Hurricane Michael, a personal view...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfooshee

O, Woe is me!!
Reaction score
Well, I got through the hurricane, but not without issue. I packed up my dog and three cats and rode it out at my office, which was a Good Thing. One corner of my roof is gone, the house is open to weather, carpets soaked, drywall wet, and in the garage, laundry room, master BR, and the HVAC closet the ceilings fell in. I had clean laundry hanging, now buried under wet drywall and loose fiberglass, as is my bed and the furniture in there. The BR closets look OK, but I haven't managed to get far enough into the room to evaluate the drawers and contents. LR is OK except for wet carpet, it looks like.

Neighbor helped me tarp the house. OK, he did it. I got up and started with him, but a couple of twinges from my back told me to not be up there any more.

Verizon is down, no word on restoration of service. No ISPs are working in the county. Panama City, Lynn Haven, and towns east have no utilities at all. Mexico Beach was apparently washed off the highway. Tyndall AFB is all but destroyed. The eye passed between Tyndall AFB and Mexico Beach.

I saw winds due north, fading to NW as the storm passed, so I knew I was on the "good" side of the eye. A tree fell on the office but the building held it. Roof damage, some water seepage, but no real structural issue.

Like I said, Verizon is down, so I have no communications. A customer's office that I have 24/7 access to has a working landline I've been using to call my girlfriend in Orlando every day.

I'm still camped at the office. Panama City Beach and the western half of the county is almost back to normal. Big stores are open, gas is available with long waits. Almost no restaurants open, a couple of fast foods with limited menus. I drove over to Destin to sit in a fast food place and use their wifi to get registered with FEMA, caught up with my employer, etc. I had trouble calling my homeower's company, and my girlfriend took all my policy info during one of our calls and got it done! Adjuster was at the house yesterday. He recommended getting a drying contractor ASAP, but realized the difficulty there, with power not expected for another 10 days or so.

So, no running water, no electricity, no power, no Internet. Gas works, so I shut off the pilot light on the water heater.

I have no idea how to handle the cleanup in the house. I am not equipped to handle loose, wet fiberglass insulation, and that has to come out before I can start evaluating anything else, or ripping carpet up, whatever. I also have a BIG inventory job to do with the garage, for all my tools, power tools, and all, find out what survived, what didn't. Inside furnishings are OK, it looks like, except the master BR, except where stuff soaked up from the wet carpet. My sofa, for example, is upholstery all the way to the floor,

No clue what to do with stuff. There is no storage around here that survived. Maybe a container in the driveway or something, but the house has to be cleared so it can be fixed, rebuilt, whatever. It's all just a bit overwhelming.

Miata and FJR were in the garage. Miata probably has paint damage from the wet drywall that fell on it, but its top held up! No bent bars, no pierced fabric! FJR was very hard to start, I was fearing toasted electronics. It cranked, I smelled fuel, but no fire at all. Waited a while, tried WOT cranking, no change. Waited a while, got some coughing but nothing else. Eventually it fired up and smoked like a mo-fo for a minute, but ran OK. My other car, the Aurora, was outside at the office. All the glass is intact, but it has five big dents on the windward side. It's old enough that Progressive might just total it if I claim it. I'm pretty sure they're going to have to paint the Miata, though.

This was a mother of a storm. I didn't leave because the forecast on the day before was cat 3, maybe even back down to 2 by landfall. It ended up being 2mph short of a cat 5! Center pressure was 918, I believe the first ever recorded under 920. It came fast and it cam hard, much harder than anybody thought. I've ridden out several 3s, but never again.

My Internet presence will be very spotty for quite a while. There is no Internet in town except for AT&T customers. There is no cell service in town except for AT&T customers. Verizon is putting up trailer-towers as fast as they can, apparently, but I haven't seen anything to show that... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yikes! Can't say anything useful except good luck. Glad at least you didn't mention any harm to you and yours.

I'll stop complaining about the hot summer weather here, at least. For a while.

