YIPPEE! Big Money Rally for 2019

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Hud

Just another blob of protoplasm using up your oxyg
Reaction score
The BMR is a nationwide event, with bonus locations scattered across the USA and (usually) a few in Mexico and Canada. The BMR uses 21st-century technology, making it easy for riders to claim bonus points and have them judged quickly. Real-time standings are always available on line.

Daily bonuses can be found nearby, so you don’t have to ride big miles unless you want to. For some riders, the BMR is an extremely competitive event. For others, it’s simply a great excuse to get out and ride. For everybody, it’s a really good time!

If you haven’t participated before, there are four basic rules:
1. Ride your motorcycle to the bonus location.
2. Use the BMR app to take a photo that includes the bonus, your BMR placard, and part of your bike.
3. Fill the frame with the bonus object.
4. Email the photo from the bonus location.

Your entry will typically be judged in 10 minutes, allowing you to ensure you’ve gotten the points before riding to the next bonus.

BMR 2019 will be different.

• Start date isn’t January 1. BMR 2019 starts on 2 / 22 at 02:22:22, making it more hospitable to those that live in North American tundra.
• Banquet will be June 14, after the finish, and be a part of the 2019 Iron Butt Rally festivities.
• BMR apps will be updated, and their cost is included with BMR 2019 entry fee. Very easy to claim a bonus and make sure it was accepted.

BMR 2019 will be the same.
• The 3-day rally (3DR) introduced last year will be back. Since each 3DR is a mini-rally, they’re a great way to tune up for other touring rallies.
• The “one-hour only” bonus locations return for yet another year. These bonii are worth big points, and you get to meet other BMR participants if you hang around for 20 or 30 minutes. (Kurt Worden’s developing the locations this year.)
• The nature of this rally puts you on the full spectrum of roads; interstates to tiny country roads without paint stripes. It’s led me on fun roads to cool places, from West Virginia to Florida to California.

Ummmm, no website yet, just a newsletter to previous entrants.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hooray! The 2018 BMR Rally was my first rally ever. It was a lot of fun. I was able to pick and choose where and when I went, on my own time, and got me out on the bike on days that I wouldn't have ridden otherwise.

Living in Arizona, the new start and end dates are a bummer but I'm excited about my 2nd chance in the rally!

A little birdie told me that the updated BMR app is available. Check your phone's online store.

BMR Welcome Page

RBEmerson posted: That's so exciting about Base Metabolic Rate? ;p
Glad we could provide you with some entertainment. Did you register yet? That's where the real entertainment comes in.

Bonus list has been released.

Gotta say, I'm a bit disappointed in two themes: bonii that must be collected on Thursdays (one theme) or on Mondays (a second theme). Kinda limits those of us who are included in the US employment statistics.

I suppose that just means I'm gonna hafta hustle up on Words of the Day and Words of the Hour.

I'm registered but unfortunately won't be able to start right out of the gate for the start as I'm headed to Iceland to see the Northern Lights (no moto this time... too fricking cold!!) but I'll look forward to jumping in when I get back. :D

I'm starting a new rally for Candy Butt Association members.
It's called the Little Peso Rally!
whistle.gif
Would the bonus locations for the Little Peso Rally be any bar, restaurant and motorcycle dealership?

Tyler posted: I'm registered but unfortunately won't be able to start right out of the gate for the start as I'm headed to Iceland to see the Northern Lights (no moto this time... too fricking cold!!) but I'll look forward to jumping in when I get back.
biggrin.png
<Jealousy strikes deep in my heart.>

Tyler posted: I'm registered but unfortunately won't be able to start right out of the gate for the start as I'm headed to Iceland to see the Northern Lights (no moto this time... too fricking cold!!) but I'll look forward to jumping in when I get back.
biggrin.png
<Jealousy strikes deep in my heart.>
Been a bucket list item for a while now and the details fell into place and I couldn't say no... ;)

Well, well, well! A whole bunch of bonus themes hit the street yesterday. Lots of County-based bonii scattered across the country that have me staring at my computer, placing digital pins in a digital map.

Whew! Was worried I'd not be a finisher this year!

An email arrived in my inbox this afternoon. Apparently, Griff's been brown nosing somebody really hard ...

33336863968_c60c8ce5e4_z.jpg

One of the MANY great bonus submission efforts we saw in the initial days. This one by BMR veteran #613 Griff. This is textbook style BMR bonus submission. Nice job Griff ... and ditto to the many others who continually make great efforts at the bonus locations.

Wish I could've gotten more time for this rally... been dealing with parental unit health issues, getting their house ready to sell (it was a mess), and moving them to a senior living community in Sparks, NV... all of my free weekends have been spent on that and it's still not done... get some points for me, Hud! ;)