New Cam Chain Tensioner - how to release spring

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
New CCT going in KrZy8. From factory, plunger retracted and 'locked' in place with appears to be a metal tab.

How to release the tensioner after installed? Does the tap twist out?

TIA

Trying to remember from 2 years ago but I think that is correct. Either twisted or just pulled out.

Don,

Theres a little piece of metal as a key jammed into the screwdriver slots of the new one. Just grab the key and pull straight out to release.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don,Theres a little piece of metal as a key jammed into the screwdriver slots of the new one. Just grab the key and pull straight out to release.
Yes, but release the plunger before you install. The plunger can then be manually retracted and locked by turning the screw clockwise and released after installing with a slight turn counter clockwise....at least this is the way a GEN 1 works (but not the later and improved designs....see following comments).
OR

Pull the tab after installing if it is easier to do then using a small screw driver to release the plunger.

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed that too. There used to be a little catch you could hook it in when fully retracted in full CCW position, but that seems to have been removed, either intentionally or not, that means you need to leave the key in until after install.

I replaced mine 'just because'. Tx for the info on key removal! Yes, it pulls straight out. The old CCT must be the new style as the plunger failed to lock in place with CW rotation. I could feel it 'skip' then the plunger fully extends.

I replaced mine 'just because'. Tx for the info on key removal! Yes, it pulls straight out. The old CCT must be the new style as the plunger failed to lock in place with CW rotation. I could feel it 'skip' then the plunger fully extends.
The old CCT has any dot on?Blue or green?The newer version CCT should have a blue or green dot on.But when i did the CCT recall the newer version it had the metal key on but did not have any dot on and was the updated version..