Tank bag suggestions?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RBEmerson

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a 15% discount to burn at my local stdealer. (beats the $25 certificate with a 3 day lifetime I got for buying my bike) I need a tank bag. My last bag had two levels, floors, horizontal compartments whatever, a zipper to let the lower compartment expand, and a zip in expander (tall enough to block the gauges). I used the top compartment for daily stuff (cleaner, glasses case, DMV stuff) and lower compartment for tire kit, compressor, disk lock, and helmet cable lock Of course there was the usual map case and, in the top flap, under the map case, was a pocket my EZ-Pass fit into. Unfortunately the mounting setup is bike-specific or I'd have kept it.

I assume magnetic mounts are scratches waiting to happen. Given the (potential) size of the bag, I don't see tank filler brackets happening. What's got straps, releases for access to the tank,and is FJR-friendly? And likely to be found at the dealer?

After years of experimentation with different bags and trying to avoid scratches, I finally went to the GIVI tank lock system last year. I'm pleased. It's clean looking, highly functional and there will be no more scratching. Non magnetuc too. It's so simple even I could install it. Don't know about finding it at a dealer. Maybe your dealer could order it and apply the discount. You won't be disappointed.

I've done OK with the Nelson Rigg magnetic bag. Minimal scratching but I am careful to keep the magnets and the mating tank surface clean. I only use it on longer trips. It goes on and off frequently for fuelling.

On my new(er) bike, I will probably use patches of painters tape on the magnet landing points on the tank when I use it.

I like the Bags Connection/SW Motech system. Their City bag fits the FJR perfectly and no tank scratches.

The stealer joke turns out to be no joke. Their listed bags start at $250 and get well into $300+. That 15% off doesn't do diddly. And it's all Ducati branded stuff. Gonna look real good on an FJR. Riiiiiight.

I cruised Revzilla and found a closeout Givi that's getting my attention. However, I like the idea of painter's tape (I have some very spiffy purple, quick release tape) on magnets. No worry about keeping the tank clean. That said, that opens up magnetic bags as a possibility. Sorry, ndivita, I just can't get behind tank lock bags. I like the concept for a day bag but I don't think a 25L (with full extensions) bag is going to do well there.

I guess I'll look at what's on the shelves Monday, but I suspect that coupon's not going anywhere. Unless somebody lives near Skippack; I'm sure we can work up a deal. The certificate has my name on it (MCC's birthday "present" to me), but I'm not above a bit of larceny here. [/ evil grin ]

For a few years, I used a SHAD 15 on my old Gen 1. Now the last couple seasons, I've been using a Cortech expandable that fits the FJR tank shape better, and is very nicely made.

Used to have a magnetic bag, I always covered the tank with tape to prevent scratches. More recently I got a Yamaha bag that uses straps. To stop dirt getting under it and the base wriggling, I duct-taped all round the edges (except the back). This worked very well, with much less preparation (and cleaning up afterwards) than taping over the whole bag area.

Since I got a top box, I've never used a tank bag ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have many miles on the original Yamaha bag.

Similar to this one

https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/eshop/detail.php?sectionId=AC&groupId=19&subGroupId=15&categoryId=64&itemId=3501&unitId=5007&unitName=2018+FJR1300ES+ABS&unitGroup=MC&unitYear=2018&items_per_page=12&page=1

Now called the City Bag

It’s magnetic but I always used a protective film on the tank. I would never use any magnetic bag without something on the tank, they all scratch.

For whatever reason, these were not available in the states at the time so I offered to purchase and send them across the border. I likely sent 8 or 10 of them.

Worth looking at

Where I shop fer my luggage needs - https://tourandride.com/cases-and-accessories/givi/soft-luggage/tank-bags They've always dun me right.
thumbsup.gif

I went through many brands and love the Bags Connection/SW Motech system.

The Givi EA103 is getting my attention. Someone, somewhere mentioned a company that does tank bags and nothing but. It sounded sort of Mom&Pop, but the reference was reliable and enthusiastic about the company. Does sound even vaguely familiar to anyone?

No maybe about it - that's exactly what I'm looking for. Great thanks!

Do you use one of their bags?

Not yet, I use an MV Motorrad plate and don't know if the bag will clear the handlebars. I read somewhere on this forum that some tank bags can interfere with pull back bars. Need to do more reading.

RKA is a mom and pop-run outfit, located in California. I've had good luck with their products. If you phone them, Richard (the "R" in RKA) will probably answer the phone.

It is a bit pricy (in the neighborhood of your (s)dealers). My buddy got one and I rather like it. It is well made and thought out IMHO. But as always, it all comes down to your preference and needs. I like the built in hydration bit.

YMMV