Road 5 GT news

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear that, was hoping my next set would be the 5 GTs... looks like I'll continue to run Roadsmart IIIs till then... ;o(

I just installed the regular Road 5s on my FJR. I have 34 miles on them, I hope I don't die a fiery plastic and aluminum death because I am not running the GTs.

Thanks for the information though, I was/am curious about when Michelin would release them.

Yep. I have regular 5s sitting in the garage. The 4GTs are wearing like iron, so I probably wont get to try them for a while. Good info on the GTs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wanted the '5's' GT, waited and waited; since I ride 1 up all the time, bought the regular road 5's. I am good with my choice and they should arrive this week.

Any word on the 5's from anyone who has put enough miles on them to provide an informed opinion? I suspect that handling will be decent. Lifetime and strange wear patterns have been an issue with some the Michelin fronts but rears have been generally better.

Looking for the next GREAT tire.

I rode 5s for about 5,000 miles, but gave them up with the 14 when I traded for an 18. They were great, felt and wore like the 4GTs.

Funny how tires are...... After NOT liking the PR2s way back when, I have had no desire to try the Michelins in many years. Lots of other good tires out there. Now as for my cars....... nothing but Michelins. From Costco of course.

RossKean,

Looking back on my records:

(Front tires only, Im a darksider)

Michelin Pilot Road 2

2 tires

Install date 8/9/2015 14,094 miles,

Install date 2/17/2016 13,442 miles

Not a bad wearing tire, plays well with the Darkside.

I have run Road 3 and Road 4 tires in the past on my other FJRs, they wore ok, but were very noisy due to all those thin sipes crossing the tire.

Pirelli Angel

1 tire

Install date 12/10/2016 10592 miles

Symmetrical design sipe pattern did not induce side to side tug due to scalloping, however this being a dual compound tire it did wear into a somewhat triangular wear pattern.

Avon Storm

1 tire

Install date 10/17/2017 9,867 miles

Major scalloping early on. Long slender stagger on the tread, when scalloped induces major negative feedback at lower speeds, higher speeds wears you out with the harsh ride quality. This tire did not play well on my Darkside bike.

Note... This AVON had no quality issues. Ive had many AVONS in the past that had failures due to poor quality.

Michelin Road 5

2 tires

Install date 8/24/2018 11,207 miles

Install date 2/29/2019 1,821 miles - so far

This tire also ran well, like the Perrelli Angel. It also has a dead symmetrical siping pattern. Even with the cupping that wears into the profile, because its the same, and in phase on both sides of centreline, it does not induce any side to side shimmy like the Avon Storm.

I got a few more miles out of it over the Perrelli, but not as much as the Michelin PR2. All and all, it also plays well with the dark side.

I like the Road 5 front tire. It handles good, wears well considering the extra forces the dark side puts on it, and I think the siping is better than the Pilot Road 2. At 1,821 miles, so far so good on the current Road 5.

For those interested, the Michelin Pilot Road 2, Pirelli Angel, and Avon Storm tires played with the General Tire G-Max AS-03 All Season Steel Belted Radial.

The Michelin Road 5 played with the BF Goodrich Comp 2 All Season Steel Belted Radial.

Hope this helps.

Brodie

🙂

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny how tires are...... After NOT liking the PR2s way back when, I have had no desire to try the Michelins in many years. Lots of other good tires out there. Now as for my cars....... nothing but Michelins. From Costco of course.
I never loved the PR2 fronts or even liked them - the PR2 rear tires aren't awful but always ran them with a Bridgestone BT023 front. The PR3 wasn't great in terms of lifetime or wear pattern so I gave up on the Michelin bike tires. Skipped the PR4 and thought I might try the "5" if I can get some reviews on them from people who have run them from new to the end. The trouble with a lot of the on-line reviews is that all the talk is about installing the tires and riding them for a weekend. The adverse behavior of a tire in mid-life (~5000 miles) is actually more important to me than when they are brand new. The nicest new tires I can remember was a set of Pirelli Angel GT - great for the first couple or three thousand miles and after that I could hardly wait until they were finished so I could change them out.

Hoping that Michelin got it right with the Road 5 !

RossKean,Looking back on my records:

(Front tires only, Im a darksider)

Brodie
Thanks Brodie. I did a couple of Darksides but I don't think I am going back there. I typically get more life out of fronts than rear tires (2 front to 3 rear). Interesting observation on your experience with the Road 5 - I am surprised it lasted less than the PR2 - I never found the PR2 to be especially long-lived. With the Darkside, I found that front tires wore differently (faster wear and more trapezoidal shape) compared to a MC rear.

The neat thing about tires is the more you ride the more you get a chance to support your favourite tire manufacturer. Whatever you end up spooning on, ride the sh*t out of it, and then come back and update this thread. Dont commit the sin of letting them age to death from neglect!

Brodie

😁

As of today, I have 5,245 miles on my Road 5's. Plenty of tread left. Based on the wear bars, the front is wearing a little faster than the rear. I would definitely buy again.