New suspension adventure - for the Hayabusa

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warchild

Benevolent Dictator
Reaction score
This summer's multiple trips on the Hayabusa have indicated I am woefully overdue to freshen up the suspension. Like, way overdue.
uhoh.gif
Suspension systems are about the *only* bike components I am not willing to work on (the internals) myself - in addition to tools needed, etc, I don't do it often enough to stay good at it. Of course, there's no problem at all installing forks/shocks -that's straightforward enough. Suspension rebuilds, however, can be a different matter.

Forks: Not that I've been neglecting them, per say - I've change fork oil several times, replaced leaking seals, etc - but the fact is, after ten years and 100,000 miles, the front end is just tired, completely tired. Springs seem pretty spent - I have to jack up the pre-load almost to the max.

Shock: This my third OEM shock, previous two replaced under warranty. When new or still fairly young, the Hayabusa's factory shock is actually pretty good, you can adjust all three circuits (though preload is an ass-pain to adjust). However, this shock has 30,000+ miles on it, it is beyond tired and needs replacement. And my Extended Warranty ran out years ago.

So... I have been mulling over what to do for this decade-old, 100,000-mile LD warhorse. Since I am keeping this bike, it is time to re-invest in it.

My first thoughts were toward the forum's tried-and-true suspension guy, Dave at GP Suspension. But then I remembered he moved his shop to Oxnard, CA, which isn't exactly next door. I could elect to just work with him remotely, since I know him and his work.

Then there is always Traxxion. They certainly know their stuff; I recall a set of AK-20 cartridges in my 2000 Honda CBR1100XX forks that were superb in every respect. But then - Traxxion is on the other side of the country.

What about a third approach... find another suspension pro here in the PacNorWest, and work with him? So I did some googling and researched a guy in Chehalis, WA. Called him up and talked to him at length. He runs his mom-n-pop business from home (literally - "Pop" is the technical craftsmen, "Mom" runs the accounting books.)

It was apparent to me within minutes speaking with him that this guy knows his stuff. We chatted for quite a long time - best part of a hour - on how the Busa is set iup, what is is the bike's normal underway configuration, my weight, typical Givi bag weight, 4.8 gallon aux fuel cell weight, riding style, riding environment, etc, etc.

Then he hit me with what he wants to do:

Forks: I will retain the outer tube and slider - not much else. He's going to put in Race Tech springs (at least 1.0; he says that might go to 1.1 after he consults with Race Tech engineers). Rebound and compression circuits will also be swapped out for Race Tech Gold Valve equivalents. Then he will work out a custom shim stack for me.

Shock: His rear shock recommendation completely stunned me (and this is what convinced me to try this guy): he said that while I could buy a $1400 Ohlins unit from him if I wanted to, instead, he says why don't I save a ton of money and let him rebuild my factory shock with Race Tech internals, and re-spring it at the same time? I told him I was unaware that the factory shock is rebuild-able. He says "that's what the manufacturers want you to believe." He says when he is done rebuilding my OEM shock with Race Tech internals and stiffer spring, I will be amazed at the results.

I am going to give this guy a shot. Probably won't give him my forks for a while - maybe not till winter. Or I might move fairly soon, we shall see. Wish me luck, and I will of course report back with results when this adventure is over.

The business is called "Suspension Done Right", and while his web site itself could use an overhaul, this owner Bob Halverstadt seems like a very sharp guy. https://www.suspensiondr.com/

Another resource in the PNW...keep us posted on the progress Dale.

~G

Last edited by a moderator:
First update... got my Rebuild Estimate.

While I grimaced at the total amount, I realize I'm just gonna hafta pay the $$$ for the quality I demand.

Fork rebuild costs are coming in at ~ $545.00. I am not unhappy with this amount - if all I have to do is reinstall the forks on the bike and ride - then I consider this to be a good deal.

Shock rebuild costs is a little shocking <groan>, coming in at ~ $615.00 Then again, that includes a new, heavier spring, and almost all new internals from Race Tech.

So after taxes, etc, about $1435-ish. For a turn-key solution to my Busa suspension woes - I'll take it. Quite frankly, before I found this Chehalis connection I was looking at spending this amount just to replace the rear shock alone.

All that having been said...

I suppose I could just say fuckit, and score a set of these babies here... if I had a spare $2500.00 lying around...
rolleyes.gif

Ohlins_Road_and_Track_FGRT_200_Front_Forks.jpg

$1500 is still considerable cheaper than what I am looking at for just parts for my FJR suspension, AK 20s in the front and Penske in the rear.

I only want to cry once, and be able to smile for many miles after!!!!

First update... got my Rebuild Estimate.
While I grimaced at the total amount, I realize I'm just gonna hafta pay the $$$ for the quality I demand.

Fork rebuild costs are coming in at ~ $545.00. I am not unhappy with this amount - if all I have to do is reinstall the forks on the bike and ride - then I consider this to be a good deal.

Shock rebuild costs is a little shocking <groan>, coming in at ~ $615.00 Then again, that includes a new, heavier spring, and almost all new internals from Race Tech.

So after taxes, etc, about $1435-ish. For a turn-key solution to my Busa suspension woes - I'll take it. Quite frankly, before I found this Chehalis connection I was looking at spending this amount just to replace the rear shock alone.

All that having been said...

I suppose I could just say fuckit, and score a set of these babies here... if I had a spare $2500.00 lying around...
rolleyes.gif

Ohlins_Road_and_Track_FGRT_200_Front_Forks.jpg
Wouldn't all of us sport bike riders like a set of those!!?? I'd love to have some for my TLR.

That's what I was expecting to hear. Nice that you found this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/5Pn0y_ReGYc

i want a busa after watching this guy!...

I did the racetech , emulator and full bling on my track sv650 its worth it for sure. I did rebuild a fz1 shock with traxxion when they used to do it years ago[when they too were real small]. that thing was real good.

Last edited by a moderator:
punk.gif
punk.gif
Going to take the mighty, mighty Busa up to see this man at "Suspension Done Right" today...
punk.gif
punk.gif

The weather is not very sunny, but supposed to be dry up over White Pass on HWY 12 - should be a nice ride.

Pics to follow.....

WashedAug2018.jpg

As you are probably well aware, LEO enforcement will be very heavy in the area today through the weekend.

I am slightly ashamed to admit that I likely significantly dipped into the LEO karma bank today.
uhoh.gif

I was well-behaved riding out to Chehalis.

For some reason, I was less well-behaved on the ride back home.
rolleyes.gif

I go back out for another ride Sat-Sun, this time to idaho... I planned to be a model citizen.

It could happen.
weirdsmiley.gif