2019 Iron Butt Rides

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
August 16th marks 10 years since my initial IBA cert. ride. I am 11 individual certificates short of my goal, thus I want to get these rides accomplished next year. I really would like to do some rides with other riders and not ride them all solo. Here are some rides that I am considering:

The Jacksonville sponsored BBG

CAPE TO CAPE Gold

Earth To Moon To Earth. On July 16th
(50th anniversary of Apollo 11 Launch which will earn special cert.)

4 SEASONS AWARD
Ride on each of the two equinoxes and both solstices.

Multi BBG ride on I-90

I am up for other suggestions also.

Thanks,
-Tony

Last edited by a moderator:
Don, I cut back this year on cycling due to time and cost. This year was my 1st year that I did not ride at least 30k since 2009 when I joined the IBA. 2019 I feel I need to wrap things up and prepare for retirement. After I retire, the budget will be much tighter. I also need several surgeries for knees and a hip. So pressure is on to get these done, then my cycling will be at a much different pace.

Call me when you retire. It's been a while since I have done some long distance days.

Good luck,

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Scott,

Everything got changed this past year. A hurricane canceled the Cape to Cape ride. The cost canceled the Space Chase ride, and a friend rode up to Newfoundland and came back with very positive comments. So I want to do NE Canada off the clock and enjoy it.

Multi BBG ride on I-90

I am up for other suggestions also.

Thanks,

-Tony
Well instead of "multi BBG ride on I-90", how about multi BBG ride up n down I-95. I hear it's clear sailing up and down that coast. :)

So when you get these last 11 cert rides completed Tony, what will your total be?

Up and down I-95 sounds much like the IBA's East Coast 2000 Challenge. (Except I-95 between DC and Maine is the pits.)

Hey, Pathfinder: why multiple BBGs on I-90? Wouldn't it be easier on I-94 between Fargo and Billings?

I actually pulled off a ride called the EAST COAST 2000

It was set for 48 hours. I was able to do it in 33 hours.

Madawaska,ME to Key West. It was all about timing and luck.

I hope to have the Titanium level (60 certs.) There are different qualifications under mile eater, which means no overlapping of rides.

Mike, are you riding this years IBR?

Earth To Moon To Earth. On July 16th(50th anniversary of Apollo 11 Launch which will earn special cert.)
Tony - looking real hard at doing this ride. Remember to stop off at Uranus on the way to the Moon.
rolleyes.gif

Very ambitious, Tony. More power to you
Dan, Got to make up for this past year. You ran a business and still had more saddle time than I did.

Good luck on your upcoming adventure.

Earth To Moon To Earth. On July 16th(50th anniversary of Apollo 11 Launch which will earn special cert.)
Tony - looking real hard at doing this ride. Remember to stop off at Uranus on the way to the Moon.
rolleyes.gif
Love to ride with you again… if I can keep up.

Tony, you need to attempt the Deca...it's calling your name
smile.png
And you CAN do it!! When boredom sets in on day #8, you can think about all the other rides you want to do.
Dan Simmonds
Thanks Dan

I am thinking of the Deca on I-90 with no trailer pick up (Or other deviations)
rolleyes.gif

I was waiting for you to attempt the ride that you had mentioned earlier (?) I did not want it to look

like I was trying to equal your rides, as I could never do that. My health issues are increasing and it

looks like its next year or never on the attempt. I am thinking 2 10/10ths next year. I don't want to end up

with 13.
sadsmiley.gif

Very respectful of you to say that, but don't worry about me my friend, I'd honestly be your biggest supporter on completing the Deca hands-down regardless of when you do it.

The current ride plan for me through 2019 / 2020 is this:

1) Australia for a month again in early 2019 (might be back in time for JAX, might not).

2) IBR in June of '19

3) 30-day BBG attempt in late '19 or early '20

Depending on your timing I might slip out to I-90 and do BBG #10 with you during your Deca as long as it doesn't mess up your rhythm, etc.

Dan