Gotta agree with Mike. Sure glad to hear you're OK and able to start forward. I won't complain about the 17 degrees this morning and fire season is almost gone so baring a volcano I should be good. Take care of yourself and hopefully the rest of the storms miss you

Dang, Walter... I'm so sorry for all the damage and following issues to get it fixed up but very glad that you came out relatively unscathed... hope that the clean up and rebuild will go quickly and smoothly...

Prayers for you and my sympathy, A horrible event. Hang in there and glad you and the pets got through ok. Take care.

Walter, I am so sorry you are in this situation. I had heard it was very bad. Sounds like you need to hire a contractor ASAP and just do the small stuff while they handle the big stuff. I saw this many times over with the Great Flood of 2016. Not everyone is physically capable or has the skill set to rebuild a house.

I have been in your situation. In 2009 Hurricane Gustav put a large oak tree through my Castle on Wheels. I became a Homeless Person. Of course we have a lot of family and we never had to worry about a place to stay. We also went without power for quite a while.

In the end Mrs. Redfish has a nice house (no more Castle on Wheels!) and our life goes on.

Stay Strong.

Most important you need to get all that wet stuff cleaned up and out of the house. Even if it means dumping it in the front yard for now. A generator would help just to run some fans and circulate the air throughout the house and dry things out. Wouldn't have to be a real big one. Don't know what to say other than that. This is when you find out how good your insurance company is.

Best of luck,

Dave

Good Luck Walter - I have friends in Panama City Beach that are in equally bad or worse shape. Lots of trees in their two houses.

Damn, you are having a rough row to hoe. Regarding storage.. Possible to rent a SeaTrain or two and have it trucked in? Durable, waterproof and relatively cheap. Good luck mi amigo. So happy you are a) Safe and B) have a good woman watching your back and helping you. Peace, brother.

Keep us posted on any real estate deals. Glad you came through in decent shape, but that storm was unbelievably strong. A few miles farther west and Panama City would have been toast. If there is a next time, get the fuck out.

DAMN! Glad you are ok. Bummer on all the damage and work to be done, I hope insurance makes you whole again, and quickly. Stay safe out there!

Damn, you are having a rough row to hoe. Regarding storage.. Possible to rent a SeaTrain or two and have it trucked in? Durable, waterproof and relatively cheap. Good luck mi amigo. So happy you are a) Safe and
cool.png
have a good woman watching your back and helping you. Peace, brother.
+1

Nothing I can really say that hasn't already been said. It's so easy for all of us to get caught up in our own lives and think we have problems when in reality there are far worse things going on to other people. Glad you made it through and hope for smooth sailing with the insurance company. Best of luck to you.

I've got experience with this, both from the insurance perspective and the damage perspective.

The first step is grieving. You have got to let yourself hurt for what has happened.

The next step is acceptance. You have got to accept that fact that this has happened. It's going to be better, but this is a marathon, not a sprint. For a while, things will be unsettled, but you and your pets (and hopefully your loved ones) are not hurt and everything else is just stuff.

Now on to the logistics of the insurance:

1. Take photographs of EVERYTHING. Do it systematically - one room at a time, one side of the exterior of the house at a time. Take multiple angles of the same thing that is damaged.

2. Get a friend (at the risk of being non-PC, a FEMALE friend) with good handwriting skills, and a notebook. Every single item that you are pitching (has damage), dictate to your friend: Name of item, room it was located, damage to item, approx. age of item, original cost of item, WAG for replacement cost of item. She/he will form a table for you.

3. Make sure you have a photograph(s), then pitch it in your yard at the front street.

4. Do the same for building materials - "10 feet x 10 feet of carpet, living room, near kitchen"

Steps 1-4 cannot be understated - this will make a HUGE difference in your settlement from your insurance with respect to your contents.

5. Talk to your adjuster about:

- If you don't already have it (and still have an undamaged copy), get a copy of your entire policy terms, conditions, and declarations. Read it three times forward and backward. Anything you don't understand, ask the adjuster to explain. Don't be surprised if he/she can't explain it - if so, ask him/her to get you an underwriter's opinion. Trust me - that little exercise will likely be worth thousands to you.

- do you need an architect or engineer to render the house structurally safe? They pay for that.

