Heading to Groton, Ma

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingshot

Reaction score
The wife's job has us moving to Boston area for a year plus. We just signed a lease on a house outside Groton, Ma. Its near a commuter line that gets wife directly to her job location.

Unfortunately/fortunately, the company is shipping the FJR out, but they won't ship out food. Thus, family is driving and pulling a trailer with our food in it. We arrive first week of November.

A couple of quick questions:

Any local (meaning within 4 hours of Groton) tech days or gatherings?

Any areas I should pay attention to for quick rides?

Lastly, anyone in the vicinity like to get out occasionally please let me know. FWIW, I'm the stay at home parent so riding time is limited, but quick mid day trips can be accomplished once daughter is in school.

Your about an hour away from me and close to some folks in southern NH. There aren't many tech days in this area that I know of. That doesn't mean we can't start them. I have a 2008 FJR in desparate need of a tech day. About getting out and riding. I have this thing that's called work that seems to prohibit me from doing much of it.

Welcome to MA, you will soon find the meaning of Massholes.

Good luck,

Dave

I lived in Groton, CT for a short period, just be ready for some really cold temps at times. At least it doesn't get socked in with drizzly rain for months at a time.

I hope you have heated gear. Outside of the main metro areas, it's pretty rural. It does't take long to go through 3 states in an afternoon.

Good Luck out there.
smile.png

Another FYI, you are in the snow belt of all winter storms.

cold.gif
cold.gif
cold.gif

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
You have quite the ride for a Reuben now Brian. Good luck with the move .

I was born and raised and learned to drive in the Bay State. I don't know how I survived driving there as a new driver.

I don't live there anymore.

All drivers seem to have one mission in mind. To kill you.

Drive carefully.

I grew up in Mass also, a mile no. of Foxboro stadium. I moved to NY for the job and to a lesser extent, the 4 speeding tix I had in the previous year. I'm glad I don't live there anymore.

Welcome to the land of "North and West of 495!" You'll hear that a lot when you listen to local snow storm forecasts as getting hit the hardest...

We're about five minutes from the Groton town line.

We'll check with the others about scheduling your NERDS initiation ceremony.

Apologies to the PNW crew for not getting to the tech day, but know you all have been a big part of my life for the past 11 years.

Life happens. Hopefully, I will make it to a tech day upon our return.

Will look you up GinaMcD when we get settled in. Pm me for address and contact info.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm right down just over the RI line. Be sure to check the Ride to the Rock the Saturday after thanksgiving.

George

There are some really nice places to ride just north in Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont.

It is not like out west where the states are large. Here you can ride all 3 of them easily as day trips from Groton.

From where I live in Maine it is about 2 hours to Boston and about 2 hours across NH into Vt.

Watch out for 495. Lots of nasty potholes and stupid cage drivers.

495 isn't that bad nowadays. Lowell connector southbound anyway. I don't go any further than that. Continuing out to Haverhill might suck, I wouldn't know. Stay in the left lane doing 90+ and you will be all set.

Dave

Will be fairly busy for most of November getting everything unpacked and set up at the new place. Thus, likley not much riding going to happen, but one never knows weather permitting a ride might occur. Fact, since my daughter was born I have ridden less that 6k in the last four years. Prior to wife and daughter, I averaged 15K a year. A 600 mile a day is easy peasy, just not sure how traffic and population will affect ability to get the mileage covered.