Fail

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregory

Great things are afoot
Reaction score
Got a flat on the Africa Twin on the front. Figured it was a great excuse to convince the wife I needed to change out 90/10 stock tires that are only a 1000 miles old with 50 50 Shinkos.

First self tire change. Need to learn to do this if we are going to Alaska next summer Read all I could, watched all the youtube videos, got all the tools, tire balancer, tire weights, talked to people, man I was ready.

Spoon the tire off with my new motion pro badass T-nine billion and 80 aluminum tire tools, not too bad I think, hey, I can really do this. Take the fresh tire outta the sun, nice and pliable. Spoon that bitch on and BAM. can not for the life of me, get the fucking valve stem through the hole. Nope. Nada, not happening. Wish I bought that valve stem fishing tool that there was no way I needed. Called around, not one in town.

Tires are currently at Lee's Honda, where for $40, they will save my ass.

Those $1600 tubeless rims aint looking so bad at the moment.

Fuck me.

Last edited by a moderator:
You got that Super Wonderful Motion Pro two piece bead breaker tire spoon thingummy too? I am so ready to use that thing, I just hope I have a flat on the side of a hill with no shade and nothing to use for a stand and there need to be lots of stinging and biting bugs and maybe even snakes and scorpions to help me as I fight it.

You live and learn.

Tube tires are the spawn of the Devil. Ive informed Annie that if she has a flat on her F800GS while on the road, then she is on her own. It is bad enough doing it at home on a No Mar.

$1,600 is very steep. Have you checked with Woodys in Denver?

Last edited by a moderator:
You just need to be a little smarter than the tube Greg
smile.png

I do so many I guess I'm used to it but I do charge extra for tube types and even more it they have rim locks.

Gregory, it's the 10% rule! :whistle:

You can also move the stem by reaching inside the tire with tube already inside and only 1 bead on the rim. Tough on the knuckles, but can be done!

Passing through Redding tomorrow overnighting Rancho Cordova somewhere.

Pretty easy after you've done it a couple times; not so much when you're "under pressure" on the road.

Fwiw, did Alaska a few years ago with my son, up to Deadhorse, etc., no tire issues at all. BUT, I was ready. Check out adventure cycleworks in Fairbanks, awesome support for adv'ers out there.

Thanks for the advice all, I had reached the level of FUCK IT, so off I went to Lee's

I have not checked out Woodys, but they are on the list. The $1600 set is a purty anodized hub/hoop spoke deal that I saw on FB.

The tube tire was the only drawback to the AT, but tubeless are on the way at some point.

Carver, give ma a holler tomorrow, and maybe we can do some lunch.