Russell Day Long in danger

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While it may be inconvenient, brother, the two of you are welcome here. FWIW, we have never been threatened by wildfires. Wild parties ... maybe.

Thanks HUD. We appreciate the offer, but are fortunate to have family up the road in Weed.

Yes, Laam is 5 minutes from my house, and AFAIK, still safe and not in the evacuation zone, but Russell is.

This fire started from a "mechanical failure on a vehicle" and has taken off. We are now at about 45,000 acers with about 3-4% containment. Temps today are expected to be around 111. Light winds in the afternoon is a serious concern.

Fire jumped the Sacramento River last night, forcing (from what I have read) between 10K to 37K to evacuate from their homes.

I think we are going to start putting the things we want to save in the garage just in case.

Everything is covered in ash and I had my patients tell me yesterday that they are 30 miles away and finding ash everywhere.

From the radio, I have heard that this is worse than the Napa fires. As of now 65 homes lost, anther 70 or so damaged and up 5K at risk

I know exactly what you're going through. I live in Santa Rosa and awoke one morning in October to our city on fire. We were very fortunate in that the fire got to within sight of our neighborhood. A shift in the wind saved us. We have many friends that lost their homes. We lost over 3000 houses in our city and over 7000 total in this fire. I am very proud of the way our community worked together to help each other. Our neighborhood, our city and our county were outstanding.

Stay safe, and sad to hear of lost fire fighters. Wild fires can be more dangerous than structure fires in conditions like you are experiencing there in California.

Greg, thanks for posting. I've been thinking about you two all day--hope you continue safe and they get a handle on this thing.

Temps in Redding have been way up over 100o every day lately. 108 predicted for tomorrow. Bless those fire crews.

Well, we evacuated. Truck, dogs and the cat. Fire safe of doucments and some clothes. At the in laws in Weed. All are safe, that's what matters.

Sounds like the fire is lapping at the door

Will keep you informed as i find out if i have a home or not in the next few days

Can’t seem to copy the link but there’s a page in GeoMAC wildlife viewer by USGS, that shows all fires and this one is a monster, it’s already devoured homes in the northwest corner of Redding. Zoom in and it’s amazing in size already.

Wishing you well Gregory, all the best and if you need help put out the word soon.

Update time.

When we left yesterday, it was because someone came through the neighborhood saying there was a fire a few blocks up the way (in the direction of one of the only two exits from the sub-division) and when we went out to check out what was going on, all the neighbors were loading shit into cars and trailers at a frantic pace. So we assumed the worst and lit outta here.

We are back at the house, finding that much of the info we were getting from the internet (GASP) was way overblown. House and neighborhood are still standing. We came back to pack more stuff and are planning on leaving to FIL'S again. We are going to shoot video of all the stuff left behind for insurance should we need it. The fire has shifted in such a way that if the winds shift north, we are in it's path. While we are not on mandator evacuation, Michelle's Asthma is reason enough to get the hell outta dodge.

Thanks to all for the good wishes and the offers of help.

Will keep everyone updated and see you on the other side!