Gen 3 mirror mount/stay broken

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allen_C

Reaction score
I had a low side accident Sunday and my mirror stay and upper fairing broke. I'm thinking I could replace both myself but need some help!

Has anyone here replaced the stay and removed/reinstalled the front plastics on a Gen 3? I need to get this done within 5 weeks to attend EOM. I'm hoping to find someone either in a nearby state who I can ride to for assistance (bike is rideable) or is willing to or have video/pictures of this work.

Please post here or pm me if you have done this before!

Thanks, Allen

I've heard you provide this service but I need some assistance in removing the plastics to get the stay off to ship to you. If I can do this, how long will it take you to weld and return?

I had a low side accident Sunday and my mirror stay and upper fairing broke. I'm thinking I could replace both myself but need some help!
Has anyone here replaced the stay and removed/reinstalled the front plastics on a Gen 3? I need to get this done within 5 weeks to attend EOM. I'm hoping to find someone either in a nearby state who I can ride to for assistance (bike is rideable) or is willing to or have video/pictures of this work.

Thanks, Allen
I have been through this exercise. It's not for the faint-hearted.

You need to take off the fairings, documented in this thread. It includes pictures I took, which you can view here. I also did a pdf file that you can print out to take into your work area, download from this link.

Then you have to remove the front. I don't think anyone has documented it here, but I took some pictures when I did mine, clicky.

Hope you get on ok.

Allen, why take it off, just fix it in place like several of us have.

20170728_102049-1534179945505-L.jpg

Some have done with epoxy and fiberglass mesh instead of or in addition to the bolt in pieces. Can be done in place without removing plastic. Mine has 50,000 miles on this repair and no problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mcatrophy, I'll look at your info and see if it is doable. Thanks!

John,I need to replace the upper fairing anyway since I piece broke off and it's unable to be used again!

Thanks, Allen

You need to take off the fairings, documented in this thread. It includes pictures I took, which you can view here. I also did a pdf file that you can print out to take into your work area, download from this link.

Then you have to remove the front. I don't think anyone has documented it here, but I took some pictures when I did mine, clicky.

Hope you get on ok.
T

Thanks, Allen

Hope you get on ok.
Thanks for posting! I've done my '06 a couple of times. A bit daunting the first time around, but not real rocket science, especially with the posted instructions and pics. The nose is tricky, but the rest was fairly straight forward. Gen 3 may be a little trickier and I hope I don't have to find out any time soon.

...Thanks for posting! I've done my '06 a couple of times. A bit daunting the first time around, but not real rocket science, especially with the posted instructions and pics. The nose is tricky, but the rest was fairly straight forward. Gen 3 may be a little trickier and I hope I don't have to find out any time soon.
Gen 3 is considerably more tricky than a Gen 2.

Gen 3 is considerably more tricky than a Gen 2.
...and considerably more fragile as well. I dropped mine due to rolling off the kickstand and dinged the engine case, the fairing, broke the mirror and the stay, and scratched the pipe (no bags on).

I fixed the mirror and the stay (with a lot of friends help) and replaced the plastic. I can live with a few scratches. Maybe you can too.

Another thanks to Mcatrophy for the really outstanding how-to pictorial on that project, as he's posted so many others, always super helpful. But Allen, as I've complained before, that damn stay is so thin an brittle and (almost) inaccessible, if you can brace it with any kind of a patch like Big John suggests, I hope you'll think about it. I did the same thing--broke the stay and put some kind of a splint on it out of a fairly thick piece of aluminum that I bent to match, and it held up for almost two years.

If I hadn't tried to snow ski with my '14 early this spring, it would still be holding. Since the other damage was substantial, I had the shop replace the stay along with the broken plastic. If you can live with the cracked plastic, I suggest considering doing this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the ideas. I'm waiting for my local dealer to give me two estimates, one for them doing all the work and obtaining parts and a second for me providing the stay and upper fairing but them doing the labor. The fairing had a piece about 9" long and 6" wide missing, so it's not just cracked.

For those of you who patched your stay, did you still have to remove the plastics in front our can you do the repair without removal? Also, I've heard using epoxy or a brace. If braced, are you drinking holes in the existing stay?

Thanks!

This guy did a Youtube video on this. This may help. I did the epoxy and brace method on mine. I only had to remove the front dash. Eventually I'll do the complete replace but I'm not sure if I'm done tipping it over yet. :)

You can do it yourself if you allow enough time. When I broke mine, I ordered a new stay, then pulled off the plastic bits and all the electronics, then sewed it all back together with the new piece. Then I patched up the old one just to see how if I could. So now I have a repaired one on hand in case I ever need it. The shop manual lists the order that all the pieces come off and are re-installed. Just follow the instructions and you're good. Figure on spending a whole day your first time.After you've done it, much quicker. I posted all the relevant service manual pages here: