2006 Speedo innacurate?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbcollins

Reaction score
Once I started riding with a GPS, I noticed there was a big discrepency between by MPH on the GPS and the FJR speedo. I tested it in 2 of my cars and the GPS is dead-on accurate when cruising down the highway at a fixed speed. However, same conditions on the FJR yield a 3-4 MPH difference (GPS says I'm going slower than the FJR speedo).

Anyone else experienced this?

If so, any suggestions for resolution other than "just go 4MPH faster than the speedo says"?

Or here.

Gen I bikes tend to be about around 1.6% high in the speedometer...especially at cruising speeds. I've ridden in many rallies and various Iron Butt rides and calibration (at least for the odometer) is standard procedure. Gen II bikes seem to be a bit higher at perhaps 5.5%. I'd suggest you develop a percentage compared to your GPS experience in a straight line or the Sigma Farkle is a popular one. Some others consider the Speedohealer.

Last edited by a moderator:
If so, any suggestions for resolution other than "just go 4MPH faster than the speedo says"?
I have about a 2% error so I just use my GPS for speed indication. It seems to be more accurate.

Mine is about 5% optimistic. The error is somewhat temperature dependant. I installed a Speedo Healer and now the speedo pretty well matches the GPS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definately not alone Mate! Our 06 reads 4% high at 100Kph and it has been proven by GPS & against a speed match with a car.

Thanks for the prompt/courteous replies! I did a few searches before posting the question but obviously didn't use the correct terms to find the answer.