Heat Shield Sleeving for wire harness

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaulinAshe

Reaction score
After almost an entire week of searching locally for a suitable product, I finally ran across this item at a small NAPA parts store.

NAPA 727509 Heat shield sleeving for plug wire

It is VERY expensive, $59 for 12 feet. But you will spend $90 buying a 50' piece of heat resistant wire loom from most online sources. The worst thing is leaving the bike opened up while you wait on UPS!

I realize that a long piece of heatshrink tubing could also be used. But that was not available locally either. The NAPA material is certainly several grades better in terms of heat shielding and abrasion resistance. So if you are truly anal about the life expectancy of your wiring jobs (as I am), try this stuff.

Jeff

Toe,

Don't have any heat issues on the 07! :rolleyes:

I'm mostly concerned about having a 10-gauge wire running exposed along the frame. I added a fusible link to the scheme, but some sort of abrasion and UV protection seems very necessary to me. And I HATE that cheap-ass plastic wire loom crap!

Jeff

The word has been out for the highly-desireable asphalt loom as seen here:

wire-id.jpg

also available at NAPA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Bounce.

I'm hoping and expecting that this stuff is going to hold two(2) 10-gauge power wires and one(1) 18-gauge signal wire with no problem. That will eliminate the need for three separate looms.

There is also a tape that can be used. I will have to find it. In fact I think it is at Home Depot. I used it when I was in the Electronic industry in San Jose. Sticks only to itself and seals for water, high voltage, and abraision. I use it in trailer wiring too.

It is not very expensive at all (well compared to electrical tape it is though)

I will look for it and report back

After almost an entire week of searching locally for a suitable product, I finally ran across this item at a small NAPA parts store.NAPA 727509 Heat shield sleeving for plug wire

It is VERY expensive, $59 for 12 feet. But you will spend $90 buying a 50' piece of heat resistant wire loom from most online sources. The worst thing is leaving the bike opened up while you wait on UPS!

I realize that a long piece of heatshrink tubing could also be used. But that was not available locally either. The NAPA material is certainly several grades better in terms of heat shielding and abrasion resistance. So if you are truly anal about the life expectancy of your wiring jobs (as I am), try this stuff.

Jeff
Jeff, hold off ordering this VERY expensive stuff. Try JC Whitney. When I added a Blue Sea fuse block I got some heat resistant sleeving there for much less. How much do you need...as I think I have some left. Blue, tan or red?

EDIT: Heat Resistant Sleeving

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
The word has been out for the highly-desireable asphalt loom as seen here:
wire-id.jpg

also available at NAPA.
Sorry Jeff and other's I have some NAPA 73104 1/2 asphalt loom left from my power up install, the 1/2" will hold a quality 3 wire 10g sheathed cable that I ran trough the 73104 and then ran down the left side (didn't want to this again!) It was a PITA but it's done!

Thanks to you all for the generous offers of material. I bought the NAPA stuff this morning and already have my wires threaded into the harness. I've run out of time (and patience) to finish this project. It's supposed to be in the mid 60s this weekend, sunny, and I even have a date that wants to take a ride (on the FJR).

:)

I gotta get all those damn panels back in place and finish Cherie's surgery TONIGHT!

:yahoo:

I never wasted my hard earned $$ on that crap. I just ran my wires through some 5/8" fuel line. About $.75/ft.

I guarantee there's no difference in heat protection.

I never wasted my hard earned $$ on that crap. I just ran my wires through some 5/8" fuel line. About $.75/ft.I guarantee there's no difference in heat protection.
Geez, that's a great idea. I makes a reasonable amount of sense that fuel line would be heat resistant. :lol:

If I ever rework my electrical farkles, I'll go that route.

I bought a lifetime supply of heat shield tubing from JC Whitney a year or so ago, comes in various sizes and colors. Very reasonable. Ian, Iowa

I never wasted my hard earned $$ on that crap. I just ran my wires through some 5/8" fuel line. About $.75/ft.I guarantee there's no difference in heat protection.
Nobody around here had anything larger than 3/8" fuel tubing, unless it was some type of pre-formed hose or high-pressure hydraulic line. They wanted more for that stuff than I paid NAPA.

I like your idea and tried to pursue it earlier this week. But after five days of searching I gave up and paid The Man.

:(

I was never able to find the NAPA parts, so instead I have gone with Self Wrapping Split Braided Sleeve from Pegasus Auto Racing. This has worked great and can be bought by the foot, and comes in fix different sizes depending on what you want to put in it. I am using the 3/4" size for running most everything.