Alpinestars Tech Air?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SProkai

Reaction score
Considering investing in the Alpinestars Tech Air jacket/vest. I see a ton of retailer and media reviews, but I am struggling to find rider reviews. I did search the forum and didnt see anything, much to my surprise. Anyone here using it? I am wondering how obtrusive it is, how hot you get in warm weather, what jacket you are pairing it with, have you had a deployment, any long term owner issues, etc.

There is a lot of information about airbag jackets on advrider. I think there is a brand callled HIT that's been around a while and gets good reviews. I do know that the airbag jacket will go with any riding jacket because it's more like a vest that goes over your jacket. Under no circumstances can it go under your jacket. Under the jacket if you were in an accident the jacket would prevent proper deployment. It's kind of like a construction neon safety vest that has a CO2 cartridge attached to make it expand on deployment, and a ring with a chain attached to the jacket. The ring attaches to the bike with plenty of slack on the chain. If the chain gets pulled the CO2 cartridge opens and deploys the airbag. So if you forget to dis-attach the ring before you climb off the bike the airbag will deploy, you will probably fall over and the bike will probably fall over. When the airbag has deployed it will shortly un-inflate and then the owner replaces the CO2 cartridge (about $15.00 to $20.00) and the vest is good as new.

That's not the end of the world as most likely the only injury will be to pride. Most of the people that have them say that this is something they can learn to avoid. On the positive side there are some riders on advrider that claim this device saved them from extreme injury or possibly death. I don't think it's very obtrusive as I've seen one or two on the road, the rider just looks like he's wearing a high viz vest to be seen. Also I don't think it adds much to the cumbersome aspect of your gear, but the combination of money and my forgetful habits that would probably end up with a few un-needed deployments.

$1,100 is a lotta dough, brother.

<end of statement>

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies. I’ve seen the over-the-jacket systems, including a video of a guy riding into an embankment and has a deployment. As an obsessive MotoGP fan, and seeing many deployments, the whole concept is very compelling. Still hoping to get first-hand rider reviews of the Alpinestars system.

As for the dough, I think of it as insurance. Spend some coin up front, and hopefully save a ton of money and physical trauma if it ever unfortunately has to deploy. I spent more than $1,100 getting a sprained wrist wrapped at an emergency clinic. I think it could be very worth it.

Good view as a trip to the ER in an ambulance alone will cost you several thousand on the truck and admitting charges before treatment. Ask me how I know..........Paramedic that worked the road for a while.

There s a thread on the Street Air in ADVrider. A couple of the guys have posted reviews. They aren't totally seamless and do have a few quirks.