Glacier park on fire now

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
60 miles west in Eureka MT, smoke is awful. Glad Festar and I rode the Going to the Sun Highway several years ago.

It's been a bd summer for fires. My riding buddy and I are leaving Monday for a ride up to British Columbia. We are going to take US 97 to the border and north to Penticton and Kelowna. We are going to go on east to Lake Louise and Banff and terminate our eastward ride in Canmore. Returning we will head down to Sand Point, ID and on the McCall, ID and then on to Oregon and California. If you are living in the the areas we will be traveling, is there any forest fire issues of major importance? Thanks for any input you may offer.

Art, check inciweb.nwcg.gov as it lists all fires burning on the west coast. There probably 20 fires burning in Idaho alone. I can’t help you out on the Canada fires, maybe someone up north can give you a current link.

Hwy 97 through Or. and Wa. are ok at this point. I just did Yakima and back with no problems other than smoke. If you have time for lunch going through Lapine give me a shout.

It's been a bd summer for fires. My riding buddy and I are leaving Monday for a ride up to British Columbia. We are going to take US 97 to the border and north to Penticton and Kelowna. We are going to go on east to Lake Louise and Banff and terminate our eastward ride in Canmore. Returning we will head down to Sand Point, ID and on the McCall, ID and then on to Oregon and California. If you are living in the the areas we will be traveling, is there any forest fire issues of major importance? Thanks for any input you may offer.
Most of Eastern Washington is on or near a fire. It has been very smokey here in Wenatchee but it cleared a little yesterday. Ive got a friend vacationing in Banff right now and his pictures seem to look like the air is mostly clear there. We've had five years of heavy smoke in August so it has become the morm anymore.

Definatly check whatever Canadian websites you can find. I have friends that were going to ride up there (Sorry, not sure where they were going to go) and ended up going to Yellowstone instead.

Good luck

Quote from a Yahoo article :

Smoke from hundreds of wildfires burning in B.C. continues to blanket western Canada, with Alberta remaining under a special air quality advisory for a third day.

The Air Quality Health Index in Calgary was listed at 10+ — or very high risk, the highest possible rating — early Saturday morning. It had dropped slightly to a 10, or high risk, by 9 a.m.

In British Columbia, the province declared a state of emergency as at least 566 fires were burning this week. More than 3,000 people were under evacuation order, and a further 18,720 were on evacuation alert.

Smoke drifting across the Prairies

Smoke from B.C. wildfires has wafted east across the Prairies, putting the entire province of Alberta as well as Saskatchewan, Manitoba and parts of Ontario under air quality advisories.

Almost all of B.C. is also included in the special air quality advisories.

Spent Thursday and Friday in extreme NW Montana, 12 miles from BC, 60 Miles West of Glacier, damn near in Idaho.

The smoke was dense, the sun was frequently obscured, there was only a light breeze until Saturday morning when a gentle NW breeze moved the smoke out of the Tobacco Valley and Further South and East.

We had the smoke in Spearfish last evening before the rain started in earnest.

Lots of fires in BC - https://governmentofbc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=ef6f11c8c36b42c29e103f65dbcd7538

Spent Thursday and Friday in extreme NW Montana, 12 miles from BC, 60 Miles West of Glacier, damn near in Idaho.
The smoke was dense, the sun was frequently obscured, there was only a light breeze until Saturday morning when a gentle NW breeze moved the smoke out of the Tobacco Valley and Further South and East.

Lots of fires in BC - https://governmentofbc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=ef6f11c8c36b42c29e103f65dbcd7538
Were you riding? I've ridden Hwy 37 along the east side of Lake Koocanusa many times but never the west side or the 508 or 567 in the way, way NW corner. Hwy 37 is a NICE ride! :)

Were you riding? I've ridden Hwy 37 along the east side of Lake Koocanusa many times but never the west side or the 508 or 567 in the way, way NW corner. Hwy 37 is a NICE ride!
smile.png
Yes, we rode! Festar is on his "Rideabout" - we have friends in Eureka so we rode up to see them for a day.

Festar continued on to Yak and points South on Saturday AM, I started home, 12 1/2 hours later I got here. We've ridden 37 down the East side of the lake many times, the FS road on the West side is good too but the Road over to Yak is exceptional!

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember many years ago going through Yellowstone after a fire has passed through part of the park. It was still beautiful and worth the visit. Eventually the forest grew back, though it is different from before the fire. We haven't lost Glacier, it is simply changing and will recover.

Just finished 2600 miles thru the Saw Tooth range, up around Glacier, into Waterton, Banff, Lake Louise, Nakusp, Vernon, Curlew, and back to the tri-cities. Smoke everywhere. We skipped the Ice Fields parkway because of smoke. Roads are good but the views were poor. Next time, we need to do it in June. By the way, I have not been to Lake Louise in 20 years and it has turned in to a circus. You can not believe how many people were there.