what is the highest mph speeding ticket you have had on a motorcycle?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaiderBill

Reaction score
Just got back from Kansas City and found myself riding a bit quicker that i should have been. Was in lower 40's and the fj really felt like it had some extra go in that temp. I got rid of my zx14 because i really was riding way too fast and now i am finding I am still riding fast maybe 10 or 20mph slower on the fj but still in triple digits. I was wondering what are some stories of getting really ugly tickets whether on the fjr or another bike?

Wow, I would imagine the judge might even take your bike with that one. I do remember family trips though across Wyoming when the speed limit was 55. You could count the white lines they came so slow. Now its 80mph in Wyoming. How times change.

Got many in a car. 110 in 45 longgg time ago just shifting into 4th. Pulled over one time on bike not going that much over. He gave me a warning this is the best part told me I was the first rider all year that had A--license, registration, insurance and bike was inspected. I suspect he just wanted to write a ticket for any of the other things.

90 MPH in a 55 zone in 1983 in Wyoming. Got pulled by the Sheriff of the county but did not get a ticket. The guy was easily 75 years old and seemed to just want to talk about our motorsickels. Kept my riding buddy and me chatting on the side of the road for well over an hour. I figure he thought the appropriate punishment for being in a hurry is lost time.

I was checking the main jets on my Suzuki GT380 after having the cylinders ported. Wide open throttle for a minute, hit the kill switch, pull over to the side of the road and start pulling plugs. I was on SR520, a main commuter route right off the East end of the 520 floating bridge, about 4pm on a weekday.

I had completed a plug check but decided it wasn't definitive enough. Fired her up, looked back and only saw one yellow car coming, so I took off spewing gravel and pinned it. Tucked and began maneuvering around slower vehicles at 110+mph. Chopped the throttle, hit the shoulder and had 1 plug out when I heard "What in the f@#k do you think you're doing?" The yellow car was inhabited by a police lieutenant and he was standing behind me with his hand on his pistol. Cars were honking as they went by to express their pleasure in my apprehension.

He made me get in his car. "I've got you at 120 mph" says he. I said "That's impossible, this thing won't do 120". "How fast will it go?". "About 115" I said.

"CLOSE ENOUGH!"

He asked what I was doing. I explained the procedure for checking main jet size to him, hell, #1 plug was lying next to the bike. He shook his head and said he figured nobody could make that shit up. Then he read me the riot act, told me all the tickets he could write and could impound my bike. He had this 20 year old shaking.

Then he let me go.

Don't remember his name, but I tip my hat to that guy for understanding youthful exuberance every time I think of this incident.

BTW, the port job turned a nice, broad powerband into a peaky top end bitch.

Last edited by a moderator:
112 in a 70. Ended up getting a rural jurisdiction ticket for 75 in a 70 for 67.00. Gotta love going fast in Nevada.

With your love of speed you need to live close to Nevada.

65 in a 55. Actually he (CHP) was stationary and popped me at 83 as I rounded a downhill corner into a short flat valley. After a long conversation about bikes, he rode until a deer strike etc. I asked him if he would let me off with a stern verbal lashing about speeding. He reminded me I was doing 83.

I gladly took the 65 in a 55. Cool cop.

140 in a 35 zone. But it was KPH, not MPH.
smile.png

Quite a few years back in PA before the switch to 65 mph speed limits was my worst one. It was actually within a week or 2 of the switch I was on my FJ1100 and had taken a quick ride up to the Harley dealership I worked for to pick up something for my Buell. Coming home I was southbound on I-83 passing some slower traffic a bit more enthusiastically than was probably appropriate right as I came under an overpass I saw the State trooper on the side of the road with radar rig. I was at least 85 in a 55 zone and knew I was had. I pulled over at the next available decent shoulder and had my helmet off before he even pulled in. Younger cop he was real decent the whole time. Told me he appreciated how I had pulled over right away and removed my helmet. Asked how fast I was going and i simply asked how fast he thought I was going. Told me he had me on radar at 78 in a 55. I sort of smiled and replied I'd already left off the throttle and was slowing down by that point.

