Black Hills dirt ride with dakotadualsportriders.com

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abercrombie FJR

Reaction score
A former coworker and I made it down to the Black HIlls last weekend to join the group from the dakotadualsportriders.com for the spring rally. We had some great riding and I finally got a chance to really break in the new Beta 500. I've got a new nickname for the Beta 500. Since the thing is fast AF and scares the shit out of me I call it the Knobby Rocket.

We have camp set up, bikes are unloaded and its time to go hit the trails.
20180607_062644-L.jpg

Beta, WR250X and XL600R at the Custer Fire tower look out.
20180607_103434-L.jpg

Me and former coworker from Fargo Fire Department
20180607_103626-L.jpg

Bikes lined up at the Sugar Shack for lunch.
20180608_130202-L.jpg

Ye-Haa! made it to the top of flag hill. A narly, rocky hill climb that thoroughly challenged my amateur skills.
20180608_120750-L.jpg

Beta 500 got its first real slow speed dirt nap.
Dirt%20nap-M.jpg

Saturdays ride was a little tough on our group, Two riders went to the ER and one WR250R came back on the trailer with unknown problems.
20180609_184913-L.jpg

On the way home Sunday we watched Bear Butte Mountain making some really strange weather.
20180610_072557-L.jpg

Thats it for the pictures. I was having too much fun riding to stop and take pictures. I can't wait to get down there again in 10 days to ride the DakAL with MrBill, Russperry, CJ and bigjohnsd and see everybody at the Black Hills rally Friday night.

Awesome. Sorry to see the guys injured but the have huge smiles so it must have been good. Thanks for posting.

Two guys in slings out of how many? Seems like a pretty high "incident" rate. That's one club I'm not hoping to join next week!

Two guys in slings out of how many? Seems like a pretty high "incident" rate. That's one club I'm not hoping to join next week!
The younger guy was riding too fast on a gravel road and ran into a decreasing radius turn with a 15 foot drop off behind it so he hit the deck while trying to scrub off speed rather than go over the edge. The older guy is usually a hell of a rider and just went down on a straight piece of trail. He always brings up the tail so now one knows what happened to him.

The older guy is usually a hell of a rider and just went down on a straight piece of trail. He always brings up the tail so now one knows what happened to him.
Was he on a ktm? Those things throw riders even while stopped!
smile.png
He was riding a trusty DRZ400 and also has a KLR but he was doing a lot of lusting at the Beta bikes that were attending last weekends dual sport get together. He says his old bikes are too heavy to pick up when they tip over.