New (and successful) Post Winter Start-up

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conwest

Reaction score
Well, where do I start?!

Some of u may recall my post of a few months ago, in terms of how I was going to approach the much dreaded engine start after a long layoff. As many of us have gathered over the years, from this board and others, the fjr displays the awfully annoying trait of: will not f****** start. Particularly after a long cold winter.

Around here, the winter temps come on fast and furious by mid October. Hence, my machine is down for about 5 months, in an unheated garage: battery out; treated fuel; never is run; charge battery every 6-7 weeks. We shovel a lot of snow, too. Now, come March, I`m beginning to itch and I have got to go out to the garage and get the machine running...and it just doesn`t want to... not in the almost 5 years that I`ve had this thing... never had a problem with any other bike I`ve had (and I`ve had more than a few). After reading many posts here and other places, the generally accepted view is: the FJR floods at first attempt.

Over the last few years I adopted the throttle WFO approach. After one helluva lot of cranking, draining the battery, cursing yadda yadda yadda...it would finally start. But, it`s gotta be hard on that starter motor. I knew there had to be a better way, and there is. Gents and ladies, I do believe I have found the answer, at least in the cold regions of our land(s).

You see, I (like others) realize the bikes FI system design is at fault here. Namely, the FI is over- compensating for the data the computer receives from the sensors (air, coolant etc). In other words, it is dumping too much fuel in the cylinders thus snuffing out the spark/fire. After much thinking about this premise, I decided to put my money where my mouth is. I went to CTC and purchsed a "Canadian Polar Pad"...essentially... a hydraulic reservoir heater. It`s a pad about 3x5 ", 250 watts and a heavy duty cord. Designed to be permanently attached to oil pans and the like (which I wasn`t going to do for a motorcycle and it`s once a year event), I affixed it to a piece of alluminum that I salvaged from the chassis of an old decommissioned Heathkit receiver. It has it`s own adhesive (peel and stick). Then I slid this baby between the pipes and the oil pan, alluminum side up. There was still some gap there so I had to prop it up with a small carpenters square so that it was tight against the pan surface...plug her in and keep watch over it for a while then intermittently throughout the day.

Once I determined it was safe, I left her alone. I let this baby do it`s thing overnight. When I got back in the morning, that engine was toasty warm...the oil pan was HOT. In the last few hours I set up a small ceramic heater on my shop stool and pointed it toward the rad to get that component and it`s contents warm. I threw my bike cover on and let things alone for another 3 hours. All totalled, the pan heater was working for 27 1/2 hours.

Eleven oclock rolls around and it`s showtime. Remove the portable equipment, install the freshly charged battery (still the original ) and btw, the whole bike is really warm now...still below zero outside though. Turn on ignition and...erererer....VVRROOOOOOOM. Nirvana! It has never started so easy at this time of year.

Sorry about the long post...just had to share the joy. :clapping:

Last edited by a moderator:
Frugal use of paragraphs aside a most excellent write-up! :clapping:

Makes some serious sense. And it's a timely article with our Northern brethren soon firing up things up in the cold.

It's also possibly pinnable with a bit of tweaking. If you're interested, send a PM.

I'm just lucky, I guess. Mine started perfectly last spring after several months of winter storage. It was in the middle of July when my buddy showed up on his '76 KZ900 that it wouldn't start.

Fooled with it on and off for a week, still wouldn't start. Finally, just before a planned trip to the local dealer, it started reluctantly with the WFO treatment. Probably the same issue, if Radman is correct, and I think he is: Didn't warm it up completely before shutting down. Computer thinks its STILL cold and floods it out.

Either way, WFO is the answer to 99% of the nonstart issues we see here. Thanks for a good report.

Charlie

I...purchsed a "Canadian Polar Pad"......Designed to be permanently attached to oil pans...Then I slid this baby between the pipes and the oil pan....plug her in...I let this baby do it`s thing overnight. When I got back in the morning, that engine was toasty warm......install the freshly charged battery....still below zero outside though. Turn on ignition and...erererer....VVRROOOOOOOM. Nirvana!
When we had to be absolutely, positively sure the tractor on our farm in Missouri started during the winter we would put it to bed with a couple of blankets over the motor and one or two 100W light bulbs turned on under the oil pan. Just be sure there is a bit of space between the pan and the bulbs. This low buck technology should be transferable to our FJR if you choose not to go the Canadian Polar Pad route.

Good write up, thanks for sharing! Glad it worked for you. So, did you ride it around the garage? ;)

conwest, my car has a Canadian winter package. All I do is plug my car in and let the block heater work over night then my car starts right up in the morning, and I have heat by the end of my driveway.