- contractors they have on retainer that have been vetted, are licensed and bonded and insured, and are under obligation to work for their customers (you)

- Temporary housing while your house is being repaired (they pay for that), including per diem for meals and other incidentals.

- renting a POD or other storage to hold your salvageable stuff while you are rebuilding.

6. File your FEMA claim and make sure your FEMA adjuster is in direct contact with your insurance adjuster.

7. keep receipts/invoices/estimates/etc for EVERYTHING you buy. Down to this morning's donuts. FEMA is going to pay for some of that stuff.

You are entitled to do any of the work yourself as long as the work you do meets building and municipal codes. I'm saying this because you very likely have a strong wind storm deductible on your homeowners policy. Maybe 2-5%, which means if your house is worth $300,000.00, your deductible might be $6K - $15K. You can certainly offset that by doing some of the work yourself. The insurance company would cut you a check for what they believe are contractor prices, and you use that to buy materials for work you do your self, hopefully saving yourself money. There is NOTHING illegal or immoral about doing that. The chance you take here is 2 fold:

a. getting a supplemental claim settled for hidden or unforeseen damage is VERY difficult.
b. For matters or warranty and workmanship in which some work is contracted and some is not, this can be a bitch. Too many cooks in the kitchen and it will always be somebody else's fault. If you hire one general contractor to do everything, that comes with a cost, but at least if something goes wrong, you only have to look in one direction.

8. Even if your insurance or FEMA pics the contractor, when he/she arrives for the first time with tools, INSIST that they present you with a copy of their Certificate of Insurance and Contractors License that is applicable and current for Florida. You want to see no less than $1 million per occurrence commercial general liability insurance, $1 million claims made coverage for auto liability (any auto), and workman compensation insurance in accordance with Florida statue. There are some (VERY FEW) possible exceptions to this, and I can help you work that out if need be.

9. YOu need to buy a moisture meter. One like this:

https://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-MMD4E-Moisture-Digital/dp/B00275F5O2/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1539777954&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=moisture+meter&psc=1

All structural wood in the house has to read no more than 10%, and hold that over a 48 hour period or you will end up with a mold problem behind your new walls. Seriously - do NOT take this lightly. Your insurance policy has a mold exclusion in it. If the work is done shitty, the next re-build will be on you.

This ought to get you a couple weeks into the future.

One more thing - the speculators are going to show - offer to buy your house as is. Cash on the spot. IGNORE THEM!!!!! You bought and paid for insurance. You are a US citizen and under an area with a Presidential Declaration (FEMA declared). You are entitled to your benefits and once your house is fixed, and you have gotten whatever you have coming to you, by THEN you will be mentally ready to think about where you will go from there.

I'll check in to this thread.

I'm available to help you in anything - PM me if interested.

Head up, man. You're gonna be OK.

Cheer up! The FJR runs! And we all know that riding an FJR makes all your problems disappear.

Kidding aside, listen to what others have said whom have been through it. Defer to experience. And pray your insurance company does what they all profess in their commercials. Good luck.

(Wow, I've never met Pants, but I knew I liked him. I just never knew he was so SMART.)

I'm glad to hear you made through ok. My Grandfather always said " No point crying over something that won't cry over you" . Items and belongings can be replaced. The main thing right now is YOU. Take care.

(Wow, I've never met Pants, but I knew I liked him. I just never knew he was so SMART.)
He really isn't. When he drinks too much tequila he starts making up fascinating stories and if he keeps his punctuation and grammar under control he can usually fool even smart folks.

Seriously, my friend has experience, lots of experience with this kind of thing. I know how to rebuild one house at a time, he knows how to rebuild entire communities.

So very sorry to hear about the damage and difficulties, Walter. By sharing, you've started to move ahead. Pants has offered GREAT advice. This is his wheelhouse, after all. And although I feel useless for not being able to provide a helping hand directly, you've really put a human face on this disaster (even though we've never met). Let us know which charitable donations would be most beneficial: Red Cross? Others? I'm sure many of us will help in whatever way we can.

All the best, and stay strong.