He smiled and said in light of the fact I didn't run or try to give him some line of BS he'd cut me some slack. Ticketed me for "failure to obey traffic control devices" which in PA meant no points on my license. I thanked him for his understanding and promised to slow down for the rest of my ride.

Buddy and I were pulled over for 93 in a 70 on I-59 heading south after a long weekend in Deal's Gap. Back then, we slabbed it the whole way there and back to save time. Alabama State trooper checked out our paperwork and let us go. 10 minutes later, I tucked in 1/4 mile behind a bird dog in a Mercedes and we ran a half tank in the upper 90s. (dumb ass Pants)

I was stopped for 68-ish in a 55 on a State highway in a known speed trap area. Officer was a rider and we talked bikes a while. He checked my paperwork out and came back with:

(Popo) "Now listen here. If I let you go with a warning, could you please keep it to 55 mph at least until you get to that Parish line?"

(Pants) "Yes sir, I can"

(Popo) "If you get pulled over again in this Parish, and the LEO sees that I've run your record and did not give you a ticket, that's gonna put me in trouble. Understand?"

(Pants) "I can assure you have nothing to worry about, sir."

After all, by my routing, the Parish line was only a couple miles away.
punk.gif

Last year, on the way home from YFO, I was ticketed for 88 or 89 in a 75 - I have no doubt those numbers were accurate. I paid the extra extorsion and kept it off my record.

I could go on and on.....

I'm not proud of it, mind you. But a lead foot and heavy wrist wants what it wants....

Missed out on my first bike ticket on Sunday. Coming home from Brother's in the dark. A lot of frustrating traffic (slow moving, all lanes chockablock, thank goodness for filtering) but I was now out of it. Went through several miles of 60 mph limit with average speed cameras (that is so frustrating, this stretch of road used to be 70, then a few years ago they put the speed limit on and these cameras). Kept to the 60 (GPS) like the good boy that I am.

Got out of the camera area into a 70 limit, there was little traffic, I started to get exuberant. Suddenly noticed a car on my tail. Unusually, I didn't know where he came from. He was closer than I was comfortable with, but didn't seem to want to overtake. A little way ahead was a slower car in the nearside line, I was in the outside lane ready to overtake it, but I pulled into the nearside line and slowed a little, expecting the car behind to go by me, but he didn't. He also slowed, remaining the same distance behind, but still in the outside lane.

My suspicions were aroused. I braked hard to stay behind the car in front, the car behind gave up and went by us both. In the gloom I could just make out a light bar over his roof, but otherwise he was in mufti, none of the usual high-vis paintwork our police cars have.

Not sure how fast I was going - definitely well over the 70 limit) - it wouldn't have been a small fine, nor just the minimum points on my license. Stayed legal for the rest of the journey home. Well, mostly.

This is the second near-ticket from a policeman in a car. The first was nearly 60 years ago. Me on my Tiger Cub, going home. We lived in some suburbs, lots of minor twisty roads, lots of corners, all 30 limit. Arrived outside our house. I'd just taken off my helmet and a police car comes up and stops.

Big burly policeman comes up to me: "Do you know how fast you were going?"

Young teenage me: "No, sir" (quite truthfully, no time to look at speedometers when negotiating these roads at speed).

BBP: "We couldn't keep up with you".

YTM: "Mumble, mumble" (couldn't think of anything to say).

Then some sort of conversation about license and insurance, though I never showed them.

Finally

BBP: "Well, just watch it".

In retrospect he couldn't ticket me, the law then was that he would have to follow me for a quarter of a mile at speed. Not possible in the circumstances.

So, (touching wood), so far I've got away with it, though I'm sure the FJR is conspiring to get me one.

What's the issue with admitting it on a public forum. I've divulged numerous times that I have what remains of Jimmy Hoffa in my basement.