No High Beams?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nesbocaj

Reaction score
:blink: So I leave work last night at 9:30 pm., get to a dark section, flip on the high beams, nope, just low beams, damn it was dark.

So I get home (in the rain) today from work and check the Hi-Lo beam switch, that is fine.

Next move? Check the relays?

Bob

Check your bulbs. It wouldn't be the first time that both high beams went out at the same time. What brand are they?

dobias <_<

Stock, 12,000 miles.

FjrNJ had a good suggestion to test the voltage at the bulbs to see if I am getting juice to the high beams, I doubt it as the H-beam indicator does not light. But that is a good step in troubleshooting this deal.

thanks!!

Bob

I had both my high beams go out at the same time, so that could very well be the problem. I now have a modulator on my highs, and it modulates the blue indicator with the headlights. In other words it flashes the indicator. Therefore I am ASSuming, if the headlights go out, so does the blue indicator. Frankly, I never looked at it when my bulbs blew out.

Certainly it could be something else. Let us know what you figure out.

Last edited by a moderator:
:D After removing panels a,b,c,d (efgh....) I went to jiggle (Hi-tech repair term) each relay to check for loose leads. The starboard relay connection was loose and off it's rubber mount. Pushed the connector back together, taped it as it's tabs have given up, remounted it (that was fun), we have LIGHT!

I swear I'm going to move all the electrics on that bike to places more accessable.

Thanks to all for their help,

BobJ

Bob, so you're saying it was the plug at the back of the light? What relays are you talking about? You've got me worried, now....

I know those plugs behind the healights aren't the sturdiest things in the world. Some parts of this bike (not many) are just chintzy.

I was digging through the search feature to see if I could see how to resolve my issue with my headlights. I went to activate my high beams a few evenings ago and they turned off completely. The high beam indicator stayed lit as if they high beams had come on. The lights both went out when I turned the HB's on... Then cars started flashing me while running with the low beams on... Weirdness. I have not yet pulled the bulbs (too damned busy right now). I can't seem to see anything fishy by eyeballing 'em so I thought that I would float this problem with you guys. Electrics, as must be apparent by now, ain't my forté...

John.

EDIT: The high beams are definitely out. Was just using it outside of the city at night and low beams only... Strange that the lows don't just stay on when I switch to burnt-out high beams.

Last edited by a moderator: