I used a non-OEM oil filter...hope my bike doesn't blow up!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad German

Reaction score
I had some free time today, so I decided to change my oil. My dealer is closed, so I did a little Google-foo and it looks like the Mobil 1 M1-108 (& M1-110) filters will work. The 108 is the same size as the OEM one I had, ~2.5". (The 110 is about 3.25")

I haven't used an aftermarket filter for years because I have a really nice hookup at my local dealer. However, I needed to take advantage of my free time that I had today.

Wish me luck, fellas. Hope she doesn't blow up on me, lol!

Be sure to keep the clutch lever covered so when things lock up you won't flat spot the rear tire.

Watch out for oil leaks. I understand some filters that are supposed to be right won't seat properly. Talked about a fair bit, one warning post here.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you look at it like a belly button, get the one with the 'innie' not the one with the 'outie'.
rolleyes.gif

Fun this thread going now. I have used Purolator Pure One filters for yrs. Changed oil about a month ago. All good until 2 days ago. Went to get on bike and she was bleeding all over the floor. Filter started to leave. Checked for tightness. And it was. Thru another filter on and it seems good to go

I have had issues with Pure One filters on certain bikes. They can be too restrictive for some bikes (i.e. Tiger 1050). On cold mornings be careful of oil starvation to the top end until the engine warms enough to thin the oil.

It's been about 100,000 miles since my bike's had a Yamaha oil filter on it, no leaks, motor still works. I still find Bosch filters with the "innie" and Mobil 1 that work well, get them at the local autozone, walmart or wherever. Hand tighten until you feel the gasket compress and you're good for 5K or so...

I've been running Bosch filters for most of the 135,000 miles on my 07. I like the larger than OEM size, black color and low cost ($4 each when bought in quantity from rockauto.com). But they changed from an innie to an outie on the thread boss, so my solution was to get the Norm Kern modified filter union bolt (not sure if he's still selling those?) that now allows me to run whatever filter I want.

Hud, Im here. My FJR is doing fine. Im planning on riding her today. I hope she doesnt blow up on me now...!

After reviewing the Gen II Bin O Facts I purchased some Purolator PL14612 oil filters.(Thought I would same some money) I have used this filter in the past and it worked OK. on my 2005 and my 2011. I recently changed the oil and filter, torqued the filter to 12 lb ft, and went for a test ride. Thought all is good to go until I looked at the bike the next day, oil all over the floor. Thought maybe I torqued the filter incorrectly so I tried to increase the torque and realized the filter was metal to metal. Took the filter off and saw the the thread plate is now convex, crap my bad. Ordered some OEM filters and all is well, no leak at 12 lb ft.

Not sure how the Bin O Facts gets updated but the PL14612 filter may need lined out like the PL14610 filter.

Gen II Bin-O-Facts

Post #1

I see a whole section as "pending review" and the text references are struck through. Is that the section or is it another?

Could you click on the REPORT button for the specific post you're describing? It will create an admin report with a link so we won't be guessing.

Yes, Gen II Bin-O-Facts

Post 1

Oil Filter Info is where I was looking.

The PL14612 Filter now in the (Pending Review and Update due to recent manufacturing change 3/3/16) with a line through it.

Thanks

Send a PM to the thread owner of the particular Bin O Facts(s) (it's the one with the very first post in that thread) you think it should be updated and ask them to consider updating their post. They own that thread.