Riding affects neck/head movement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Constant Mesh

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
In recent years I've noticed that the range of motion of my head/neck is somewhat limited. I have difficulty bending my head back looking up. Also the left and right movement is stiff and somewhat limited.

I've often wondered if leaning forward on the FJR with my neck and head at a forward angle has contributed to this motion difficulty.

I'm 65 and I've ridden my FJR almost 100K miles in the last 15 years. That's a lot of hours with my neck bent at an unnatural angle with the weight of a helmet on my head.

Undoubtedly I've lost some flexibility simply because I've aged. But I've lost much more flexibility in my neck as compared to my back, knees, shoulders, etc.

Don't think it's related to motorbike riding. I re-started riding about 7 years ago -- after the kids left home -- and my neck was already beginning to stiffen. I'm not a doctor, but I'll bet it's because we continue to use the large muscles in our legs, arms, and back, while the neck gets moved less and less as we get older.

I can also blame mine on computer usage, since I get paid to stare at a computer for hours on end.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can also blame mine on computer usage, since I get paid to stare at a computer for hours on end.

^^^^ This, absolutely. Smart phones, too.

I also find it difficult to park the car.

...I've often wondered if leaning forward on the FJR with my neck and head at a forward angle has contributed to this motion difficulty.
I'm 65 and I've ridden my FJR almost 100K miles in the last 15 years. That's a lot of hours with my neck bent at an unnatural angle with the weight of a helmet on my head. ...
In my case, quite the reverse, I believe riding has made/kept my neck more flexible.
Whenever I spend more than a couple of weeks not riding, my neck definitely stiffens, can take a few rides to recover.

My rides do generally have a lot of over-the-shoulder "life-saver" checks (plus much scenery admiring :derisive: ), keeps the flexibility.

(76, but only about 80,000 FJR miles over the last 12 years).

Use it or lose it.

I've had an Audiovox CC during almost all those miles. I use the mirrors and don't do much head twisting. I almost never look back over a shoulder.

I use the CC almost all the time. In fact, I wouldn't ride a bike for very long without cruise.

I ride for the open air environment. Twisty roads don't interest me all that much.

I'm more akin to a Harley rider than a sport bike rider.

I got the FJR because it was a Yamaha. I expected that it would be pretty good because I had two Yamahas when I was a kid. They were good so I expected the FJR to be good.

I have always tried to sit back away from the tank a bit. This may have caused me to lean forward a bit more.

I blame my head and neck issues on a career of poor decisions and being a human forklift. There isn't a lot left from C3 thru C7 and the rest of the back isn't any better. Riding aggravates it but not riding is not an option. Getting rid of the Spyder helped a lot . When it hurts a lot then it's time for my heroin.
punk.gif

And by the way Carver is full of shit.
rolleyes.gif

Constant Mesh posted, in part:
... I use the mirrors and don't do much head twisting. I almost never look back over a shoulder ...
This sir, is a VERY BAD THING.

Head checks are essential. I cannot imagine riding without having my head constantly swiveling left to right: checking for side street vehicles when the traffic light turns green, making sure the empty spot on the freeway isn't being claimed by someone else, and maneuvering in parking lots.

Head swiveling is also needed when checking freeway medians for law enforcement, reading billboards, looking at scenery, drooling at cool cars and other motorbikes, and keeping my neck as limber as possible as I grow older.

I make much twisty when I ride. Like the up down head motion too. Like when your blinkers are not Left/Right but Up/Down. Where up means looking at approaching road.

In recent years I've noticed that the range of motion of my head/neck is somewhat limited. I have difficulty bending my head back looking up. Also the left and right movement is stiff and somewhat limited.
I've often wondered if leaning forward on the FJR with my neck and head at a forward angle has contributed to this motion difficulty.

I'm 65 and I've ridden my FJR almost 100K miles in the last 15 years. That's a lot of hours with my neck bent at an unnatural angle with the weight of a helmet on my head.

Undoubtedly I've lost some flexibility simply because I've aged. But I've lost much more flexibility in my neck as compared to my back, knees, shoulders, etc.
Here are some PT moves they gave me post-fusion that I do to this day when I have a time where either pain or stiffness strikes. Do them 3 times a day for as long as you want. I probably should do them all the time but once the restriction or discomfort goes away, I return to my ne'er-do-well methods.

Find a doorway where you can touch your elbows to the frame.

Standing up straight, place your elbows on the door frame (even with your shoulders) with your forearms up at a 90º and your palms against the frame. Step slightly through the door frame so that your arms are just slightly pushed back a little past center from your torso.

These are about flexibility so are done slowly and only just to the point where you feel resistance. Over time there will be more movement before hitting that resistance. The first week might seem like you've lost ground due to stiffness. No manly displays of manliness here.

Slowly turn your head as far to the right as you can (you should feel a slight stretch but don't go crazy). Keep all other angles (up, down, angled) straight. You only want to stretch that one muscle group. Count to 10 and slowly return your head to straight up and ahead. Count to 10.

Now slowly left for a 10 count then back to center for a 10 count.

Next up the same way (10 and center for 10).

Finally down the same.

You can also get red elastic bands from a PT supply. About 6'-8' is enough. Wrap the mid-point around an opened door hinge (a knob might get damaged). Grab an end in each hand and stretch your arms back even with your torso at shoulder height. Do this 10 times. Step closer/farther from the door if you have to to get to 10 reps. Step back a bit as it gets easier. build up to 3 times a day. Reps don't need increasing. This is flexibility.

What fusion?

surgery.jpg

I'm 66 and with the folks that do stretching! Most morning I get up and start my day doing light back and neck exercises and stretches, if I don't pain goes from tolerable to me to me turning into a feel sorry for myself asshole.

I move around a lot on the bike also, I'm lucky the guys following behind don't ditch me. They are always wondering what I'm pointing at!

Constant Mesh posted, in part:
... I use the mirrors and don't do much head twisting. I almost never look back over a shoulder ...
This sir, is a VERY BAD THING.

Head checks are essential. I cannot imagine riding without having my head constantly swiveling left to right: checking for side street vehicles when the traffic light turns green, making sure the empty spot on the freeway isn't being claimed by someone else, and maneuvering in parking lots.

Head swiveling is also needed when checking freeway medians for law enforcement, reading billboards, looking at scenery, drooling at cool cars and other motorbikes, and keeping my neck as limber as possible as I grow older.
Inability to head check might cause the end of my riding days.

Prius decided the venerable '05 and I would make a dandy hood ornament a couple of months ago. Among other (thankfully relatively minor - ATGATT) injuries is a pinched nerve at C8 that means I can't be sure if looking over my left shoulder will cause a bolt of lightning to run from shoulder through pinkie and ring fingertips. I don't even consider it an option to ride without the ability to head check on-ramp entries and prior to lane changes.

What Bounce said in above post #14..

I just completed 12 weeks of physical therapy for neck issues, they had me doing what Bounce suggested plus more.

I was sceptical about getting ANY relief at the start, but it works.

Another one is to step through the doorway (arms on the frame, with palms against the frame and biceps even with your shoulders. Stand up straight and step through just enough to feel a slight stretch/press between your shoulderblades. Hold for a 10-count and step back. Relax for a 10-count. Repeat 5 times.

Thank you Bounce for posting those stretches, they’re helping loosen my neck and shoulders up nicely. I’ve been losing sleep due to radiculopathy, primarily to the left arm. Now the trick is to remember to keep them up after pain subsides.