2013 Gen 3 won't keep running under load

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkusche

Reaction score
A recent problem I've encountered: the bike will run at idle in neutral. Put it in gear and pull away and it dies at anything under about 3-4000 rpm. Once under way, when I can get it to, it will continue to run IF, IF, I keep the rpms up there. The one thing I can think of is that I did top off the tank the day before this first occurred. With that, I ran the bike about 30-40 miles on that gas b4 this started. Battery reads good and appears to have/hold a charge. Fuel pump/filter? I vaguely remember seeing once about an aftermarket filter for around 7 dollars instead of the Yamaha one for ten times that since I think it is part of the actual pump itself which I'm guessing is associated with the fuel tank. Thanks to any and all for suggestions on the cause.

Any error codes?

Filter is a part of the pump

If fuel starvation is the problem, it is going to be worse at high RPM.

Any recent under-the-tank maintenance?

Check vacuum lines

Check spark plug connections

Possible throttle position sensor issue - reported for a fair number of Gen III FJRs. More often noticed as a "stumble"...

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/169700-anatomy-of-gen-iii-fly-by-wire-tps/?hl=%2B%2Bthrottle+%2B%2Bposition+%2B%2Bsensor

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/167846-2014-stumble-on-accel/page-1?hl=+throttle +position

Maybe you just got a tank of bad gas or gas with water in it. Did you drain the tank and refill it with other gas from a reliable station?

I got a tank of bad gas once and the symptoms were like you described, I was on a trip so I kept topping the tank off with premium at each town and it eventually ran better.

Thanks for the suggestions. No recent electrical work. Have taken the time to drain the tank. When I did top off a few days ago, it was for about 4 gallons or so. That obviously mixed with what was there. Possible gas problem? Yeah, I guess so but I wouldn't necessarily go there first. Not seeing any error codes. TPS did cross my mind as it has never been checked/adjusted from when I originally bought it, 47K miles ago. Air filter is clean, bike is kept in garage. Don't know about but don't think I have an evap canister. No under tank maintenance. Checked exhaust output by feel and both mufflers seem to be putting out the same strong steady pulse(feeling the air exiting the muffler). It seems to idle ok sitting on the centerstand in neutral. Got home a few minutes ago and thought I'd try it with the bike in gear, again just on the centerstand. It ran and kept going on the upshift from 1-2 and then 2-3. One thing that did show that wasn't there b4-the engine and TCS lights stayed. I checked the manual and if I interpret correctly, those stay on if its on the centerstand OR there is an electrical malfunction. So, if electrical, what to check for? Hmmm....not sure there. My initial inclination was a battery prob but it seems ok, as voltage reads a bit high out of the bike(14.4) and headlight output doesn't drop with usage. I guess in the end, I bow down to the wizards of smart for any and all suggestions. Thanks.

Got into DIAG mode(didn't know how until a few minutes ago) and found error code 69. Anybody know what that means?

If the bike was a California model, it would have the vapor recovery canister but your symptoms are not consistent with a flooded canister - that goes away after a few minutes. The only sort of electrical problem that you might have is with one of the coils or plugs (or connections). Don't know if that would set a code on a Gen III or not. You have ruled out air filter and I don't think it is likely to be gas at this point. You might try a good dose of Seafoam and take it for a good run on the highway in 3rd or 4th to keep the revs up.

Still think it is worthwhile to check out the TPS - did you get a chance to go through the linked threads?

... try it with the bike in gear, again just on the centerstand. It ran and kept going on the upshift from 1-2 and then 2-3. ...
Got into DIAG mode(didn't know how until a few minutes ago) and found error code 69. Anybody know what that means?
You can forget the code 69, i quote from the workshop manual:

Front wheel sensor: no normal signals are received from the front wheel sensor.

Your centre-stand test will give this code (which will clear itself on your next normal ride).

Does it have as much power as it used to have, when it gets up in the rpm range? Or is it weak up there? You can buy a cheap infrared temp. sensor at Harbor Freight and point it at all four down tubes while you keep it running and see if any of them are colder than the others, that would help to decide ifs fuel or spark, or mechanical.

it seemed by seat of the pants to still be strong up top. I put some seafoam in tonight. will let it "filter" into the gas overnight, run it tomorrow and see what happens. based on the feel of the exhaust pulses out of the mufflers, I doubt that any cylinder is either misfiring or not firing at all. I had an FZ1 b4 the FJR that had a bad coil on one cylinder. That was a bitch to tack down until I found about the individual coils or COP technology, i.e. coill on plug. Don't know if the FJR has that same feature though if it is maybe more automotive style. thanks.

The problem is consistent with a flooded evap canister that has enough miles on it to have turned the charcoal to coal dust. When the bike takes a sip from the canister, the resultant pudding can pretty much weld a fuel filter (not on a Yamaha) or fuel pump shut. DAMHIK. But since you don’t have one, I’d worry more about a vacuum or vent problem.

it seemed by seat of the pants to still be strong up top. I put some seafoam in tonight. will let it "filter" into the gas overnight, run it tomorrow and see what happens. based on the feel of the exhaust pulses out of the mufflers, I doubt that any cylinder is either misfiring or not firing at all. I had an FZ1 b4 the FJR that had a bad coil on one cylinder. That was a bitch to tack down until I found about the individual coils or COP technology, i.e. coill on plug. Don't know if the FJR has that same feature though if it is maybe more automotive style. thanks.
I am not sure about Gen. 3's but on earlier FJR's there were two coils, one for 1 and 3 and one for 2 and 4. There was a mod a year ago or so where I guy put an R-1 Coil on Plug setup in his FJR. Good luck

Ugh! Tried to ride it today after the seafoam trick and it quit and has added error code 019 in addition to code 069 and won't start with the check engine and ABS lights staying on

problem turned out to be a loose wire connection INSIDE the ignition switch causing the sidestand cutoff to act as if the sidestand was down

Latest posts