Salute

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ARMY 82-86 Young and dumb just out of school. 2 years in Germany old Iron Curtain days. 1.5 In Colorado . Got to see some of the world. Changes your life forever mostly positive.

100 years since WW1 ended.

3 years with the infantry, 1 with an engineer unit, 3 with an MP unit in Germany, and one final year at an enlistment station. Best years of my life. Learned a lot from some fine officers. Some of whom I would have followed into anything. 1972 thru 1980.

USN '74-'94, thanks to the 17-18 year olds that made my jobs possible. Thanks to all who have served, all gave some, some gave all. JSNS

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of Air Force vets no longer with us, it was 11 years ago yesterday that we lost Andrew Knight (Orangevale FJR). One of the saddest days ever on this forum.
Miss you Andrew.
Andrew's passing left me with a silver lining... I knew him from another forum and they were directing everyone to this place for services, rides, etc... and that's when I met some of the finest people I know.

US Navy Submarine Force, 1976-1982. Hard-headed immature smartass kid going in; hard-headed immature smartass man going out.

Thanks to all y'all taxpayers for my GI Bill college education.

HUD and I were in the Navy at the same time, 1976 thru 1982. I was also offered the Nuke Propulsion program, (which means either being on a Carrier or being a bubblehead like him) but opted for the Advanced Electronics program instead. Both programs were 6 year enlistments for the advanced training, where you were an E-4 upon graduation from school. After Boot camp and Basic E&E in Orlando, my electronics technician A school used up the rest of the first year, and then as the top graduate of my class they invited me to stay-on and teach ET A school for the next 2 years.

After 3 years of hanging around NTC Great Lakes I was off for another 6 months of Crypto Equipment C school out at Mare Island in Vallejo, California. My final 2 1/2 years were onboard the USS Canisteo AO99 out of Nofuck, Vagina. That old oiler was an ocean cruisin machine. It didnt get anywhere fast, but that just meant you were underway longer. Made two six month long, winter-time Med cruises, and spent most of all three summers in the Caribbean.

Made E-6 (First Class Petty Officer) in 5 years and had a good shot at Chief in another year if I had stayed on. I never really minded military life, and would have stayed for the $16k tax free re-up bonus they were waving around at the time (seemed like a lot back then, and it was!) but I met with a local head hunter in Norfolk, and landed a much better deal working in Medical Electronic Imaging in my (and maybe more importantly, my wifes) home town of Boston. That move was the real life changer.

I am thankful for what the military did for me in several ways, and Id like to think I contributed something back. I taught about 1000 other guys (and a few gals) how electronic circuits work in those two years, and I enjoyed the teaching immensely. I hope it worked out for them too. Later I kept everything electronic running right on the ship, from radar, to nav gear, to communications and cryptography.

Im of the firm opinion that most 20 year old men would have a better life perspective if they spent a few years in the service.

Total agreement regarding young men giving a couple years in service. Because the vast majority of them today need guidance and discipline.
Never know how many might decide they like it and hang out for 20 years.

My son did 5 for the USMC and like you Fred he's now in the same field and also in the Boston area.

Total agreement regarding young men giving a couple years in service. Because the vast majority of them today need guidance and discipline. Never know how many might decide they like it and hang out for 20 years.

My son did 5 for the USMC and like you Fred he's now in the same field and also in the Boston area.
I remember the ride to San Diego!

DSC07992.JPG

HUD and I were in the Navy at the same time, 1976 thru 1982. I was also offered the Nuke Propulsion program, (which means either being on a Carrier or being a bubblehead like him) but opted for the Advanced Electronics program instead. Both programs were 6 year enlistments for the advanced training, where you were an E-4 upon graduation from school. After Boot camp and Basic E&E in Orlando, my electronics technician A school used up the rest of the first year, and then as the top graduate of my class they invited me to stay-on and teach ET A school for the next 2 years.
After 3 years of hanging around NTC Great Lakes I was off for another 6 months of Crypto Equipment C school out at Mare Island in Vallejo, California. My final 2 1/2 years were onboard the USS Canisteo AO99 out of Nofuck, Vagina. That old oiler was an ocean cruisin machine. It didnt get anywhere fast, but that just meant you were underway longer. Made two six month long, winter-time Med cruises, and spent most of all three summers in the Caribbean.

Made E-6 (First Class Petty Officer) in 5 years and had a good shot at Chief in another year if I had stayed on. I never really minded military life, and would have stayed for the $16k tax free re-up bonus they were waving around at the time (seemed like a lot back then, and it was!) but I met with a local head hunter in Norfolk, and landed a much better deal working in Medical Electronic Imaging in my (and maybe more importantly, my wifes) home town of Boston. That move was the real life changer.

I am thankful for what the military did for me in several ways, and Id like to think I contributed something back. I taught about 1000 other guys (and a few gals) how electronic circuits work in those two years, and I enjoyed the teaching immensely. I hope it worked out for them too. Later I kept everything electronic running right on the ship, from radar, to nav gear, to communications and cryptography.

Im of the firm opinion that most 20 year old men would have a better life perspective if they spent a few years in the service.
Absolutely agree with you Fred on all young men and women should do a couple years of service, military or other to the benefit of our country.

I was USN also from 83-92. I took the bait and went in the nuclear propulsion program. I also got offered to stay at Windsor Locks, CT to be an instructor, but turned it down because I saw that my assignment was to a Trident submarine in Bangor, WA where I wanted to go. (the rest of my class went to a carrier that was in the process of commissioning) I advanced similar as you did, top student in Electricians Mate A school, #2 in my class at prototype in CT. Made 2nd class (E5) at nuclear power school (1-1/2 years in), 1st class (E-6) at 3-1/2 years in while on board the USS Florida SSBN 728 gold crew, and went to the E-7 selection boards at 5-1/2 years in. I wasn't going to make it E-7, because I didn't have enough sea time yet. It was also about the time that they started downsizing the navy, so advancement opportunities were drying up across the navy.

It was time to get out in '92. It was also a great time too. One of my sea pups stayed in and went the LDO (Limited Duty Officer) Program. I went to his commissioning and then his retirement a few years ago. He retired as a LCDR (Lieutenant Commander) with 27 years in. His son is currently a freshman at the Naval Academy and will be a ring knocker on a few years.

Totally agree with the idea all young men and perhaps young women would greatly benefit from a stint in the military. Most need the discipline and exposure to camaraderie.

My military experience was positive. After graduating from college in 1966 10 days later I was on my way to Fort Jackson and then on to Fort Gordon. After basic 9 months at Fort Belvoir. The Viet Nam war was raging and I was sent to Eight Army HQ Seoul, Korea where I finished my military stint in April 1968. No regrets.