my place in my lane, I will stop.

I have set up a trip on Spotwalla that will be active at midnight Friday night (June 22) through to noon on Sunday. I will post a link on Friday for anyone that is interested in seeing how I do. Provided I have done it right (this will also be my first attempt at a public Spotwalla trip), please follow along.

Again, thanks for the comments/advice. This forum is fantastic for the number of people who genuinely just want to help!

BluenoseFJR posted: <snip>
I have set up a trip on Spotwalla that will be active at midnight Friday night (June 22) through to noon on Sunday. I will post a link on Friday for anyone that is interested in seeing how I do.
I am very interested, and expect that I'm not alone. Good luck, sir!

BluenoseFJR posted: <snip>
I have set up a trip on Spotwalla that will be active at midnight Friday night (June 22) through to noon on Sunday. I will post a link on Friday for anyone that is interested in seeing how I do.
I am very interested, and expect that I'm not alone. Good luck, sir!
About 12 hours left until departure. I will get home from work at about 4 pm (note, all times are Atlantic Daylight Time (ADT)) and get ready to go. Then find a second witness (my wife will be first) and try to get some sleep. I hope to leave the house at about midnight and head for my starting point, which is about 25 minutes away. If all goes well the start time for the BBG should be about 1am. Given that things rarely go well, it will likely be a little later. The Spotwalla trip is set to become active at midnight (ADT):

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=198225b23e55e0f7ed&hoursPast=0&showAll=yes

Hopefully I have set things up correctly for Spotwalla and this link will work.

860 km (out of 2414) in the first eight hours. Looks like he is keeping a decent pace. Daylight and comfortable riding temperatures should work out well as long as the rain holds off. (Showers predicted but no heavy precipitation)

Well he is getting close to his turn-around, and it appears he will be under the 12 hour mark. His concerns were the over night riding

and he has that behind him. Hoping for the best !

His fueling time stamp was 0052:52, his next "Ping" was 01:08, If I remember correctly the route starts out with a Toll Bridge (?)

Looks like 15 minute intervals on the tracking.

He is refueling now although his fuel ping has not marked yet. (12:44)

If he can match his time on the return ride, he will make it.

On one of my last rides (50CC THW/Sunset to Sunrise/East Coast 2000 Gold), I was transitioning from Eastport, ME to Madawaska, ME.

I took the faster route by crossing into Canada and then dropping down into Madawaska. I had a fuel cell and needed no fueling. I reached

the border stop. The agent checked my crossing time into Canada and said "You made good time" I replied that I had extra fuel and did not

stop. He said "You made REALLY good time" After a nice conversation, he smiled and ask me if I was going to the park in Madawaska, I

affirmed I was. He said "I hope you enjoyed your quick passing through Canada. You might slow down a bit." My point of the story… You can

make some good time on 2 ! Ask Scott !
punk.gif

I am hoping Bluenose can do the same!

My tip for anyone trying a BBG? Do it and talk about it afterward. If it tanks for any reason, then you can choose to do an after-action report or not.

In Montreal, turning around and fueling at 12:44 device time. If that timestamp has already been adjusted for the time zone change, he's in good shape with a slim margin of extra time.

Looks like he may have started at the Petro-Canada on Bayers Road at 00:52 local. ("I hope to leave the house at about midnight and head for my starting point, which is about 25 minutes away. If all goes well the start time for the BBG should be about 1am.")

In Montreal, turning around and fueling at 12:44 device time. If that timestamp has already been adjusted for the time zone change, he's in good shape with a slim margin of extra time.
Looks like he may have started at the Petro-Canada on Bayers Road at 00:52 local. ("I hope to leave the house at about midnight and head for my starting point, which is about 25 minutes away. If all goes well the start time for the BBG should be about 1am.")
I was thinking the same. I think his return fuel stops are the same as his initial fuel stops. If so, his Quebec City fuel stop is approaching soon.

I take his start time (00:52) and his first QC refueling time (10:09) and see it took him 9 hrs 17 min to arrive there from the start. SOooo I subtract

that from his finish time, and to be on schedule he needs to refuel in QC by 15:35. He is only 10 minutes away now at 14:59. He did well on the first leg

of his return. He did not refuel at the same location, but his time was around 15:02

8 minutes ahead at the half way point… now he is close to 33 minutes ahead. (In need of fuel soon though)

OK there is an on road Petro-Canada at exit 388. Thats my bet.

Thats why I am not a gambler
rolleyes.gif
maybe exit 456? Is he running aux fuel?

Or did he just not mark it?