Rostra CC disengage by itself. ( new installation on a 2012 FJR...)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pierreroyoldtimer

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Last week I completed the installation of a Rostra CC on my friend 2012 FJR. It is working pretty well at those standard FJR dip switches settings : 1-2 off 3-4-5-6 on 7-8-9 off 10 on 11-12 off.

It engages very smoothly when pressing Set and keep the speed well on the flat and doesnt looses more than 3-4 km/h going uphill and catches up smoothly to selected speed.

But there are two problems:

1 - it tends to disengage itself at speeds above 100 km/h for no apparent reason.

2 - speed varies to much when going downhill, like it cant find the set speed.

Mine works so smoothly (2005...) now, I would like my friends CC to works as well...

Anybody have an idea?

You may need a signal divider for the 2012 - the ABS has a much higher frequency on the 2008+ bikes. The kickout at >100kph is probably because the frequency is too high.

reiterate try this

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:13 PM

I finally cured the disengage problem by disconnecting and grounding the blue tach wire...[as per the manual]... and yes, mine does surge somewhat when going downhill....haven't fixed that yet and prolly won't as it is not that bad....I usually just hold pressure against the throttle until off the hill

I resolved the cc ‘’disengagement’’ problem when I revisited my main connections at the fuse box. The main connector (brown wire with the 10 amps fuse) just fell apart when I barely touched it to change its location. I deduct that it was already broken right were it is crimped to the wire and was intermittently cutting the power to the actuator. I soldered the brown wire to the connector and went for an half an hour test ride and it never disengaged and kept the set speed very well at various settings between 80 and 120 km/h.

As far as the pulse divider is concerned, it solved my problem (x4) on my 2005 which perform flawlessly after setting the ppm at 28,000 and the engine setting for six cylinder low (don’t remember the corresponding DIP setting...). But so far I don’t think it will be needed on the 2012.

My 2005, with the 4x pulse divider installed and the actual DIP switches settings hold the speed within +-1 km/h on the flat, looses 2-3 going uphill and catches up very smoothly, and going downhill it’s even better, barely varying 1-2 km/h and I feel it gently adjusting the speed without surging. There are only 2 things it does I dislike, is when I press the coast button to slow down, it slows down a little sharply and more than needed and then come up to the new speed. Also if I accelerate manually let say 5 - 10 km/h or whatever speed above the set speed and then let it go, it will decelerate close to 10 km/h below the set speed before starting to accelerate to set speed. But I find it easy to live with, I either disengage it by touching the brake and set a new speed or I only have to hold the throttle for a few seconds, close to the set speed, until I feel the cc takes over.

On the autoroute I just love it.