Yamaha MW125 Tricity three-wheel scooter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThwartedEfforts

Reaction score
I should preface this whole topic by saying I did not set out to buy this.

What I set out to do was look at the XMAX 300. I visited my local dealer, sat on one, boggled at how much quality-feeling Yamaha you could get for your money these days, then noticed the MW125 sulking in the corner with a REDUCED tag swinging from its left ear.

Two things were explained during the salesman’s efforts to keep me focused on the XMAX:
  • As an FJR owner I’d find 125cc too slow.
  • Every Tricity sits on its lot for an indefinite period of time waiting for a very specific buyer who will turn up randomly and ride it away that same afternoon. Inference being that buyers are strange.
I guess I spent two minutes being discouraged from even thinking about it before moving on.

And well, you know how it goes. I got home and that evening read what literally the entire internet had to say about the MW125. And I could not find a single bad word written anywhere. There were YouTube clips of people on NIKENs and Tricitys clearly being won over by Yamaha's approach, having originally dismissed the entire three-wheel concept as unnecessary and namby-pamby girl's business.

So in a fit of whimsy I phoned the dealer up the next day and bought it.

MW125_front.jpg

Maybe Tricity owners are a bit strange after all
fool.gif

I'll post a lengthier ride report later, but in short it's almost hilariously good.
  • You ride it, lean it, countersteer it just like a bike.
  • It doesn't stand up by itself. If you walk away without putting the side stand down you'll need to pick it up.
  • It's ultra light (164kg, about 360lbs) and the weight is ultra low so you won't need any help picking it up.
  • You only notice the third wheel when you dismount. That and the fact that front end is so unbelievably secure in all conditions as to make it feel like cheating.
  • I've managed to slide the front and rear ends simultaneously on a wet muddy back road and continue on my journey without the need to stop by a laundromat.
  • It corners without any of the twitchiness I associate with low-power bikes and scooters. It is not affected by wind.
  • The twist-n-go approach coupled with all weather confidence makes every journey a stress-free delight. Honestly, I've not had this much enjoyment on a bike since I was a kid. The bike is brand new, has fewer than 100 miles but is already filthy because I've not stopped riding it regardless of the weather.
  • The ABS brakes need a good tug but make your eyes pop out.
  • I've also been reintroduced to an old game: how many sparks can the centre stand make?
  • I do want more power. I cannot overtake anyone. I remain stuck behind 35mph dawdlers the same way car drivers are. It should top out around 70mph, though the engine is new, the conditions are crappy and I've not seen more than 58mph. In essence, it takes the FJR less than 10 seconds to double my top speed.

Color me intrigued.

Without going full disclosure, how many Ks?

Im interested as a future possibility.

Nice. I test rode a Piaggio MP3 years ago and loved it. Too pricey for me at the time, but it did lock the front end vertical at stops, so no worries about falling over when stopped. Have fun.

You're not helping.
no.gif

I too have always thought I'd jump up from my 150cc although I wouldn't want it in something bigger or heavier. For how I've used it though I could probably be fine with the 125, especially as a trade-off for a Mini-Ni. But again, no point even thinking of such things if they can't get across the pond. Hmm. Going to the show next weekend. Maybe I'll have to do some prodding at the Yamaha display.

Nice. I test rode a Piaggio MP3 years ago and loved it. Too pricey for me at the time, but it did lock the front end vertical at stops, so no worries about falling over when stopped. Have fun.
From what I've been reading Piaggio's patents were the reason Yamaha's design went the way it did.

I should preface this whole topic by saying I did not set out to buy this.

What I set out to do was look at the XMAX 300. I visited my local dealer, sat on one, boggled at how much quality-feeling Yamaha you could get for your money these days, then noticed the MW125 sulking in the corner with a REDUCED tag swinging from its left ear.

Two things were explained during the salesman’s efforts to keep me focused on the XMAX:
  • As an FJR owner I’d find 125cc too slow.

Every Tricity sits on its lot for an indefinite period of time waiting for a very specific buyer who will turn up randomly and ride it away that same afternoon. Inference being that buyers are strange.
I guess I spent two minutes being discouraged from even thinking about it before moving on.

And well, you know how it goes. I got home and that evening read what literally the entire internet had to say about the MW125. And I could not find a single bad word written anywhere. There were YouTube clips of people on NIKENs and Tricitys clearly being won over by Yamaha's approach, having originally dismissed the entire three-wheel concept as unnecessary and namby-pamby girl's business.

So in a fit of whimsy I phoned the dealer up the next day and bought it.

MW125_front.jpg

" hilariously good." and

"without the need to stop by a laundromat."

Liked your post: A)because a small two wheeler can be a kick around town. And B) we all know what pucker moments are like. Love the laundromat reference! Have fun.

I like it didn't know YAM made smaller 3 wheeled scooter. Read many reviews about NIKEN and its a good idea.

Good around town but heavy and lacking power. CVT belt drives work well and acceleration is better than most think. Engine is always in the sweet spot to get it moving.

Tires aren't broken it yet traction will improve TITS.

I have a Honda Silver Wing scooter love it. I hope something like that makes it to US but with a larger engine. Not Piaggio though. I'll stick with the big four YAM Honda KAW or SUZ. Many more dealers and parts plus reliability.

DR Pulley makes sliders for the drive clutch that can improve acceleration and lower RPM's . Replaces the rollers with a shaped slider. Best of both worlds faster and better gas mileage. Don't know if made for your scoot or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Piaggio (and the Gilera Fuoco, which is essentially a restyled MP3) was a bit wide and a bit heavy. The MW125 fits through my back gate:

back_gate.jpg

This might seem like a random feat, but it demonstrates just how narrow it is, and is useful of an evening when I come home and discover my wife and/or children have festooned the garage with bicycles. I just open the back gate, push the thing through and tap on the kitchen window.

For comparison: MW125 is 29" across, XMax 30.5", MP3 31.5", my old Norge 34", big old pianos like the R1250GS, Wing etc. are over 35"
weirdsmiley.gif

So, being you got me intrigued with this, I did ask about it coming here while at the bike show in NYC last weekend. First guy I asked was the one watching me as I sat on the Niken. He then learned from me that Yamaha even made such a thing. The next was a younger rep who was walking around by the scooters and dirt bikes. He knew about it and was under the belief that the Tricity was slated to be discontinued. Maybe it was the test-mule for the Niken? He wasn't sure though, only that he knew of no plans to offer it in the States. Oh well.

Years ago there were rumours of Yamaha discontinuing the Tricity in key commuter-oriented markets like Thailand, but instead it grew to 155cc and the whispers were replaced with talk of a 300cc version.

The fact Yamaha USA includes the 'Scooter' section as an afterthought in the design and layout of their web site makes me think you're just not going to get it. And while it has not always been the case (I've often joked that, were the choice available, I'd like to be reincarnated in America in the 50s so I could stand on a busy street corner in the 60s and watch cars), when it comes to the present day Uncle Sam is missing out.

My view of the Tricity is unchanged. A shame that scooters get overlooked when they are just as much fun as motorcycles, only cheaper and easier to live with - particularly if you live bang in the middle of town or on the edge of a city. They just have a PR problem outside Europe and Asia.

Does need more power though
lazy.gif