What should I use to glue on a CF stator cover?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkooterG

Purveyor of Crooked Facts
Reaction score
I've had this thing for years. Time to mount it. Looking for advice on what type of adhesive to use to glue it to the stator cover.......

Eoo9ZoLh.jpg

xktLarIh.jpg

I just bought a pair of case saver plates for my DRZ 400 and it came with Clear RTV Silicone Adhesive & Sealant. I used JB Weld on my XR650L plates but I'm thinking the clear silicone will be much easier.

20190109_234144-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on the RTV. JB Weld is hard and inflexible when cured and I wouldn't assume that it would hold as well whereas the RTV forms a good bond and is flexible. While something like polyurethane glue (aka Gorilla Glue) will fill gaps and form a very strong bond, it foams a bit during curing - part may need to be securely clamped and the foamed glue will sometimes leak out and make a mess that is impossible to clean up.

I use a thin coat of JB Weld to glue on door, fender skins etc. for body repair...they will never come off..better than spot welding...

RTV will be somewhat elastic and allow you to remove the cover and clean up the adhesive if you ever need to do that. Something like JB Weld will be more permanent.

Why not use number plate tape?
Any kind of non-curing sticky tape probably isn't the best bet in a locations where high temperatures may be encountered. While it might hold forever at "normal" ambient temperatures, it might not fare so well at higher temps. (or am I not understanding what you mean by number plate tape?)

I wouldn't recommend JB Weld. If you ever want to revert it, that's a possible issue for clean up.

I have one of the original CF covers on mine and it recommended RTV. It's still there after 15 years.

Black RTV Adhesive Sealant. I removed the tuning fork badges on the tank and used the RTV to mount one on the back fender. Also used to mount Fenda Extenda and a piece window screen to the radiator guard.

Mine came with adhesive, of course that was in 2003!
bike.gif
Your`re welcome.
sleep.png

From one smartass to another:
fuck.gif

Thanks boys and girls. I too mounted one back in 2004 on my first FJR with whatever adhesive that came with it. That thing stayed on and was never coming off. Despite a few actual road tests to try and remove it. I believe I have two other CF covers laying around other than the one above and one of them came with a tube/roll of "Sikaflex 221" which is now of course solid.

I don't plan on ever removing it, so sounds like either RTV or JB Weld will work.

Thanks again.