Lucille’s (née Miss Lucy Liu) last ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgross

Recusant Infidel
Reaction score
Hard to believe its been 5 1/2 years since I flew to PHX to ride her to her new home by the beach.

Fond memories of meeting Beemerdons and the chilly January ride home (420 miles just flew by).

Shes spending the next chapter of her life with our son, Jason, in WA. An experienced rider both off and on road, the FJR will be a nice change from his KLR.

Lucilles transitional trip was only 1400 miles over 3 days of riding, but we couldnt have asked for better weather or emptier roads - from start to finish!

We left San Clemente a little after 0400 on Sunday, riding north on I-5 to the Bay Area where we spent some time with my sister & b.i.l.. The forecast for the Central Valley was in the low 100s but our early departure allowed us to miss the triple digits by a healthy margin.

Leaving Concord at 0500, we crossed the Martinez/Benicia Bridge and rejoined the I-5 where the 505 terminates just south of Dunnigan. At Weed we changed to US 97 and enjoyed the ride to Bend, OR where we spent the night at the Cascade Lodge.

Yes, Id recommend a stay here! Friendly staff, spacious clean rooms, immaculate grounds (with a pool if that matters, quiet, and Lucille was parked right outside my window.

I walked a few blocks to breakfast at Sargents Cafe (delish & generous omelette), just past Dutch Bros.

Next I left Bend and headed toward Yakima, stopping for fuel just before crossing the Columbia River. There I met & chatted with a Canadian couple riding their BMWs down to a gathering in OR.

Heading west from Yakima the breeze began to pick up a bit. The TV weather woman in Bend had explained that the stationary high pressure was giving way to a trough moving through, so expect some wind.

From Ellensburg to the Pass it was fun but manageable, as the clouds moved in.

I exited I-90 on WA202, transitioned a few miles later to 203 and enjoyed tree-covered two lane riding all the way to my daughters place in Snohomish. You know how that grin sneaks on to your face when you see the yellow signs with the symbol for twisters and 20 mph next 1mile? Happened several times.

After a couple days at Sarahs I headed down to Maple Valley for Lucilles now garage.

They are moving to Spokane in a couple weeks so Im hoping Jason has time for a few rides west of and in the Cascades before they leave.

I reminded him to give a call if she disappoints - Ill fly back up and ride her home again.

Gonna miss ya, Lucille!

Here she is on her way to Ruben Run 1 in Nevada with Beemerdons in front of her, & the famous Bustanut Joker in her saddle! Long Live Miss Lucy- Liu!

15406774655_b1c12e729e_z.jpg

It would be kind of fun to get all the kids with the hand-me-down Feejers together some time. Only problem is they wouldnt likely want to hang with a bunch of olde fahts like us...

Last edited by a moderator:
Good stuff. I followed Lucy around the Utah mountains at the WFO in Park City with Don and did tires on her at the first Reuben Run. Now that she is close I expect to see her at a RR soon.

And @ bgross: what are you replacing her with? Another FJR?

Currently have no plans to replace her.

On road trips and/or those few occasions when my bride wants to go along we’ll ride the Wingabago.

For all others, it’s the Blackbird.

Great trip Bret...you got to ride some roads in my proverbial backyard! Too bad our schedules wouldn't work out this time, just rolled in today fresh from Spearfish II.

~G

Great trip Bret...you got to ride some roads in my proverbial backyard! Too bad our schedules wouldn't work out this time, just rolled in today fresh from Spearfish II.
~G
You may have rolled in but after 2 days of wind...fresh?
rolleyes.gif

Now Lucy Lui can go to the famous Northwet tech days.

Now Lucy Lui can go to the famous Northwet tech days.

Given her reputation as an “easy ride”**, maybe she could submit to some “group mechanics” for her next valve check?

I’ll suggest that our son keep his eyes peeled for the next gathering.

**Beemerdons was always generous, allowing many to borrow her. And she always showed a good time.

Yeah, we miss ya, Don!

Did you tell him to keep an eye out for scooters boogers? Good to know she has been passed once again (lovingly) to a deserving rider.

I saw the thread title and had a bad feeling! Very happy to know she is being passed along to someone else who will appreciate her.

Does she go through another name change now? How many miles at this point?

I think Don would have liked this!

Am I the only one that brought this to mind?

"Takin 'em off here boss!!"

"Hey Lord - whatever I done, don't strike me blind for another couple of minutes!! Oh Luceeeelle..."

Latest posts