Yuasa battery - Alternative.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrbird

Reaction score
It's been around 6 years since I replaced my Yuasa battery and now it gives me some signal that it could be near end of life. So I googled Yuasa YT14B-BS and links are turned up with price $153. It was around $85 in 2012 so it is quite a jump (~50%). Is this a result of Trump's tariff war against import product? Anyway Goggle also turns up alternative from Chrome Battery sold on Ebay or Walmart for $42.65 here https://www.walmart.com/ip/YT14B-BS-High-Performance-Maintenance-Free-Sealed-AGM-Motorcycle-Battery/113818484?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=313&adid=22222222227040233657&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=60615561458&wl4=aud-273067695102:pla-99327889538&wl5=9031256&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=111838493&wl11=online&wl12=113818484&wl13=&veh=sem

Does anyone use this battery and if so how it comes out? The specs show CCA 145 while Yuasa 210. I live in southern California so not sure if CCA is really important factor. Appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

You get what you pay for! I bought a cheap battery for my truck, a year later I bought a better battery so I won't have to replace it again for at least five years of warranty.

I believe Yuasa is from Japan and is OEM.

The others seem to be from China ... and are almost always less quality and less longevity... for less moola.

My buddy from Taiwan says 'always buy from Japan whenever possible'. YMMV

The OEM Yuasa is from Japan but I believe that the ones sold in North America are manufactured here.

Yuasa has manufacturing facilities all over the world.

"About Yuasa Battery

Yuasa Battery, Inc. has been manufacturing powersports batteries in the United States to uncompromisingly high standards since 1979. We are the largest American manufacturer and distributor of batteries for motorcycles, snowmobiles, scooters, all terrain vehicles, side by sides and personal watercraft."

There are alternatives for ~$100. I have had good luck with both Westco and Motobatt for the FJR.

Happy hunting!

~G

Last edited by a moderator:
When my Yuasa went bad, causing all kinds of low speed drivability issues, I dropped in a Shorai 18AH that I had sitting on the shelf. It didn't work well in my BMW (which is why it was on the shelf) but it works great in the FJR. Not exactly the cheap option if you have to buy one, though.

I just don't see the advantage of a Lithium Ion battery in the FJR. Most of our batterieswork for many years, weight isn't a problem in a bike as heavy as ours, even the placement

of the battery, high up like it is, isn't going to make much of a difference unless your

at a track day. I bought the cheapest Ebay AGM battery I could find, for around 40 dollars,

made by Caltric I think, and it's been fine on this bike for over a year and I had one on my

03 for a couple of years before I sold it. Just my not so humble opinion. LOL
This is what I did as well (Caltric). $40.00 free ship. It has been about 6 months with no issues.
This is what I did too......only about 3 months ago though, all good so far.

Steve

I have the same year/model FJR, and have found that it is extremely sensitive to proper battery power/strength. Have tried a couple of cheaper alternatives, only to find that they gave me starting and shifting trouble. I'm back to the OEM, with no issues.

Well my lucky day! Today I searched Ebay for the Yuasa one and it turns up one for sale $101.99 with free shipping from Powersportplace store in OH. That compares to all others offering at $153, it's quite a big saving. Here is the link to Ebay if you want to jump the fence right away:https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yuasa-Battery-12-V-130-Cold-Cranking-Amps-Top-Post-Battery-Acid-Sold-Separately/183372134349?epid=7013022311&hash=item2ab1d4b7cd:g:VvoAAOSwnr9bbfEH

I googled to see if this is a real store and it is. It does show the battery on sale for 30% off the listing price on its website: https://www.powersportsplace.com/search/product-line/yuasa-agm-maintenance-free-batteries?autoview=SKU&keyword=YT14B-BS&sortby=BestKeywordMatch&sortorder=Ascending

Just installed one today, 118.00 from RidersDomain, Yuasa Web site has some interesting reading on filling and initial charging, both OEM and replacement were from Taiwan have fun.

The OE battery was always made by Yuasa GS in Japan, and they are made from virgin lead. Yuasa GS is a completely different company than Yuasa US. Replacement Yuasa batteries found in the US are made from recycled lead here in the USA. If you get the battery from a Yamaha dealership ($$$), there is a chance it will be an OE Yuasa GS or it could be a US. Some crappy dealerships will even try and foist a cheap Chinese battery on you. I wouldnt use one. Batteries have a knack for going bad at the worst possible time. Anything you do to extend the duration between these failures is money well spent, IMO.

YMMV

Last edited by a moderator:
I've tried several different batteries in the past (cheaper) The Yuasa batteries are still worth the extra cost to me. Had very good luck with them.

GP

FYI, I have a used battery thats been on a trickle charger for over a year and is probably 3yrs old, bought new then crashed the bike within a few months.

My current bike is new so Id hate to see it sit on a charger until Im ready again.

Its a GEP Power Products 12-4HR 20AH

For whoever is interested for the cost of shipping. Should be able to use a flat rate USPS box....$20..?

PM with email

Battery longevity is all about initial design, material specifications and manufacturing quality control. Yuasa seems to do it better than most. "Virgin" vs "recycled" lead is immaterial as is manufacturing location if specs are adequately stated and rigidly adhered to. I am not entirely certain that the Yuasa batteries not manufactured under the GS moniker are the same as what we get here but my limited experience with aftermarket Yuasa is good (so far).