Which bike would you pick/keep?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceebass68

Reaction score
03 silver with 18,000 original miles. In great shape except it has been down. Right side lower fairing and pannier cover scratched up but, getting those repainted now. Mast that carries the front fairing is bent a tad. You'd have to KNOW it was to notice it. Because of that, the black dash panels/covers are a little "off tolerance" compared to new. Bike runs great, no mechanical issues, only cosmetic - which can mostly be fixed.

OR...

04 Cerulean silver (abs) with 74,000 miles in perfect shape. 1 owner bike, all services done, not a scratch. Some added accessories like top givi box and upgraded seat.

Lets just say both are close in price... I have several other bikes that get my attention so, the mileage wouldn't rack up fast on the one I keep.

My thoughts...I like the idea of MUCH lower mileage despite the cosmetics and, I love the black wheels on the '03. Other than that, undecided.

Your thoughts?

FWIW, my other bikes are '99 valkyrie interstate, '07 Yam fz6, '95 Vulcan bobber

Thanks guys!

I would take overall condition and ABS although it might be a tough call. Mileage at 74,000 shouldn't be a problem if you don't expect to put a lot of miles on it. (Might be a bit concerned about a 15 year old bike with only 18,000 miles...)

If you decide to go with the '04, make sure the ABS is working properly.

The 04 came in abs and non-abs models. So if abs is a difference maker, make sure the 2004 has it.

I'd probably lean towards the 2003. I picked up a 2003 VTX1800 last year with 9,000 miles on it. Somebody's garage queen. Runs like a champ.

My '04 w/ABS had close to 70k when I sold it. It was in nice shape, constantly maintained with records and had plenty of upgrades. I trusted it to go anywhere. That said, it was showing it's age. With that many miles things like wiring and connectors, fasteners hard and soft, and other little items showing overall wear and tear were evident. And as has been said here already, those ABS blocks are notorious for freezing up so having that on the '04 may be a non-issue anyways. I'd lean towards the lower-mileage '03 (ya know, outside our little FJR world I'm not sure 18,000 is even considered lower mileage), especially being the black wheels speak to you and the cosmetics are already being fixed. Maybe for a little custom touch while the fairings are off, install the body-side turn signals from an '04 or '05 and remove the '03's OEM stalks. Those always stood out to me.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the input. I seem to always use resell value as a part of my evaluation when I buy a bike. May not sell it but, then again, I may if I don't like the ride or, get caught in a financial crunch. More info for perspective: I already bought the 03. Paid $1,200 for it. Put $200 worth of new tires on it so far and changed the fluids. Other than the blemishes I mentioned, it seems to be in awesome shape. When I saw the 04 come up for sale (at $2,200), in a little better cosmetic shape, it got me thinking... Maybe I could "flip" the 03 once fixed up, make a few dollars, pick up the 04 and have about the same amount of $ invested...making any sense?

ADVANTAGES to 04 as I see it - better brakes, never been down, better seat and has a top box. Like that it also has the "glove" box in dash.

DISADVANTAGES to 04 - more expensive, ALOT more miles, silver rims

If you opt for the 04, be sure to check that the ABS is fully functional before plunking down the cash. Try to lock up the rear wheel during a test drive. If you can, the ABS is fubar, and it will be excessively expensive to get it working. If you cant, and you feel the typical ABS pulsation in the pedal, you are good to go.

I like having ABS on a bike this big and heavy. To me, lack of ABS is a deal breaker.

I'm a believer in ABS also and give it high priority but other than that - especially if it is not working - I don't see the '04 as being much of an upgrade over the '03. If you do end up liking the platform and want to upgrade with a flip then I'd look for a later model Gen II or even an early Gen III funds permitting. That's where I believe you'll notice some real improvements.

If you opt for the 04, be sure to check that the ABS is fully functional before plunking down the cash. Try to lock up the rear wheel during a test drive. If you can, the ABS is fubar, and it will be excessively expensive to get it working. If you cant, and you feel the typical ABS pulsation in the pedal, you are good to go.
I like having ABS on a bike this big and heavy. To me, lack of ABS is a deal breaker.
The back ABS on a Gen I can cease to work while the front ABS works just fine. When the conditions are right, I demonstrate it...
whistle.gif

Given that the front wheel does > 85% of the braking, I pretty much stopped using the rear.

Once ABS has saved your bacon, you will never choose a daily rider without ABS. People who haven't ridden with it think ABS is about emergency stops. Yes, but it will also save you on tar snakes, lane markings, and all manner of surfaces.

Last edited by a moderator:
"More info for perspective: I already bought the 03. Paid $1,200 for it. Put $200 worth of new tires on it so far and changed the fluids."
Congrats and welcome to the clan!
You're quoting PM(?) from the OP? Any reason why he didn't stick around after that to post his news or thank you?

Or am i just being curmudgeonly?

Very much after the fact, but...

Given the choices, if I could budget for possible problems showing up a bit sooner, I'd take the '04. OTOH road rash and low miles speak of problems which may be closer, for the '03 than for the '04. Given '04's done 74K, if there's any kind of service record, and it doesn't show any red flags, life is good. In any case, a second, pro look is needed for either bike. And I concur with "No ABS, no deal".

BTW, the Ryan F9 series is worth following. Tons of meaningful info (take that RevZilla!), well presented (in yo' face, RevZilla). Videos' production values are great! Too bad FortNine won't sell to the US (I asked) - I'd be on them like white on rice.

I should have picked up on that. I've learned, the hard way, buying the first year's release of almost anything means becoming a "late beta" tester. "He who lives on the bleeding edge gets sliced by the edge".

Latest posts