PR4-GT vs. PR5?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevec677

Reaction score
I need new tires. I've been running the PR4-GT spec for awhile and have been pleased. I have heard the PR5's are not available in GT spec yet. How important is the GT spec? Should I go with the PR4-GT or the PR5 (non-GT)? I don't use a tail box, don't pull a trailer, and ride solo (but I'm north of 200lbs). Thoughts?

I have 7000 km on the Road 5, most of that with fully loaded saddle bags and top case. I'm a little over 200 lbs. So far, I'd say the wear is similar to what the PR4 I had on before was. The 5's feel a little more planted in the corners and they are much quieter. I've had limited wet weather riding on them, so can't really compare that aspect. But after an unusually dry and hot summer the rain has returned to BC, so I'll get a few wet weather miles in the next month.

I need new tires. I've been running the PR4-GT spec for awhile and have been pleased. I have heard the PR5's are not available in GT spec yet. How important is the GT spec? Should I go with the PR4-GT or the PR5 (non-GT)? I don't use a tail box, don't pull a trailer, and ride solo (but I'm north of 200lbs). Thoughts?
I went with the PR4 GTs and will wait for the GT Road 5. If you're not going to ride them hard it seems people are liking the longevity and ride. On the other hand I witnessed someone burn through a set in 3,300 miles. His front tire also developed vibration issues. YMMV

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve the difference between the 4GT and the Road 5 comes down to riding style and how your going to ride the bike. If your not an aggressive rider the 5s will be fine. The front Road 5 can not handle the heavy FJR when ridden aggressively for very many miles. 3300 in my case. The GT case on the PR4 is better suited for the weight of the FJR. Another tire to consider is the T31gt. Have you thought about them?

To answer your question, 'GT spec' refers to a tire with stiffer sidewalls, intended for heavier sport tourers like the FJR.

Lots of folks around here ride -- and ride hard -- on non-GT spec tires. To the best of my knowledge, none have reported shortcomings.

My riding style leans more towards LD, so I prefer the GT spec because it comforts me to think that my tire will stand up to 10 hours of freeway riding at the posted speed limit.
coolsmiley02.gif
Can't tell you that there's anything other than "I believe" going on there, but "I believe" is good enough for me.

And I'd go with the Dunlop RoadSmart 3s and save a bundle. Use your savings for gas and a cheap motel, and come ride the Cherohala Skyway. (My favorite tire EVER was the Bridgestone, as recommended by redneckj.)

There is no downside to running non GT. I prefer the GT because I do distance, I do loaded, and frankly, GT feels and handles better every day. Lasts longer on my bike as well.

There is no downside to running non GT. I prefer the GT because I do distance, I do loaded, and frankly, GT feels and handles better every day. Lasts longer on my bike as well.
Sounds like you just listed three downsides to running the non-GT
smile.png

On my current 2014ES I have gone through two sets of PR4's non-GT and am currently on a set of Road5's with just under 3,000miles on them. PR4's have given me 14,350 miles and 14,185 miles per set. I weigh 145 lbs and ride one up with majority of miles LD. Trips are planned with minimal slab riding and I am not a highly aggressive rider, no jack rabbit starts and no going hot into the sweepers. Engine braking over hard breaking.

I'm amazed when I read riders only get 3-6K miles on PR tires. I suppose some like to ride like it's track day on the highways! No offense intended just my opinion.

I'm amazed when I read riders only get 3-6K miles on PR tires. I suppose some like to ride like it's track day on the highways! No offense intended just my opinion.
While it generally is riding style. There is also a differences regionally in road surfaces. For example Arkansas chip seal is notorious for eating up tires. In Florida we have that smooth black top in most places. With few curves and smooth surfaces even if I rode hard I would not kill a set of PR4s in 3k miles.

Thanks for the replies. I went with the PR-4 GT's. I'm heading out on a 4,000 mile trip and would rather go with a known tire. Next set will be PR5-GT's (hopefully they will be out by then).

Thanks for the replies. I went with the PR-4 GT's. I'm heading out on a 4,000 mile trip and would rather go with a known tire. Next set will be PR5-GT's (hopefully they will be out by then).
Road 5 GT's are about a year away.

i ride hard and very aggressively (often knee down)

also some very long road (600-1000 mile days)

usually solo and moderately loaded.

i'm 210 lbs.

keep the tire pressures right.

I've only run PR's (2,3,4's) and never the GT.

my tire life is in the 12k range.

(once got 700 miles out of a set of P Diablo's but that was a different machine and a different time - knee and elbow down)

just moved the the Road5's and have no opinion yet as no real saddle time yet...

but to the point, non GT's have never let me down and always given me good service life with hard riding.

YMMV

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="lnewlf" data-cid="1405692" data-time="1537206495"><p>

can't speak to mileage but the 5's feel like slicks in the twisties...</p></blockquote>

Agree 100%. I just didn't get many miles at all. Actually the least amount of miles of any tires that I have run.

I'm about to replace my pr5"s, after 10K miles, with another set. The front is about done, the rear still has 1k left. They have a weight rating the same as the PR1, 2, 3 and oem that came with the bike. I'm fine with that. I did 7000 fully loaded with camping gear and luggage on all types of roads, with the exception of dirt, and all types of riding, i.e. sport, freeway mountains, 40 degrees to 113 degrees. These tires never let me down.