Shift__37 error code 08 AE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyahouse

newbs need the forum
Reaction score
On my way home from EOM, riding west bound on I-40 near Gallop, New Mexico. The Sh__37 error code has popped up along with the amber light. I am currently running in 5th gear and have no way to shift gears and fear that if I come to a stop the motor will stall, and once stalled, it WILL NOT start again. I had magic maker read me the code in the book and it needs to be cleared before I can get going again. I am planning to make it to Flagstaff, Arizona and try to fix it there.

Any info on Sh__37 error code would be appreciated.

Writing this for Brodie per his dictation over the phone as he rides.

Gary

Last edited by a moderator:
The eagle has landed. Brodie made it to Flagstaff. There was no clutch as well as no ability to shift gears as expected. He shut down the motorcycle in a Motel 6 parking lot, but out of curiosity, he turned it back on. The sh__37 code went away. It looks like whatever got wet... got dry on the way to Flagstaff Arizona. Looks like maybe he can finish his ride.

Gary

Let's hope he can continue, but the problem may be more permanent. The manual says the code will disappear when cycling the ignition. It's only when he tries to start and/or change gear that it may re-occur.

1_Sh__37.jpg

I'm pretty sure that was the same error code I got when my clutch started going bad on my AE. It's been a few years now so please forgive my lack of specific memory. But the bottom line is, the clutch started slipping in the higher gears first, obviously. Gradually over a period of a few weeks the problem became worse and worse. Each time I would have to pull over, try to roll out slowly and let the engine clunk to a stop. Once you cycle the ignition the error code clears, all returns to "normal" and you can shift again.

As mactrophy said, this is likely a permanent problem and will require a new clutch. But, if Brodie will just be easy on the throttle and not gas it, especially in the higher gears, he should be able to make it home without too much more trouble, then address the problem when he gets home.

Gentlemen

Thank you for the responses, I appreciate all the information offered.

At this time I am going on the thought that one of the connectors within the AE circuitry got wet enough that it triggered the computer into a fault mode. It probably lasted a fraction of a second, and may have been fixed with just a restart/reboot, but there was no way that I was going to do that without a plan. I just went for a 5th gear 180 mile ride - NON STOP. During this ride I called my Forum friends Victor (MagicMaker), and Gary (garyahouse) to gain information on the beast and to formulate my plan.

Gary found a post on the Forum from 2009 concerning SH_ _37. A new member at the time said he had just washed his AE and it had this SH_ _37 and would not start. Two days later he noted that the error code went away, and the bike started without issue. Its been four years since I serviced all the connectors on my bike with ACF50, and since I had just driven through several frog stranglers, and this was a sudden onset situation, I think its time to go back and do another service. This time I will clean all connectors with contact cleaner and use what I know will last - Permatex Silicon Dielectric Tune-Up Grease. I think the ACF50 just washed out.

I dont expect to see any more heavy rains before Saturday so I should make it home ok.

Thanks again gentlemen, this FJRForum rocks!

Brodie

👍

Last edited by a moderator: