Clutch actuation cylinder

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flars

Reaction score
2008 model.

Looks like the seal in my slave cylinder has failed after sitting for two months...fluid just runs out of the bottom of the (properly torqued) slave cylinder. Parts fiche shows only a complete assembly, but the service manual shows a seal inside the cylinder with 'NEW' pointing to it, indicating the seal mast be changed when the slave is disassembled.

Any idea on how to get possession of a new seal for this beauty?

Perhaps you should just purchase one from Ebay. I never heard of one of these failing before, so the odds are the used one you would buy would last as long as you do.

2008 model.Looks like the seal in my slave cylinder has failed after sitting for two months...fluid just runs out of the bottom of the (properly torqued) slave cylinder. Parts fiche shows only a complete assembly, but the service manual shows a seal inside the cylinder with 'NEW' pointing to it, indicating the seal mast be changed when the slave is disassembled.

Any idea on how to get possession of a new seal for this beauty?
My slave cylinder was leaking on my 07 sometime after 100,000 miles on it and I'm not the only one that's had the problem. I checked around at the time and no one knew of a part number for seals, so I just bought a slave for a newer model FJR to replace it. I can't remember the exact years, but I know the 07 had a different slave cylinder than Gen I bikes and later Gen II bikes. The clutch pull was harder on the 07 and the newer (or older part numbers) are a direct replacement and lead to a lighter pull. Not sure if the 08 is the same as my 07, but a search of this forum will tell you. You can check an online parts fiche to verify what year part number to order.

Last edited by a moderator:
On my 07 I installed a Gen, 1 {2003-2005} slave cylinder which definitely had a softer pull.

{I heard the AE, which came out in 06, required a longer "throw" to work correctly, so the ratio of the "slave" was changed for ALL Gen. 2 FJR's}.

I also don't know if they "softened" the pull on the 08 and later.

If I was flush, I would install the "16" "slipper and assist" clutch and really get a light pull.

I ordered a used slave cylinder off a 2006. Should be back in service soon, I hope.