garmin lighter plug

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vandy

Reaction score
I have a question about using my Garmin with the cigarette litter attachment on my 2017 FJR. The unit works just fine in a car through the lighter adapter but I get no juice when using the one on the bike.. Does the adapter on the bike only accept a certain type of plug or do I have a small electrical glitch on my bike?

I would guess that the fuse is blown to your aux outlet in the glove box. Its not a special plug just a standard lighter socket.

Joe

It's useful to try more than one device to see if there is power in the outlet. My preference is to hard-wire to a fused connection. Cigarette outlets are a terribly unreliable power source in a high vibration environment. Better connectors are SAE, coax, and just plain wire with a fuse on the positive side. If you're really into a project a FuzeBlock is an amazing source that lets you choose whether to have full-time power, or one controlled by a relay that starts and stops with your bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^^ You can buy a pig tail power cord on line for the Garmin you have. It will come with an on-line fuse. I have mine connected direct to the battery so it is alive when the ignition is off. FuzeBlock is the best option. I only have two electrical farkles so I did not go with fuzeblock.

The cigarette lighter in my glove box has been powering my iPhone for years. Sure enough, the ignition has to be "on" for power to flow.

update.. I took an old spotlight that plugs into a lighter socket and nothing..

I thought I should double check it in one of my cars and still nothing,, bummer.

I had to file my spotlight in the old circular file.

I finally found another adapter that went to a phone so I plugged it in and of coarse nothing again.

Double checked it in a car and it worked fine so I had to attack the fuse area..

I couldn't find the chart that would tell which one went to the lighter so I pulled them all until I found a burnt fuse.

Swapped out the fuse for a spare one and all is right with the world again.

Thanks for your help everyone

What rating fuse did you use? By the way, something like a spotlight would most likely blow the original fuse!!

I don't recall if it was specifically the FJR accessory socket, but I have run into situations where the socket was a bit too deep for this or that adapter plug. Stated another way, the plug needed to simply extend further into the socket for that nose piece to engage properly.

I've also encountered cases where the plug seemed to be seated but had to be a bit more energetically pushed into place to work.

I don't recall if it was specifically the FJR accessory socket, but I have run into situations where the socket was a bit too deep for this or that adapter plug. Stated another way, the plug needed to simply extend further into the socket for that nose piece to engage properly.
I've also encountered cases where the plug seemed to be seated but had to be a bit more energetically pushed into place to work.
Found the same problem on Theresa's bike when I jury-rigged my Garmin to her bike for a trip to the shop. Had to wiggle the plug and push hard for it to seat. Problem is the socket as that plug worked easily in the car.