New windshield - size correct?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaitsdad

I'm confused - Just ask my Wife.
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I currently use a +2 tall windshield from a local (to me) manufacturer of windshields. Due to the fact that I'm taking my SO on a 4 day ride, I ordered a +4 +4 with reverse flip - and it arrived yesterday.

I instantly noticed that it was the same width as the +2 tall windshield, and the same base width as the stock shield.

I called them up yesterday, left a message for the production manager to call me - and I had to call back this morning after no response. I was told "you have to understand how we measure these windshields"

So - here are some pictures. Perhaps someone with a +4 +4 reverse flip shield can verify my suspicions?

Here is my +2 on the bike:

133238162-L.jpg

Here I've taped the edges to easily show the width:

133238108-L.jpg

And here is the brandy new supposed to be +4 +4 held up against the known +2 :

133238122-L.jpg

Right edge:

133238139-L.jpg

Left edge:

133238147-L.jpg

So - what do you all think? Am I getting another 4 inches in width here? I was told by the production control manager that he shipped a +4 +4 - any ideas?

I measured across the face with the wife's fabric tape measure - and they're within 1 inch of each other.

TIA for your comments.

You shouldn't be getting an extra 4 inches in the first place, only an additional 2, right? A +2+2 is 2" more in width and 2" more in height, right? Thus a +4+4 would only be 2" bigger than a +2, or am I off base?

If that's the case, and they have some type of funky around the shield rather than straight across measuring, with say 3/4" on each side the way you measure it could well be an additional 1" per side the way they measure it, thus an additional 2".

Or, maybe the guy who makes the shields used to be in lumber from way back when and is the same guy who decided a 2x4 should actually only be 1.5" x 3.5"....

Last edited by a moderator:
So are you saying that the +2 tall shield is the same manufacturer as the new +4 flip shield or different? Take a look at Cee Baileys web site and see how they measure the shields as compared to stock.

I would guess different manufacturers might measure the widths differently...?

I can measure my new +4,+3 CB if you like.

--G

Last edited by a moderator: