Road Info: Hwy #277 From Abilene, TX To Sonora, TX

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I am planning an upcoming ride which may involve Hwy #277 in Texas. It looks to be a 2 lane highway (?)

Any info would help: Speed limit, busy times, LEO risk… I am dropping down from I-20W to Sonoma, TX for

a half way point of an attempted BBG3000. It will be on the TAIL end of a 10/10ths, so I do not want "Issues"

with this section of road.

Alternate routes would be welcome also.

Thanks, Tony

I took it a few months ago, typical road for out here minimal law, but with the oilfield rolling out here probably lots of trucks. Speeds will be 70-90 most of the way as that is normal West Texas traffic flow speeds.

When are you going I have a work trip planned up that way in a few weeks be happy to scout it out again

I took it a few months ago, typical road for out here minimal law, but with the oilfield rolling out here probably lots of trucks. Speeds will be 70-90 most of the way as that is normal West Texas traffic flow speeds.
When are you going I have a work trip planned up that way in a few weeks be happy to scout it out again
It looks to be a mid to late September ride.

That's a good road to get from I20 to I10. The closer you get to Midland/Odessa the oilfield traffic picks up by the multitudes and can kill you time wise. Be very careful of the sand and water trucks. They get paid by the load and if you see one coming to the highway they might hesitate but won't stop. HWY 285 between Pecos and Carlsbad NM is the deadliest road in the state right now. You will not make time on that road.

277 is a good road and you can haul if you want to. Not much traffic.

Do you mean Sonora on I-10? I can't find a Sonoma. 277 should be Ok but watch out for cattle and buzzards on the side of the road (no kidding, I killed a slow buzzard trying to take off with my 'Wing)

Just got back from West Texas (Orla) yesterday. Stay off 285 at all costs, it's construction from Orla to I-20. RR 302 is single lane with flag man from 285 to about three miles east of the junction. As said above, anyplace west of about U.S.-385/Midland is full of tankers and oilfield trucks. I think one person dies every week on 285. Most of the roads around that area are under some sort of construction so many of them have huge shoulders at the lane transition. Be very careful.