New Key Made?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmyz

Reaction score
I searched and couldn't find anything. Probably because it is as easy as going to Ace Hardware... my key is slightly bent and I only have one. Is that something only Yamaha can provide? Probably a stupid question but before I go running around town. It's not ready to break but eventually it will fail me and probably at the worst time.

Awe crap... hit post and found I could get blanks at the dealer.

Had my FJR at the dealer a few years back. I think when I dropped it off for a valve check. Told them to get me an extra key.

$20!!!! for an uncut key blank.

Always ask price first!

Luckily my local hardware store cut it for a couple bucks.

I ordered blanks through amazon. My original keys serve only as studs. Only offspring see locks once I get the bike home. The Yamaha key/lock relationship results in bent/failed keys more than any other vehicle I’ve owned.

11 years and 185,000 miles on my first original key. The second one is essentially unused. What the hell are you guys doing with them? It has been bent or twisted a little bit a couple of times but 5 seconds with a bench vice and all is well.

Edit: It is a USA bike so it isn't the invulnerable Canadian key made from unobtainium. Maybe the Canadian cold temperatures keep it from melting? (Made from an alloy of brass and wax)

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the Canadian key un-losable too? If so, you're fine, but I use American keys and they just go any old where. I like having more than one spare at home, and one I always have with me. I ground the head down and keep it in my wallet. When you get your extra key made, get three!

Hud, great info, BTW.

From the FAQ's file:

Ignition Keys:

Equivalent part numbers: Ilco YM63, Taylor X248, Curtis YM63,Silca YH35R
Same blank is used for: Yamaha: YZF, FJR, FZR, FZ1, R1, GTS, XJ, V Star, Road Star, Royal Star, Venture, F1, Warrior & TT-R models - 1993+. Vino Scooter 2001+.

Other Keys: Givi V46: Taylor X76

The Keymaker in the Bellevue Fred Meyer parking lot has made several keys for my Gen II, all work perfectly.