Would you take on the project?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graler

Reaction score
Let say hypothetically that you found an FJR in a storage state. It has a clean title so we know the year, VIN . The current holder clearly states he doesn't know whats wrong with it, it has been sitting in that state for a couple of years and it is sold as is. I have seen pictures and there doesn't appear to be any damage from a crash. It is clear from the pics that the tank has been lifted and who ever did the lifting did not bother to put all the plastics back in place but you can see the plastics in the photo. The throttle housing is also open and the throttle cable is disconnected - you can see that clearly. There appears to be some kind of throttle lock installed. The bags are there and everything is very dusty. Would you take on the project if you were able to pick this bike up for a couple thousand? By the way it is an '08 AE version. If it is truly trash. The bags are probably the most valuable component and the seats (at least driver seat for a new build). It has OEM heated grips so that is something else that would sell stand alone.

Thoughts? My goal would be to take it on as a hobby. If I get it running then title it and put it up for sale. After I put some miles on it since it is an AE version and that is something different.

Joe

If your goal is to make money on it I wouldn't bother because prices on FJR's are down and there's no telling what's wrong with it.
If you can figure out what's wrong with it and do the work to fix it then maybe you can make a little money. Sounds like it would be a labor of love for your satisfaction.

I would want to have more to go on. If you just want to tinker and don't care about the dollars fine but I doubt you could turn much of a profit.

I wonder if someone was trying to add cruise control....

Anyway, if I were interested I would verify that the engine turns freely and has compression before thinking about buying it.

How many folks are looking for an AE model. They have a cult following but are a small group. If you want an extra bike to fool around on fine. For resale not so much.

JMO,

Dave

Might be fun to do as long as the final outcome was at least revenue neutral. There would be immense satisfaction to resurrect a dead bike to being fully operational. How many miles on it?

Note: Before trying to turn the engine over, I would put a squirt of oil into each cylinder and then turn it over by hand. Wrench on the timing chain sprocket or by using the rear wheel with the transmission in 5th (if you can shift the AE into 5th).

In pristine condition, that bike is worth MAYBE $3,500.00. And you won't get that price until the Spring, if you are lucky.

Considering that and your intentions, as is it's worth $1,000.00. The owner is going to be insulted, but it's the truth. If he/she wants to give a bike mechanic (likely) $2,000.00 to get it running and safe, then he/she can try to get $3,500.00 out of it. No one in their right mind would take a $2,000.00 risk to make $500.00.

The $2,000.00 figure is important. Bike mechanics make $100.00 an hour. And when you start with nothing, the hours can add up quickly. You can plan on spending 10 of your hours for every 1 hour a competent mechanic will spend. So your labor is only worth $10.00 an hour - minimum wage plus fringe. Since your time is worth whatever you think it is, the risk is hopefully reduced somewhat. But it's still a decent risk.

Now then, having something reasonably familiar to tinker with, going into it with no expectations financially, only wanting to play around with a bike and try to learn something - that's a different story.

So Joe - either change your expectations, offer them what it is REALLY worth, or walk away.

People I know who successfully sell used things for a living or hobby always tell me the same thing. The secret is NOT to get emotionally tied to it. When you look at it, if you don't see dollar bills, walk away....

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I have the day off I am going to have a look. They are asking $1000.00 for the bike - they say that it is a no haggle price. It is sitting at a dealership, there is no emotionally attached owner. That is a warning sign though. It is sitting at a dealership with experienced mechanics on staff. They sell mostly dirt bikes so it is a horse of a different color and it is an AE to boot. I will go and look it over. See if anything jumps out at me, lift the tank if I can.

For $1000, there is no risk. If you get it home and it is a lost cause, parting out the side bags and tank is more than enough to cover the cost. A nuisance for sure, but the parts are worth far more than the total price if things aren't badly rashed.

They always say no haggle. If I'm going in we are going to haggle no matter what or they can keep it. Simple, accept my offer or keep your bike. Knowing what you might get into on repairs or not the cheaper you can buy it the better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with Ross. The original post indicated "... a couple thousand...". At $1,000.00, you can't go wrong.

Also agree with mophead, everything is negotiable. Bring your trailer, your straps, everything you need to take the bike home to the meeting. Bring 10 Benjamins to the meeting. Keep 3 of them in your right pocket. When the time is right, pull the other 7 out and fan them on the table.

I went to take a look. The price is $1000.00 the bags and all of the plastics looked to be in great shape - I would say excellent but it needs a bath to make that call. I got to look at the right side of the bike - All of the pictures were from the left. The Cam Chain cover is off. I lifted the tank the Valve cover is off. There are parts all over the place. No telling if everything is there. No telling if something small fell down a little hole and is now waiting to cause trouble. If you desire to have some replacement plastics, bags, seats, tank this might be the deal for you. Personally I have enough stuff lying about and I don't need to add to it. They seemed very firm on the price but I might have softened them up for you. I did not tell a very promising tale, it is going to take a special buyer. The bike is at Killeen Power Sports. Here is a link to a craigslist ad:

Joe - Packing the bike up to get on the road to Alabama in the morning.

Sounds like a diagnostic teardown and the owner said, "Never mind, keep it." Cam chain cover and valve cover off makes me wonder about cam chain tensioner problems, in which case salvaging the bags, seats, grips, etc. might get you even. On the other hand, cam chain cover is how you expose the crankshaft bolt. Might not have thought about it while there, but did you turn the motor over? Did you check camshaft timing marks?

thinking the engine may have blown........if it was just piecing back together they have mechs who could have it out the door the next day.

I agree with Don, walk away. If a DEALER won't tackle it it's not worth it. They are usually always going to make the quick money and if they can't that's a red flag. My guess something went terribly wrong internally and they don't want to discuss it. One thing you could do is manually turn over the motor to maybe give an indication if something is wrong not guaranteed though by just slowly turning it with a wrench.

I guess in one way you can't loose you have well over $1k in parts to part it out IF you want to deal with that and if you think there is a market for the parts. Some risk there. Mucho risk in getting it running. Or could be a killer deal! It's kind of like choosing Door #2 behind Carol Merrill.

I agree with Don, walk away. If a DEALER won't tackle it it's not worth it. They are usually always going to make the quick money and if they can't that's a red flag. My guess something went terribly wrong internally and they don't want to discuss it. One thing you could do is manually turn over the motor to maybe give an indication if something is wrong not guaranteed though by just slowly turning it with a wrench.
I guess in one way you can't loose you have well over $1k in parts to part it out IF you want to deal with that and if you think there is a market for the parts. Some risk there. Mucho risk in getting it running. Or could be a killer deal! It's kind of like choosing Door #2 behind Carol Merrill.
No doors have been chosen. I have plenty of other things that require time and money.