VA to Boise, ID June 2019

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vthokies03

Reaction score
I have a national meeting in Boise, ID June 27-30 2019.

After visiting Boise earlier this year, I mentally started to plan the ride. I traded my beloved FZ1 in for the FJR. I have started riding longer and longer distances this year, and I just could not wrap my head around trying to do this trip on the FZ1. The fz1 is great in corners and we did some long trips, a couple of 800 and a 600 mile weekend. I just could not see stringing those together for about 2500 miles one way. I was really glad to get of the FZ1 after 800 miles.

I am starting on working on some of the details. I have taken 2 weeks off from work and I have the hotel in Boise booked. I know that time and weather will dictate the final path of travel, but it never hurts to start looking now.

As it stands right now, another guy and I are going to make the trip. We will meet others out there, and maybe along the path.

He wants to go to Milwaukee and go see the HD museum. Initial plans are to leave way early sat morning and ride 81 down towards Paducah, KY and then to head north and skirt the west part of Chicago. I want to get an SS1K done that first day, then we can relax and go as we feel after that.

I figured it would be nice to hotel in Milwaukee that first night and then walk around the HD museum the next day. I imagine it will be nice to stretch the legs out that day, and do a short ride that day.

The weather will dictate which route and our sleeping plans from Milwaukee to Boise. If its cold, the more southern the route, the hotter it is, the more north we will head.

We will have about 1750 miles from Milwaukee to Boise. The plan is to slowly take them leaving Milwaukee on Sunday and arriving in Boise Thursday.

Im sure we will end up on a couple of rides over the weekend and at some point Sunday we will head back east.

Anyone have any recommendations on what to see/do/ paths to take or any preferred places to stay? We are planning on taking a tent and hammocks.

I am working on getting me and the bike ready for the trip already. The bike got a suspension upgrade and new tires last month. I hope to wear through those tires before I head out west. Pretty sure I dont want to have to deal with a tire change on the trip, but I understand that is something I might have to contend with.

I picked up a used Laam seat and cant wait to try that out. The stock seat worked for about an hour, and the sergeant seat worked for about 2 hours. Two hours about works out for needing to stop and stretch and fill the tank, drink more water and empty the bladder.

the wish list for me and the bike for the trip:

Neotec II helmet

Sena SRL for Neotech

Garmin 396

new jacket and pants (looking at Klim Latitude)

I am going to try to pick this stuff up right after the holidays. I am planning to try some test runs on all the stuff to DC, TN, KY and I am sure Ill find some other places to head. (the TN trip looks to be the same weekend as the SEOR meet up
sad.png

Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want Klim gear, make sure you contact Alex Johnson at Black Hills Moto...he offers forum members a very nice discount.

I strongly recommend you consider adding a northeast-of-Boise excursion & stop at the Southfork Lodge in Lowman, ID. https://www.southforklodgeidaho.com/

Buddies and I have stopped there on a long distance trip through Idaho both in 2017, and this past August too. Awesome roads to get in there from each direction (through the Salmon - Challis National Forest), and if you do stop for an overnight (or just a meal) at the lodge, they are great hosts, cook some delictible food, and have a decent selection of beers.

cyclepath,

Thanks!! We drove right by that place earlier this year. We stayed in Stanley and drove right past it on the way back to Boise. It was really disappointing to be in a car!!!!

Joe,

I have contacted him already. I think I will wait till after Christmas. I would hate to take a present out from under someone's Christmas tree.

I cant wait to go back to the sawtooths, that is one beautiful place. I am hoping to run through Yellowstone also.

Matt

Glad that resonated with you vthokies03.

Out here (we live 6 hours north of Montana's north border), we head south through various Idaho highways whenever we can tie them into our distance trip routes.

A straight line from Milwaukee to Boise has a few interesting places close to it that I'm glad we stopped at. Badlands, Little Bighorn, Mt Rushmore and Wall Drug were all worth a couple hours each. Yellowstone, a couple days. I'll add DAYS to my next trip to ride Beartooth Pass again.

Shell Canyon (US14) in WY, Chief Joseph Pass, Beartooth Pass (US 212), Lolo Pass (US 12) Lolo MT West into ID should give you some to work with. There are more good roads than you have time to ride!