I...purchsed a "Canadian Polar Pad"......Designed to be permanently attached to oil pans...Then I slid this baby between the pipes and the oil pan....plug her in...I let this baby do it`s thing overnight. When I got back in the morning, that engine was toasty warm......install the freshly charged battery....still below zero outside though. Turn on ignition and...erererer....VVRROOOOOOOM. Nirvana!
When we had to be absolutely, positively sure the tractor on our farm in Missouri started during the winter we would put it to bed with a couple of blankets over the motor and one or two 100W light bulbs turned on under the oil pan. Just be sure there is a bit of space between the pan and the bulbs. This low buck technology should be transferable to our FJR if you choose not to go the Canadian Polar Pad route.

Good write up, thanks for sharing! Glad it worked for you. So, did you ride it around the garage? ;)

conwest, my car has a Canadian winter package. All I do is plug my car in and let the block heater work over night then my car starts right up in the morning, and I have heat by the end of my driveway.
This reminded me of something.

I used to own a '68 Volkswagen Bus.

It had what was known as an "oil heater", an element sealed within a fat drain plug/plate. Air-cooled, of course.

Works like a block heater in cars with radiators.

At -40 C, that baby always started. Maybe there is something aside from the propane torch under the oilpan that Canadians can do to ensure smoother opening day action when spring hits. Most of our southern brothers wouldn't have much of an idea of how we keep the regular iron rolling in our bone-numbing cold, but I've heard of some very inventive solutions.

By the way, that was a damned funny comment about riding around in the garage. Made me think of the guy who bought my Honda, and had me deliver it to his place because he had no license. I left when my wife picked me up, but had forgotten to leave the buyer with a registration copy, so we returned.

I found him in the garage, up on the double-stand, revving the sh!t out of it. I think he was embarrassed.

Thanks for the info. Heat is definitely the way to go. I think in part you were sucesful becasue you left it on for so long. It takes along while to warm up the insides good.

I did experience the no start once. But my bike was in the basement at 60 degrees when it happened! It had been sitting a few weeks. A quick fix without all the starter torture is to loosen the two bolts on the front of the gas tank and prop it up with a roll of duct tape. Unplug the fuel pump to stop the disease. Crank a few seconds with WOT to clear the engine. Mine popped a few times and stopped responding so I knew it must have dried up. Pluged the pump back in and it started right up. This minimizes the cranking time on the starter.

Starters do not like the torture treatment and they will pay you back with a BIG repair bill.

Since then, if the bike has sat much, I just crack the throttle open a little before I crank and hold it there it in hopes of getting it lit before it floods. If you think the start cycle is too rich, which we all do, you conpensate with more air right? So far so good with that technique.

Sniff sniff, honey, is there something burning in the garage? Yep, just warming her up dear. :lol:

fjrburnbike001.jpg

fjrburnbike012.jpg

Give a man a match and he will be warm for the night. Set him on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life :eek:

Man! That is really painfull to look at.

On the other hand, it is probably the quickest way to get all the tupperware off for service! :blink:

I'll bet that was due to a defective side stand, tip over, fuel spill incident. :)

Man! That is really painfull to look at.
I met and rode with the guy on the recent Napa run who completely rebuilt this bike from the state in which you see it. He is still working on the finer points of the restoration, but still unbelievable. Someone is gonna have to remind me of his licence plate, very appropriate for the bike.

In case you missed this?

burned fjr 2005, resurrection before and after

fjr1300003.jpg

I had the no start problem yesterday for the first time since I had the bike ('06) and the bike was in a heated garage for the last 2 weeks and had been started briefly last week. The only way I could get it started again was the WFO approach and lots of cranking. Prior to being in a heated garage, I had the bike in a non-heated (read as freezing) garage for the 2 months prior and would start it and bring it up to temperature every couple of weeks. I'm with CharlieHoss and Radman and think the whole problem was that the last time I had started it I had only let it run for 30 seconds or so rather than letting it come up to temperature.

I'm with CharlieHoss and Radman and think the whole problem was that the last time I had started it I had only let it run for 30 seconds or so rather than letting it come up to temperature.
I think you are right about that. The only time I had the problem I washed the bike in the driveway, then started it up and rode around the house to put it in the basement. The bike never warmed up. 3 weeks later, even though it was warm in the basement it wouldn't start.

I wish I understood exactly what was happening here.

the fjr displays the awfully annoying trait of: will not f****** start. Particularly after a long cold winter.
2003s maybe. Never had a problem with the 04.