FU*K FIRE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tough fire season this year Gregory, I'd gladly send some PNW rain south if I could. Terrible there's another one to deal with...

~G

Hoping they can knock it down ASAP.

It's still super dry around here and the forest folks have started the designated burns. They also opened outside burning for homeowners. I've got idiots all around me lighting burn piles and thinking they can stop it with a garden hose if it gets away. I don't burn until there is snow on the ground.

Hoping it soon stops for you guys. I hadn't heard about this one until now. Wishing we could send all of you some of the rain we've been having. Stay safe.

Paradise is lost, so sad. Really hoping that the loss of life is as close to 0 as it can be. Reports this morning is that the fire is getting close to the East side of Chico.

They got a nasty fire down South too.

This shit has got to stop.

Ray, I hope them idiots around you have really big garden hoses......

Stay safe out there.......

Unbelievable how bad this fire season (and last year's) has been here in California. It appears that we have entered a time in which the fire season has become year round, but candidly, right now is and was "fire season" here even in past decades. (I grew up on an orange grove that was threatened by and survived 3 firestorms, and my Dad was a 33 year veteran of a large fire department in which he had many wildland fire deployments.)

A year ago, I attended a 2 day Defensible Space Advisers Training seminar, which changed my perspective considerably. Not least was a new understanding of the concept not only on one's own property, but on the access roads fire personnel and equipment will need to use to defend one's property and neighborhood. (Of course, fire insurance premiums are also implicated in the decision to do this work.) Suffice it to say that there is a "triage" checklist (they don't call it that) being assessed just ahead of an advancing fire, in which the defensibility of one's property and safety of firefighters will determine whether fire resources will be deployed to make a stand at one's house. So, you better have done your work.

Consequently, my defensible space work on ~2.5 of my 6.4 acres has displaced almost all other work on my house since about February. Next Wednesday, I have a 16" chipper reserved to finish (I burned piles until close of burning season in spring and had one chipping day in July already). I can't wait to get those combustible piles of slash and forest debris gone! The amount of work to do this has been sobering. I'm too old to again be in trees with chainsaws, spending days limbing and removing fuel and/or bucking up wood. (I probably have 7 cords of firewood now, not including the couple I've given away.) Point is that there is a LOT of work to be done to improve the survivability of one's home, most don't have the resources, and it's not even close to being a guarantee that my house will survive a firestorm.

Talk about an age of fear! I don't ever want to work this hard again at something as dangerous to a 66 year old as this year has required. And I sure as hell don't want to lose the house and property if the place goes up in flames anyway. Keeping in mind that "there but for the grace of God go I" -- NO DOUBT that many in this horrendous "Camp" Fire and other fires have worked as hard and expended as much in resources as I have and still lost it all. God have MERCY on them, please!

EDIT to add: As the news agencies begin to report what they can get in to see after dawn today, a mere 24 hrs. since this fire started, I fear that they will be documenting something horrendous in terms of entrapment and loss of life, that the property loss may be dwarfed by that. Hope I'm wrong, but reports from late last night portend something terrible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tough fire season this year Gregory, I'd gladly send some PNW rain south if I could. Terrible there's another one to deal with...
~G
As much as people complained, we were fortunate this year in that we went from most of the state being in severe drought to, in about a month and a half, most of the state being outside of any drought rating at all. We got more than half of a normal annual rainfall in that 1.5 months and it was all over the state.

If you heard about people in Austin being told to boil their water, that was why. So much rain fell that it diluted the chlorination in the city water sources. In our town city personnel went around and flushed the pipes by turning on the fire hydrants and letting water run down the gutters and into the storm drains. I took it as a teaching moment to take my 4 yo grandson over to a running hydrant and "play" (talk about what it was, how strong the water was, cautions, and held him while he put his hands into it). The city guy came back around and he told my gs about how much was flowing and how much faster it could go. He even turned it up a little and the stream hit his truck with enough force to impress little gs with how loud it got and that the truck rocked (a little).

I don't ever want to work this hard again at something as dangerous to a 66 year old as this year has required.
Rich, the upside is all that physical labor is very good for your body. As long as you don't catch a chain saw to the face or fall out of a tree.

My central kali property backs up to a 40k+ acre ranch that hasn't burned in at least 50 years. So I keep my property at parade rest and hope for the best.

I don't ever want to work this hard again at something as dangerous to a 66 year old as this year has required.
Rich, the upside is all that physical labor is very good for your body. As long as you don't catch a chain saw to the face or fall out of a tree.
My central kali property backs up to a 40k+ acre ranch that hasn't burned in at least 50 years. So I keep my property at parade rest and hope for the best.
'Zactly, Don. Neighbor cooperation and participation is tough to come by, especially if they have to pay anything. I've done road access work on 3 other neighbors' properties - getting their permission, spending my time and money. Permission was assisted by informing them that it's possible to get the neighborhood certified as defensible space compliant, which would be a significant benefit in getting fire insurance and reducing the increases in its premiums. Another lure was me bucking up firewood at 16" and giving it to them.

And yes, the oldest guy in the neighborhood is the one getting the benefit of doing all that exercise.
rolleyes.gif
I'd rather go to yoga or play golf or ride or the gym or . . . .

Maintaining the defensible space is a year round job . My two acres is raked twice a year to keep the fuel off the floor and all trees are limbed up 10'. I'm lucky to have roads on two sides but have one neighbor that refuses to clean her lot up cause the little critters need a place to live.

Rich, Please don't post pictures of you in Yoga pants.
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Prayers for the Cali folks .

Prayers for y'all from here, too. (On our third straight day of rain; rain that we don't want.)

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
I don't wear yoga pants, Ray. Would that be a better photo op, or do you think I'd risk getting banned for that?
punk.gif

On defensible space being year round maintenance, you're right, but that's after you get the understory cleared out enough to have a base to maintain. But you know that.

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
I don't wear yoga pants, Ray. Would that be a better photo op, or do you think I'd risk getting banned for that?
punk.gif

On defensible space being year round maintenance, you're right, but that's after you get the understory cleared out enough to have a base to maintain. But you know that.
Right you are. My place had not seen any maintenance in at least ten years when I bought it. It took Patti and I a couple seasons with a tractor and chainsaw to get it in order. Glad I did it then cause I don't think I could do it now.
smile.png

Three of my close friends had to evacuate the SoCal Fire, and it crept up to the ridge of SportsGuy's neighborhood (whose residents were already dealing with the awful shooting). One of my friends won't know until likely tomorrow if their house is still standing.

The fire burned through the Paramount Ranch area (destroying the Westworld set) and this had me immediately wonder if the Rock Store is still intact, as it sits directly in the path of that fire. I sure hope it is spared.

Hope everyone here who is potentially impacted by this fire is safe and that property remains undamaged.

Sadly down here in South Louisiana it continues to rain. I cannot remember a time when we got this much rain for this long of a period. I sure wish I could send it towards California.

Sadly down here in South Louisiana it continues to rain. I cannot remember a time when we got this much rain for this long of a period. I sure wish I could send it towards California.
So do we... smoke was terrible here and we're 200+ miles away but I can't even fathom what it must be like up there or down south... so sad for the loss of so much... :(